Pandora desktop stand - hacking office use ergonomy

Would you buy this stand for your Pandora?

• Yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I'll think about it.

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Two years later ...

... we've got a prototype here :-D

Well, two years ago I didn't know about the existence of services like Ponoko or their European partner Formulor.

I've redesigned the stand for 5,5 mm MDF available at Ponoko but let it made from 5 mm MDF at Formulor. I expected it to be somewhat loose and it of course is. Now it needs to be measured and more refinement has to be done at the design. I'm also thinking about a few small changes but in general the stand is functional. There is natural bend when you push the Pandora's keys but nothing preventing the use. It's surprisingly horizontaly stable considering the loose slot connections - nearly 1 mm in total at every slot - this has to be reduced.

Price at Formulor was cca 30 EUR including shipping within Germany. Design is cutted out of 384 x384 x 5 mm MDF piece (P2 template).

My plan now is to make another prototype and after I'm sure it's fine I'll give out the .SVG file so you can order your own stand. For US there might be some design amendment needed as Ponoko offers slightly thicker MDF (5,5 mm Hardboard). This would have to be done by some volunteer in the US :)

If you want to support me with some donation or want to buy the first prototype for 15 EUR to reduce my prototyping costs, you are welcome ;-) 

This first prototype is functional but parts are loose and the stand, although it is stable, it is little shaky at the same time (yeah, quite contradictive but that's how it feels :-D). You can either give it thick paint or stick some adhesives to slots make the connections tighter. Or you can just hard-glue it together. Be awared that MDF is actually wood and as it is laser-cut, it smells littlebit after burned wood. Also the rear side shows some signs of lateral surface burn (see the photos below). It can be sanded-off easily or painted.

I'll keep you updated about the progress. Feel free to ask any questions or propose ideas in the meanwhile.

DSCF2729.jpg

DSCF2730.jpg

DSCF2731.jpg

DSCF2734.jpg

DSCF2735.jpg

DSCF2736.jpg

this is great and i like the "puzzle like approach".

but, do you really use your pandora that way at home?

you already hooked it up with a bigger keyboard. why not use a bigger screen as well?

srsly, i very much like your work, but this seems rather uncomfortable.

Original goal was to have something quickly and easily erectable for travels where the monitors are not available. I was also coding often at the dinning table at that time and it was pain in the eyes even with glasses on my nose. I used piled books or other random stuff to raise the Pandora. This was also before I got the USB <> HDMI adapter.

Original goal was to have something quickly and easily erectable for travels where the monitors are not available. I was also coding often at the dinning table at that time and it was pain in the eyes even with glasses on my nose. I used piled books or other random stuff to raise the Pandora. This was also before I got the USB <> HDMI adapter.
You know it just occurred to me that perhaps the screen support could be extended to also support a frame for a magnifying lens held above the Pandora screen.

Just a thought... :)

- Neelix

:-D

Just for fun, I'll give this a try and see how it looks. The level of geekiness will raise dramatically :-D But from practical reasons I'll omit this feature in the 'public' design version. I want to keep it as simple as possible.

How are we gonna call this ... it's not steampunk ... a woodjunk?

Sneak preview of the Fresnel hack :)

This is just a paper made holder to try out various distances/zoom factors. Fresnel lens gives Pandora's screen kind of an arcade-machine-like quality. It introduces extra light reflections, it also distorts the picture according to the bend of the lens and the sharpness is uneven (but it's much better in reality than on the photos). Focus/sharpness can be adjusted with head position. 

I'm working on simple lens mounting design which will work without the stand. Stay tuned.

WP_20150515_18_19_55_Raw.jpg

WP_20150515_18_23_16_Raw.jpg

WP_20150515_18_36_39_Raw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, nice. My 90 year old grandpa just passed away otherwise he will force me to buy this special edition of Pandora for his use.

Accept my condolences. My 90yo grandma passed a month ago too. But she remained untouched by gaming. Perhaps because she only used computers in 1970ies :)

quick note: try to get the measurements of the pyra... to double as a pyra stand too...

I would answer yes to the poll, if only it was for the Pyra. ;)

Maybe we'll see a Pyra version as soon as preorders start ? :p

quick note: try to get the measurements of the pyra... to double as a pyra stand too...
Is there an official record of Pyra dimensions? I have a vague feeling that it was mentioned somewhere but can't find it now. Only unofficial/guessed stuff. Right now the stand has 0,5 cm free space from each side of Pandora. It will hopefully fit to Pyra as well. But it's definitelly easier to add extra space than updating slots for different thickness of material.

Back