Would You Go Back And Change The Design?

naples39

Just curious if most would go back and change the basic design of the Pandora if they could.

Making the somewhat dubious assumption that a simpler design would've led to much smoother and more timely production, would people go back and be willing to lose things like the full keyboard, clamshell design, wi-fi, or analog nubs?

I think I am in a sizable group of Pandora customers who looks at it as a gaming machine. Way back when I was worried about all those hardware features primarily because of price, but I was willing to pony up the extra money anyway because Pandora promised to be so powerful even if I would rarely use the analog, wi-fi, keyboard, etc.., but production complications raise an entirely different question about if the Pandora design tried to do too much.

So, hell yeah it was worth it to get those extra things even though all the design/production issues aren't entirely sorted out yet? Or, no, in hindsight it was too ambitious?

Just wondering about some opinions.

I for one did hear of the pandora only after the specs were set in stone. Had it not have the keyboard, they would have lost a customer.

So in that manner, I think it was a good decision for the pandora to set itself apart from other mere gaming machines.

I'm pretty surprised, you dont have started to use your pandora more than gaming. The potential uses are endless.

From the "extra" features you list, I can only see the Wifi that have held the production (and for 3 weeks).
BTW playing amiga/atari ST/dos game without a keyboard bring less enjoyement for most.
And the nub are gaming features IMO :)

Again, it may not be an entirely accurate assumption, but I assuming a non-clamshell, keyboardless case would've had less complications, as we waited several months on the cases. That also relates to what seems to be a fairly prevalent LCD ribbon cable issue which may or may not be resolved.

Also, the nubs are a gaming feature, but were they worth all the headaches when they are of little to no use for most things up to N64/PSX emulation? A matter of opinion.

Similar question with the keyboard---useful for amiga/st/dos as you said, but worth the extra complications and price? Another matter of opinion, though it seems to me the ratio of complications to usefulness is better than for the nubs.

Lastly, I have multiple laptops of different sizes and an iPad so I really can't see myself using the Pandora for much more than gaming, but that's not the issue I'm trying to get at here. Just wondering was it all worth it to everybody with the advantage of hindsight.

naples39 said:
Lastly, I have multiple laptops of different sizes and an iPad so I really can't see myself using the Pandora for much more than gaming, but that's not the issue I'm trying to get at here. Just wondering was it all worth it to everybody with the advantage of hindsight.
Then a canoo or a wiz might have been a better choice ?

Last edited by a moderator:
if i didnt want keyboard/dual quality nubs id stick to my cfw psp and flashcarted nds

sebt3 said:
naples39 said:
Then a canoo or a wiz might have been a better choice ?

Perhaps, though mind you when preorders were taken for the Pandora the Caanoo was a long way off from even being announced, and the Pandora is still quite a bit more powerful than both, no?

I really want the Pandora to succeed and hope my repaired unit comes back and everything works fine, but two years off from preorders and things are still up in the air regarding mass production and known hardware issues.

But I think it's safe to say you're in 'hell yeah it was worth it' camp. :)

naples39 said:
the Pandora is still quite a bit more powerful than both, no?
Sure, but what that performance boost bring you ?

naples39 said:
But I think it's safe to say you're in 'hell yeah it was worth it' camp. :)
Yep :) I've always being clear on that :)

Trying to best please the hardcore portable gaming market, I guess OP got the design right.

However I think they could have made a device that would have been 'good enough' for the gaming market but still had a much wider market if they'd gotten rid of the second SD slot (and, if necessary the wifi/bt chipset) and incorporated a SIM modem and, if possible, GPS. It could have then made some big inroads into the MID market, with the possibility of having mobile phone outlets offering it as a freebie/at a reduced cost with a mobile data plan.

To be fair, I don't know if the above is even technically possible. Anyway the whole point is moot if OP can only deliver 800 units a year.

DaMummy said:
if i didnt want keyboard/dual quality nubs id stick to my cfw psp and flashcarted nds

*sigh*

I have a flashcarted nds, and frankly, my DaveC dpad modded gp2x blows it away for emulation/homebrew purposes.

It may be hard to believe, but I actually have researched my purchases a little. I already said I was willing to pay for features I may not get much use out of for the extra pop Pandora punches, but whichever side of the fence you're on regarding expanded hardware features, it's all moot if reliable MP is never reached, which is the real issue I'm talking about.

EDIT: I guess the real question I'm trying to get at is, would you trade any of those extra hardware perks not seen in other devices on the market like dual analog, keyboard, etc., if it meant more reliable and timely MP?

naples39 said:
EDIT: I guess the real question I'm trying to get at is, would you trade any of those extra hardware perks not seen in other devices on the market like dual analog, keyboard, etc., if it meant more reliable and timely MP?
Personally, no. If that were the case, it wouldn't be a Pandora anymore - it would be a lot more similar to other machines that were/are already out there that don't have those things. Those extra features are why I, personally, was willing to wait - there's still nothing else out there, to my knowledge, that has all of that stuff together.

That said, whilst I use (and bought) it primarily for gaming, I did purchase it with some of its other capabilities in mind also...

The keyboard is the whole point of it, imho ;) ie: For emulation of computers and not just consoles, and for purposes of typing on the unit (for the shell, for document editing or web browsing, etc. A keyboard makes it useful for all these things, where as a low res non-keyboard unit is simply not good for browsing, editting, etc.)

For my part I'd go so far as to say, if you don't intend to use the keyboard, you should be on a modded PSP (which has pretty respectible retro emus, and of course a pretty useful modern game library.)

jeff

As a gaming console, the Pandora has potential, given developer backing of course. It is particular good for emulation of old consoles and hopefully psx and N64 will come along nicely.
However, I think most people will primarily use it as a gaming device. There are much better alternatives out there for people who want a good web browsing experience, e.g smartphones and upcoming tablets. Could the Pandora have gotten away without a keyboard? I believe so, as many people who will soon receive their Pandora will realise it's a good emulation machine, but probably sub-par for everything else.

electrocity said:
but probably sub-par for everything else.
hum ?
I'm merly using my unit for emulator. I've setup mine for GBA yesterday. That's the only installed emulator on my device.
I'm still happy with it.

I think I've done just as much writing on mine as I have gaming, actually. :p

And without the keyboard, emulation of many old home-computer titles wouldn't work very well.

Once again, just because you think it's sub-par for everything else, doesn't mean that everyone else will or should think the same.

The hassles of adding a phone to the device would have delayed it even longer, if you want a phone that you can game on there's hundreds already out there, drop the pandora phone crap already.

There's a small number of things I would change, but without my unit in-hand, it's hard to say what I would or wouldn't change for sure. Thus, most of my "changes" are cosmetic.

- For starters, I agree with cbox... adding phone hardware to it would be unnecessary.

- I'm not 100% fond of the case design. I think it could have used a little more detailing here, and a little less there, but otherwise I feel it's a handsome device. Not beautiful, but certainly not ugly. Utilitarian. For what it is and what it does, I think they did a nice job. However, I think the case may need some tweaks, seeing as there have been problems with it here and there, like the bowing near the LCD.

- I would not even think about removing any of the buttons (keyboard included). I preordered one because it had all those buttons. Since having a full keyboard on one of my phones 7 or 8 years ago, I haven't purchased a single one without. I'm on my 4th keyboarded phone. My 5th will have one, too. I don't trust on-screen keyboards, and I've yet to find a predictive text or correction software that works as well as I'd expect it to. Besides, some old PC games I want to emulate require keyboard input. Without it, those games would be useless. And some mahjong games in MAME use letters A thru M or N or something like that... that's 13 to 14 keys. How would I manage with only a d-pad, 4 buttons, and 2 shoulder buttons? That doesn't include the 1p and 2p buttons, or the coin button...

- Some sort of mini touch pad would be nice. I've never really enjoyed using analog sticks or dpads for mouse movement, and a finger or stylus can get in the way on the touch screen.

That's about all I can think of, regarding the 'basic' design. One fiddly bit I've always kinda wished wasn't so is the lack of a VGA or DVI output or something similar. I understand that it can't do it because the LCD is using it, but I wonder if it couldn't have had some kind of hardware switch to move the output between the LCD and an output. I'm pretty picky about my pixels being sharp so I do wonder if the TV out cable will suffice, but seeing as I'll be using it mostly as a gaming device, I'm not too worried about it.

:)

Perhaps the OP team should have cut their teeth on a much more simple handheld to go directly against the GP2X. Then when they had found good reliable suppliers for parts and essentially gone through most of the learning curve they went through with the Pandora, they could have produced the Pandora as their 2nd device with the design as it currently exists.

That said, if they had as many problems with the simple handheld as they have had with the Pandora they may have decided to give up and not to produce the Pandora at all!

john

The case/button issues only arose largely as a result of the paint finish, which wasnt expected to be required to my knowledge. Therefore I think the design is good and ergonomic.

However what has been highlighted since, is that the community would have preferred more access to the internals of the system and to be able to make the replacements that have proven for some to be neccessary on first batch parts themselves. There was also a contigent that wanted unfetterred access to the whole system for modifications, that are left somewhat wanting as their is no space in the lid section for anything and the hinge design and cable mean its a one time deal on the warranty, that is extended (without the gratuitous salesman on an ingratiating forced commission basis) by the most gracious and humble OPT team. Who actually do want your custom, value your input, can be reached and will at present reach you when you didnt expect it, to solve your software or hardware issues. That you cant trade in.

The delays are just unfortunate on all fronts. Particularly for OPT. Imagine if the She had shipped when planned for a moment..please....apple and the other big boys would have had a serious headache as she was well in advance at the time.

Would I change anything? Most things in mind are for the next version, when OPT is a name to be reckoned with but yes I would change a couple of things.

Beat em ups sometimes need a six button pad and whilst you get the authentic experience of 3 buttons plus a change button, I would rather not. I'd like a full six button pad if the space can be found.

Shoulder buttons aren't great but they are functional and in many emus they are purely the save states etc which is a good thing. Given that the board has access to 2 L and R pads I dont see why the Pandora was made with just 1 set of shoulder buttons. PSX was a given target and if this requires a case mod to make that plausible, its a bad idea for joe public. Alien Resurrection runs beautifully but if I have to use Q and P as strafe, its as useless as the Jaguar in general! I personally hated the N64 controller (an abortion from the unVirtual Boy's stable) and I prefer the Pandora nubs and its screens definition and sharpness to the N64 itself. The emu may catch up to my fondness.

So to summise, I dont think the current control set caused all the delays, more that any attempt to manufacture a device like this will do and has done and that much of the delays were beyond the OPT expectations. The Pandora wouldn't be what it is without its features and as somwhwat lacking as they maybe its progeny will be a force to be reckoned with, whilst she is still worth the wait and support in the meantime.

Back