Pandora Button = Pull Up Menu From Xfce

openthebox

Sorry if this has aready been discussed, but after searching, I couldn't find any mention of this.

Pressing the Pandora button (button between the nubs) is suppose to bring up the menu just like clicking on the Pandora logo (Start button), but it is not working on my machine. I get no response when pressing the button. I know the button is not faulty because I can hold it down and toggle the power switch to the right to force a reboot and that works.

Isn't the Pandora button suppose to allow me to closeout a program that is hung as well? It doesn't allow me to do that either.

Is there a setting or a reset that I need to do to get the Pandora button to work?

Thanks!

It depends on the length of time you hold it for. How long are you pressing it for in both cases?

Prometheus said:
It depends on the length of time you hold it for. How long are you pressing it for in both cases?

I tried different time span:
tapping the button
hold button for 1/2 second
hold button for 1 second
hold button for 2 second
hold button for 3 second
hold button until my finger got tired....

Nothing happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a terminal, type op_test_inputs (hold both shoulder buttons to exit). This will test if the button works. Maybe the script or the watcher daemon have got screwed up.

tsh said:
From a terminal, type op_test_inputs (hold both shoulder buttons to exit). This will test if the button works. Maybe the script or the watcher daemon have got screwed up.

I just tried the op_test_inputs, all buttons worked. How do I fix the script or watcher daemon? Thanks.

pndevmapperd gets its config from /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap

Right now (prior to the latest hf4 beta, after hf2 I think) the pnd-kill-mode by holding the pandora button is borked, but the pandora menu should come up; if pndevmapperd is not running (crashed, or /etc/init.d/pndevmapperd.init has been removed) or the eventmap like for the button (the one that runs op_menu.sh) has been removed/commented, that'll get you; however if pndevmapperd is running, and the eventmap op_menu line is in place, it should be okay to at least bring up the xfce menu ..

jeff

skeezix said:

Ok, thanks Jeff.
I'll wait till HF4 final and do a reflash. I was trying to avoid the reflash because I, like others, had encounter the never ending "Please select the date" problem.

I did a full reflash, not just the HF4. Didn't make any difference, Pandora button still doesn't bring up menu or allow me to kill an app. :(

Mine had this exact same problem. The pandora button didn't work for any menus or app killer but did work for reset and showed up as a mappable button in thunar. I never found a way to fix it and my Pandora is now out for repair (mainly for other problems). I had to reflash for an unrelated issue and the pandora button problem persisted.

It almost has to be a hardware problem since it remained after a reflash but on the other hand, it almost has to be a software problem since the button works for reset and mapping. :p
It's a very odd problem and the only sure-fire way to fix it that I know of is to send it in for repair.

Try this.

open terminal.

sudo mousepad

enter your password.

navigate to filesystem
usr
pandora
scripts
op_menu.sh

find the line about 5 lines down.

if ( "$1" -ge "2" ); the #button was pressed 3 sec or longer show list of apps to kill instead of launcher.

change it to

if ( "$1" -ge "1" ); the #button was pressed 3 sec or longer show list of apps to kill instead of launcher.

This works for me.

if the value is 2 or higher it never functions for me. 1 works.
firmware updates do not fix it for me.
everytime you hotfix or flash the firmware you must redo this.

Belthos.

Still waiting for the pandora I ordered but since I have more money than sense I bought someones off of ebay and this problem annoyed me until I determined this workaround.

Back