Pandora Cases Being Made In China...

Personally I find it refreshing and honest, as opposed to the pretense most offer.

Nova said:
I would consider that you are an official voice of the OpenPandora team before semi-condoning such practices. I'm no bleeding heart, and my opinions are my own, but I would assume OP would want to distance themselves as far as possible from that view.
I'm not an official voice for anything, save perhaps common sense. I could blow smoke up your ass and tell you that the workers making the Pandora are well paid, have excellent benefits, and get free ice cream every day. It's not like you could prove otherwise. But the honest truth is that the Pandora is being made in China, and all Chinese factories have rough working conditions and low pay by western standards. The computer you're reading this post on (or at least its components) was made by people working under similar conditions. You didn't care when you bought that machine, why should you care now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Chip. He's not condoning it. Just being realistic. I think what he is saying is more along the lines of this picture:

china-olypmic-hypocrite-cartoon.jpg

Chip said:
Nova said:
I would consider that you are an official voice of the OpenPandora team before semi-condoning such practices. I'm no bleeding heart, and my opinions are my own, but I would assume OP would want to distance themselves as far as possible from that view.
I'm not an official voice for anything, save perhaps common sense. I could blow smoke up your ass and tell you that the workers making the Pandora are well paid, have excellent benefits, and get free ice cream every day. It's not like you could prove otherwise. But the honest truth is that the Pandora is being made in China, and all Chinese factories have rough working conditions and low pay by western standards. The computer you're reading this post on (or at least its components) was made by people working under similar conditions. You didn't care when you bought that machine, why should you care now?

I think about where my dollars are going, like them to stay where I could actually get them back. I figure people who don't mind could have their jobs sent over seas though. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a person like this lose their home, have their kids go hungery, I mean if they want to volunteer.

Who cares!
I don't care if its being made by a 10 year old (could be why its taking so long!?) and hey if hes getting paid then thats more than if he wasnt working, familys out there need all the money they can get, its just the west sticks its nosy head into everyone elses business and say it should be this way or that way....

aesir911 said:
yeah, the communist elitist country will solve it's problems through time. not a chance. the rich will remain rich and the poor will be forever poor (the society ladder remains in much of Asia). the time factor is a bunch of crap. like russia's bogus 4-year plans and Obama's already failed time plans to raise the economy and involvement in Afghanistan.
I've tried hard to resist the urge to respond, but I can't. Communism is an illusion. It's an idea of a person who didn't imagine the existence of a middle class, because it just didn't exist at the time he wrote his manifest. China has just an ordinary dictatorship. Communism is just a bugaboo you can put on placards if someone tries to introduce health insurance.
Afghanistan is chess with human chessmen. West vs. Arab despotes.

In my seemingly harsh opinion, China needs their dictatorship for a while. Why? Stability and fast development. Do you want every second Chinese to drive a gas-operated car in 10 years? China has to jump from the early days of industrialisation to the world leader in environment engineering, without making all the mistakes in between that we did and that led to the global warming we have now. If China was a democracy right now, it would either explode or kill everything(exaggeratedly speaking).

Edit:
If anyone is interested and understands German, read here:
http://www.nachhaltigkeitsrat.de/news-nachhaltigkeit/2009/2009-12-10/toepfer-china-treibt-klimaschutz-aus-eigenem-interesse-voran/
Klaus Töpfer was the German environment minister, UNEP executive director and now he is counselor of the Chinese government.

Chip said:
Nova said:

Well my apologies then, I thought you had some sort of official PR thing going on with OP. Maybe I was misled somewhere.

And I don't think you read my post carefully enough. I don't have a large opinion on the matter, I don't really care. All I'm saying is, regardless of what the case actually is with poorly paid workers, to hear one with such a voice in the community telling people not to get "soppy" over the issue is not a positive thing.

Stingray said:
Chip said:
Nova said:

I think about where my dollars are going, like them to stay where I could actually get them back. I figure people who don't mind could have their jobs sent over seas though. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a person like this lose their home, have their kids go hungery, I mean if they want to volunteer.
tell that to all your providers! and get ready to pay more than 10X prices.

Chip said:
Nova said:

Except the company I bought my computer from follows fair trade laws (unlike the Pandora makers)... Just because a part is made in China, doesn't mean it was made in a sweatshop.

aesir911 said:
Chip said:
Nova said:

Except the company I bought my computer from follows fair trade laws (unlike the Pandora makers)... Just because a part is made in China, doesn't mean it was made in a sweatshop.

Let's get this straight, you can prove every single part of your computer meets these fair trade laws?

I don't believe you could possibly do that - and I don't believe the people who conned you in to believing it could either.

I'm really sorry, I didn't want to post in this topic, but curiousity has gotten the better of me. :p I'd just like to know, how did you go from this (in another thread);

aesir911 said:
does anybody know absolutely anything about this Chinese manufacturer? seems like some fair trade laws might be broken.

To this;

aesir911 said:
Except the company I bought my computer from follows fair trade laws (unlike the Pandora makers)...

And what on Earth made you seemingly decide this to begin with? It all appears to have come out of nowhere... :p

Prometheus said:
I'm really sorry, I didn't want to post in this topic, but curiousity has gotten the better of me. :p I'd just like to know, how did you go from this (in another thread);

aesir911 said:
does anybody know absolutely anything about this Chinese manufacturer? seems like some fair trade laws might be broken.

To this;

aesir911 said:
Except the company I bought my computer from follows fair trade laws (unlike the Pandora makers)...

And what on Earth made you seemingly decide this to begin with? It all appears to have come out of nowhere... :p

not sure what the heck you mean by the first question... (i started this thread before posting in that other one about any questions you may have)

the second one however, i was just wondering about this company in China that the Pandora is being made at. i was hesitant from the beginning (due to my experience with Chinese companies and manufacturers). i was also wondering if the pandora team was breaking fair trade laws... which appears to be yes by craig's last post. thought it was a good question and debate, that's all (also i'm in an ethics course right now :p ).

EDIT: response to craig's comment - i can't prove every part meets fair trade laws, but i do know that it is a huge company and my country governs (watches) over most of their activity. and they would probably know if they were breaking the law. thanks for answering my question though. i guess most of the Pandora's parts are made in factories that break fair trade laws.

I still haven't seen any evidence of the existence of "fair trade laws", except for old laws from the 20th century that have all been repealed.

Aethix said:
I still haven't seen any evidence of the existence of "fair trade laws".

haven't really glanced at wikipedia's post. i'm guessing that it talks about them in the politics portion though. (check it out)

aesir911 said:
thanks for answering my question though. i guess most of the Pandora's parts are made in factories that break fair trade laws.

I didn't answer any question.

You're coming across as quite an idiot.

craigix said:
aesir911 said:
thanks for answering my question though. i guess most of the Pandora's parts are made in factories that break fair trade laws.

not at all actually. i put two and two together. you said it's impossible to create a device without infringing fair trade laws. therefore, i inferred that since a good portion of the pandora is being made in China and you said you can't avoid breaking fair trade laws that the factory the cases/shells and what not is being made in opposition to established laws.

Hey Craig, what's going on with the current "Rev.3" cases? Was it finished on the 15th? Did it ship out yet? How is the quality looking that you have seen thru confrence calls?

Chris

I looked around. Nothing but resolutions there. At this point in time, Fair Trade is only a suggestion, not a mandate. It's awfully hard to break laws that don't exist.

aesir911 said:
craigix said:
aesir911 said:

not at all actually. i put two and two together. you said it's impossible to create a device without infringing fair trade laws. therefore, i inferred that since a good portion of the pandora is being made in China and you said you can't avoid breaking fair trade laws that the factory the cases/shells and what not is being made in opposition to established laws.

'a good portion'?

craigix said:
aesir911 said:
craigix said:
aesir911 said:

'a good portion'?

nevermind craig. i wash my hands of this issue. i just thought it was a good question to ask (as did the first 5 people who posted on the thread). i didn't mean to aggravate you. sorry for coming across as a d**k.

Back