Using Pandora as primary device?

If you want to show presentations it's better to gom for DisplayLink.

DL is not for games and films.

I give you the Link later that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a great question.

I wonder, what are the shortcomings in the Pandora, for everyone, that prevent it from functioning as a main system?

I wonder, what are the shortcomings in the Pandora, for everyone, that prevent it from functioning as a main system?
I'm afraid this is going to sound quite negative, but please don't get me wrong, I like the Pandora.
Primarily, is that most of the software I use is Windows based, and it's not a Windows device, and isn't powerful enough to run a Win7 image through QEmu sufficiently.

It's also the worst device I've ever used for browsing the web in all honesty, with it waiting a lot longer for a page to load than my phone does on the same WiFi network. "iwconfig wlan0 power off" helps a bit, but not much.

No real HDMI support.

No MS office. (Powerpoint IS better than LibreOffice impress)

Little bit faster would be great as well.

It's also the worst device I've ever used for browsing the web in all honesty, with it waiting a lot longer for a page to load than my phone does on the same WiFi network. "iwconfig wlan0 power off" helps a bit, but not much.
A phone is also the worst device to type anything on the web or email. Only for that the Pandora wins over a phone anytime for web usage.

No real HDMI support.

No real HDMI support.

Powerpoint IS made by a company that charges for its software and the comparison does not really make sense.

Can you do presentations on the Pandora? The answer is yes.

Can you view Powerpoint presentations on the Pandora ? Yes, again.

I don't see much drawback there, especially seeing how most people use Powerpoint (i.e. in the worst possible way)

I haven't used a Microsoft office suit in 7 years at work.. I haven't found anything I couldn't do with free software with Linux.

Actually, hah, I thought about it, and sure, I also don't believe the Pandora makes a good primary device. For myself, its mostly that I need my Blender and a large screen. (Blender is on the Pandora, but it doesn't run well, CPU only).

However, I do try to set it up as a pretty strong supporting device that can stand on it's own once in a while.

The most critical pieces of software so far have been gPodded for podcasts and Claws Mail.

I'm trying to build out from there.

A phone is also the worst device to type anything on the web or email. Only for that the Pandora wins over a phone anytime for web usage.
Typing, sure because it hasn't a keyboard like the Pandora; but my phone loads pages relatively quickly in comparison to my Pandora. So it depends what exactly you're using the internet for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powerpoint IS made by a company that charges for its software and the comparison does not really make sense. Can you do presentations on the Pandora? The answer is yes. Can you view Powerpoint presentations on the Pandora ? Yes, again. I don't see much drawback there, especially seeing how most people use Powerpoint (i.e. in the worst possible way)
LibreOffice:

1: No 3D letters

2: If you open "position and size" window and change e.g. width with the arrow keys it only affects the selected objects if you press OK and close the "position and size" window.

Powerpoint does this in real time (no need to close the window). As I often work with graphics this is a killer feature for me.

If it's possible with LO, please tell me. I would be more than happy to use LO.

That's only my personal needs.

Of course the Pandora is good for presentations if you use DisplayLink.

LibreOffice: 1: No 3D letters

Fontworks gallery.

htilxc.png

I use OpenPandora as my primary device because all programs i use are cross-plattform.

My eletricity bill is much lower now, ;)

OKay, lets cut to the chase --

OBVIOUSLY a mobile device that is a couple of years old is not going to compete with a modern desktop. Obvious cat is obvious :)

The question is .. can the Pandora work as a main head _in a pinch_, or for specific circumstances like 'I'll be without a desktop for a couple weeks while I travel, can I get by with a Pandora'; _that_ is the question, and I think it depends on the person.

Clearly you _can_ use it as a main head for some activities for some amount of time -- the Pandora is more powerful than laptops where not all that long ago and we got by fine then; software availability is pretty good (and if you install debian or Slack or Android, pretty darned competitive.) The trick is performance -- speed and memory, and peripherals, and other bits.

As a coder, I could get by with Pandora as main head pretty well for certain kinds of code, no problem. Browsing... is _okay_, but not great; if your'e on wifi, less so, but if you're on a USB adaptered network, browsing is pretty good.. we have modern Firefox etc, but just dont' expect youtube etc. Clearly yes, your modern phone will beat the Pandora there.. but its all give or take.

You have to play fair in these things, keep your question well defined, so an answer can be determined.

Otherwise its "yes, your stealth bomber is better than your cessna" :)

jeff

The Pandora has clear limitations. I have used it several times on conferences as a laptop-replacement. Actually this is what I bought it for (or what justified the price for me in the end). Since I was aware of the limitations I never regret my decision. Sometimes you will be surprised what this little device is capable of! Some other times you will of course wish for a real laptop or PC (like when you need more power, a bigger screen or better Wifi for example).

Well I guess it all boils down to what you do, personally as an engineer and programmer I have absolutely no need for fancy 3D text in my office suite. However having the charts work properly in the Libreoffice Calc is another thing as a bit of my work is data collecting.

Come one, I don't care that much about 3D letters.

It's the real time window that's missing.

If I press the Up/Down arrow behind the number I want to change the objects in real time, not after closing the window.

Let's take the 3D window I posted above.

If I press the "width" arrow up I directly see the changes on the presentation.

No need to close the window and check if it's ok.

I work a lot with arrows and graphics.

It's so annoying without that feature.

Anyway it's just a detail.

You can make nice presentations with Pandora/Libre Office even without that comfort :) .

I just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHBW4S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can let you know how it works when it (and my P) arrive. I selected this one as it was the cheapest name brand DL device that came with adapters for VGA, HDMI and DVI. I also bought a new powered USB hub. I am planning to use it as a docking station so I don't go blind (or carpal tunnel) while I am setting up and working with my P.

I agree that Libre Office is not M$ Office. By far, but it can do a basic, professional looking presentation. It is not good for working on more complex documents that you collaborate on with someone who is using M$ Office. This is the primary reason why I bought office for mac. I actually run the mac version and the windows version via vmWare Fusion/Windows 8. Office for mac had problems collaborating on office documents via Sharepoint.

I like the way you rite M$ Office.

It's so true.

If there wasn't that window issue.

Some years ago I had issues with erfc function in excel (Office 2003). The function didn't worked for negative arguments. I don't remember if I switched to OpenOffice or LibreOffice at that time, but erfc worked perfectly there.

Back