XFCE - Pandora Key

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I've noticed that if you make the "taskbar" panel in xfce auto-hide, the Pandora button will no longer open the menu, is this easy to fix?

Hmm, I can diagnose the problem.

In HF6, to prevent multiple XFCE menus opening up, they rigged the Pandora button to move the mouse over to the bottom left, force a click, and then move back to the original location.

By auto-hiding the taskbar, the cursor no longer goes to the menu, as the menu isn't where it's expected.

Easy fix? I don't have any.

no mouse buttons? I can move the mouse with the left nub but, there isnt a button to click the highlighted item with the mouse.

right click the mouse anywhere on the screen and move the cursor over applications, this bring up the main menu.

not a fix but a solution around the problem, hope it helps if you went aware of this already

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the same issue when switching to HotFix 6. In the thread over there mulchardude suggested to add a short delay. I'm using this already, it works nearly always.

In HF6, to prevent multiple XFCE menus opening up, they rigged the Pandora button to move the mouse over to the bottom left, force a click, and then move back to the original location.
I've had the same issue when switching to HotFix 6. In the thread over there mulchardude suggested to add a short delay. I'm using this already, it works nearly always.
Cheers. Is it possible to disassociate this script from the Pandora button?

right click the mouse anywhere on the screen and move the cursor over applications, this bring up the main menu.

not a fix but a solution around the problem, hope it helps if you went aware of this already
Not really, I don't have a "right mouse button", and holding the stylus on-screen is impractical

Does it really? I'm pretty sure it doesnt move the coursor at all, it just calls the code to launch the start/pandora button it doesnt move the mouse as far as im aware.

Does it really? I'm pretty sure it doesnt move the coursor at all, it just calls the code to launch the start/pandora button it doesnt move the mouse as far as im aware.
Yep, it really does. Aside from the script link from Atomos, I can see it happen on mine. Esp' if you autohide the panel first, you'll see the mouse appear where the button "would" be if the panel was open

Well, in the Settings - Keyboard, you can set the key up to run "xfdesktop --menu", which will open the xfce menu, which is why I asked if I could disassociate that script from the key, but I don't know where to look

as far as i remember, in past hotfixes, the auto-hide taskbar would still show a tiny bit, just enough for the pandora button to catch the start button upon demand. does anybody else experience these problems if taskbar is on autohide?

woah, surely there is a better way to call that button than a mouse macro?
In HF5 (and possibly earlier), you'd hit the Pandora button, and the menu would open (much like Alt-F1 in Gnome2). But the problem always was that XFCE never knew if a menu was already open, so you could end up with multiple XFCE menus on top of each other, and they were really hard to get rid of. Ideally, only having one menu open is an upstream fix in some newer version of XFCE, but for the moment, moving the mouse and clicking is the current fix.

Hopefully a later version of xfce will smarten up ;) (ie: expose an option to detect if menu is already up somehow, or be smart enough to not open a 2nd+ menu when one is already up.) As is, the preferred method to open the menu causes that issue. Changing it to the way it is now is goofy in other ways imho (ie: fullscreen app problem, autihide, etc), but what can you do :)

The pandora button is configured in /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap if you want to fiddle with it

jeff

The pandora button is configured in /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap if you want to fiddle with it
Must have missed this post. Thank you so much :)

Edit: Now I've switched this off, I'm not getting the "duplicate menu" like everybody was talking about.

I set the XF86MenuKB (Pandora key) to "xfdesktop --menu". It doesn't give you the immediate "Applications" menu, but you only get one of them :)

Edit: Now I've switched this off, I'm not getting the "duplicate menu" like everybody was talking about.
It didn't happen every time, there didn't seem to be any consistency to it, just in some circumstances it would pop up multiple menus. When it happens it's annoying. If it happens to you and you figure out the exact conditions for it to happen maybe we can fix it.

Back