Pandora Desktop

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
I hope I won't get banned for posting too much here lately, but would it be a good idea to make Pandora Desktop? Would it be easier and cheaper to make Pandora Desktop.  I would buy one in a heartbeat.  For me, I would use the desktop one at home doing heavy duty task, and the portable one for on-the-go.  :D

Hmm, desktop pandora, desktop pandora? Don't we have something like that? Oh right, it's called a desktop pc running linux. Seriously please think your questions through a bit before posting.

Hmm, desktop pandora, desktop pandora? Don't we have something like that? Oh right, it's called a desktop pc running linux. Seriously please think your questions through a bit before posting.
But with Pandora brand... Hmm. .. it maybe a different thing.

I hope I won't get banned for posting too much here lately,
Nobody's ever get banned for asking stupid question, in the other hand the reputation build up...
Hey! Don't want to start an argument here and derail the topic, but there's a saying "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig suggested this once, everyone seemed to be all for it, but it really does breakdown when you look at it deeper.

Why would someone buy a Pandora desktop when they can most definitely get an Ouya, RasPi, or BeagleBone for much, much cheaper? What benefit does the Pandora have over anything else? It has portability, substantial battery life, good controls and keyboard (for a handheld). But the instant you start talking about tethering it to a TV all of those benefits disappear: it's no longer portable at all, it doesn't need battery life, and you can easily grab any controller and keyboard you want.

There may be room for yet-another-open-source-console, but simply taking the Pandora and plugging it into a TV wouldn't be it; it would need to be redesigned as such, removing the battery and keyboard, and then you're not really designing anything that can be called a handheld console anymore :p

Craig suggested this once, everyone seemed to be all for it, but it really does breakdown when you look at it deeper.

Why would someone buy a Pandora desktop when they can most definitely get an Ouya, RasPi, or BeagleBone for much, much cheaper? What benefit does the Pandora have over anything else? It has portability, substantial battery life, good controls and keyboard (for a handheld). But the instant you start talking about tethering it to a TV all of those benefits disappear: it's no longer portable at all, it doesn't need battery life, and you can easily grab any controller and keyboard you want.

There may be room for yet-another-open-source-console, but simply taking the Pandora and plugging it into a TV wouldn't be it; it would need to be redesigned as such, removing the battery and keyboard, and then you're not really designing anything that can be called a handheld console anymore :p
But I think the Pandora community is stronger than those you mentioned?  What I'm trying to say is that the desktop would be a Companion to the handheld one and Pandora lovers, like myself, would buy one and hence increase Pandora profits?

Raspberry Pi's community is huge compared ours..

I would get a Pandora console on the proviso that it had HDMI and it was compatible with the handheld. I only use TV-Out as a means to get Pandora on the TV... but it's only using SVideo and the joypad support and TV-Out isn't quite there...

If there was a console I could either cloud-sync saves or at least just plugin my Pandora SD cards, I'd definitely be interested.

But I think the Pandora community is stronger than those you mentioned?  What I'm trying to say is that the desktop would be a Companion to the handheld one and Pandora lovers, like myself, would buy one and hence increase Pandora profits?
W?? are you talking about?

Pandora is a linux machine. What is the different with having a branded linux Pandora or a regular Linux PC ? None ! Especially since all software on Pandora is already available on Linux PC and is much easier to use there. 

Pandora only makes sense as a portable device, because it fills a gap there. On the desktop there is NO gap. 

I would like an x86 version of SuperZaxxon, just saying...
You can just download any Distribution of Linux you want, use XFCE4.. tada an interface like Pandora's version of Angstrom...

With a few exceptions everything in our repo can be downloaded for regular Desktop flavours of Linux.

If you want PNDs the ones in the repo won't work as they're compiled for ARM... it's easier just to download the desktop versions from a repository or download it from a website.

Ubuntu is cool and all, but it is very laggy. I like SZ better also, because the PND Repo
You dont seem to realize there are repositories in other distributions. Where you can install things much faster than with the Pandora Repo. 

Have you ever used Linux. It seems to me you do not know what you are talking about. 

A Dock for the Pandora to transform it into a desktop might be the go.  Like with the Ubuntu Edge . Just my random idea

Ubuntu is cool and all, but it is very laggy. I like SZ better also, because the PND Repo

You dont seem to realize there are repositories in other distributions. Where you can install things much faster than with the Pandora Repo. 

Have you ever used Linux. It seems to me you do not know what you are talking about.
Again with the asinine comments? Id really appreciate it if you would stop. Im fully aware of the various repos out there. I use f-droid.org on my phone and Ubuntu software center. There are lots of repos for all the distros. I just like the software for the pandora. I dont see how liking the pandora would lead you to think I dont usr Linux....

Repo will not work on X86.. as the applications are compiled for ARM Architecture.
Yes, I realize thatm I was just saying "it would be nice" to have x86, but ya all of tge software would have to be recompiled

Again with the asinine comments? Id really appreciate it if you would stop. Im fully aware of the various repos out there. I use f-droid.org on my phone and Ubuntu software center. There are lots of repos for all the distros. I just like the software for the pandora. I dont see how liking the pandora would lead you to think I dont usr Linux....

Repo will not work on X86.. as the applications are compiled for ARM Architecture.
Yes, I realize thatm I was just saying "it would be nice" to have x86, but ya all of tge software would have to be recompiled
Keep dreaming. ;)

Maybe you should have bought a Mac. OSX has the App Store which is like the Repo and you can redownload purchases easily.

Yeah, again because what you say does not make ANY sense. 

All the software available on Pandora is available on all the other repos out there. Maybe the only exception being DraStic, but then DSmune works well enough on laptops so you don't need DraStic for x86 anyway. 

So what software do you "like" on Pandora's repo which is not out there everywhere else ? 

On top of that in case you did not realize, even if the repo stuff could be reused somewhere else the key mapping of most games would not make sense on a desktop because of the different controls. 

Really, does not make any sense. 

Back