Pandora 2 Features POLL

What CPU architecture do you want to see in the Pandora 2?

• Total voters

3_bit

What do you want in the P2?

Vote below!

Last edited by a moderator:
The serial line on the EXT port support IR communication. Also line in/out is available on the EXT port.

I'm not so sure we need these things "built in" (like, with additional ports and the IR LED/receiver available, etc) so much as we need better support for the hardware extensions that are already available. If they sold an IR connector, just a smooth little dongle that plugged into the EXT port, that would be enough for me.

Here's a thought on keeping some of the cost per unit down. Of course certain features you'd want to remain native to the device, but stuff like ethernet, IrDa, NFC, video out (Output support at a maximum reslolution of 1024X768 VGA, S-Video, AV Ports for Monitor, Projector, TV and VCR Remote Control Enabled), gps, wifi, bluetooth, camera's etc can be handled by SDIO. So instead of putting most of these features on the device, the user could absorb some of the cost by buying the appropriate SD/microSD card and upgrading it that way. This way the functionality is increased while the cost of the P2 is kept reasonable.

As a bonus SDIO often has internal storage as well. Would need work supporting it, but is a thought.

Craigix has said he is shooting for 6Ahr battery. I too would like to see a large battery. See Binky's chart.

p3flamewars.png

Here's a thought on keeping some of the cost per unit down. Of course certain features you'd want to remain native to the device, but stuff like ethernet, IrDa, NFC, video out (Output support at a maximum reslolution of 1024X768 VGA, S-Video, AV Ports for Monitor, Projector, TV and VCR Remote Control Enabled), gps, wifi, bluetooth, camera's etc can be handled by SDIO

SDIO has the same issues as USB Video, the transfer speed is too slow for moving video or gaming.. while it can be used in this manner it's only good for simple presentations and web-browsing. It may be able to handle low rez camera input... As for video out most Newer SOCs can handle at least two digital video outs which can allow driving the LCD screen and HDMI at the sametime. Sure SDIO could be used in other places, just video is a horrendous idea.

If the P2 is to run Android along with Linux (Dual boot). Then it needs to be designed to cater for Android Apps and Games. ie it at least needs to be a Clamshell + Tablet convertible. Imagine trying to play most Android games on a clamshell only - not good.

To me, if you are going to fully support Android on the P2 , then the HW requirements need to be in line with that decision . ie its a decision that needs to be made first and foremost. To fully support Android you will need all the trimmings like a screen that can be opened in either a clamshell or tablet config, sixaxis, gyro yada yada.

If you don't support Android with the HW , then there is no point putting it on the P2.

Here's a thought on keeping some of the cost per unit down. Of course certain features you'd want to remain native to the device, but stuff like ethernet, IrDa, NFC, video out (Output support at a maximum reslolution of 1024X768 VGA, S-Video, AV Ports for Monitor, Projector, TV and VCR Remote Control Enabled), gps, wifi, bluetooth, camera's etc can be handled by SDIO

SDIO has the same issues as USB Video, the transfer speed is too slow for moving video or gaming.. while it can be used in this manner it's only good for simple presentations and web-browsing. It may be able to handle low rez camera input... As for video out most Newer SOCs can handle at least two digital video outs which can allow driving the LCD screen and HDMI at the sametime. Sure SDIO could be used in other places, just video is a horrendous idea.

Yah. What I said was poorly worded but those are some of the things you might want to keep native to the device. I just listed all that stuff for completeness.

Where can you get SDIO cards?

Do they work cleanly with linux?

I voted, but to be honest the community didn't exactly have any input into the first pandora - what makes anyone think that they will with the second pandora? Craig has already stated what he wants in a P2, so this is really a waste of time.

D.

I voted, but to be honest the community didn't exactly have any input into the first pandora
I can correct that assertion.

In 2007, OPT already had a board design based on the i.MX31. Some community members including myself suggested using the OMAP3 instead. IIRC a TI employee saw the board discussion and contacted OPT informing them of availability in low numbers. Then OPT switched to omap3 - based on the result of a community discussion.

See this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/38155-our-new-machine-pandora/page-43

(EDIT: quoting MWeston in 2007) "By the way, CRAIGIX: if you get a chance to use the OMAP3430, JUMP ON IT! This chip will be cutting edge for years and will ensure the success of the device for some time!"

Prophetic.

Craig has already stated what he wants in a P2
... and so has ED

they disagree.

Perhaps the existing customer base would make good arbitrators?

Yes, I voted for AMD64 architecture - that doesn't mean it would be practical.

Missing from the poll:

microphone?

GPS/compass?

tilt/axis/gyroscope?

stylus?

keybaord backlighting?

stereo speakers?

stereo microphones?

separate or together microphone & headphone jacks?

video output - via MHL or displayport or miniDisplayport or HDMI or miniHDMI or USB 3 or DVI or microDVI or wireless or ...?

battery size - 3hr, 6hr, 9hr, 12hr?

maximum dimension in each direction X,Y,Z where X is left/right, Y is front to back, Z is thickness?

analog volume control or digital?

power on slider-switch or a power button?

wrist strap loop slot?

two shoulder buttons or four?

lid hinge - continuous friction or notches?

The poll is a nice idea, but there is a lot more to this prospective device.

Where can you get SDIO cards?

Do they work cleanly with linux?

Not sure about Linux support, but Amazon has some SDIO stuff, though they're really expensive and mostly made for PDAs. Cameras, bluetooth adapters, wifi adapters, bar code scanners, etc.

Yes, I voted for AMD64 architecture - that doesn't mean it would be practical.

Missing from the poll:

microphone?

GPS/compass?

tilt/axis/gyroscope?

stylus?

keybaord backlighting?

stereo speakers?

stereo microphones?

separate or together microphone & headphone jacks?

video output - via MHL or displayport or miniDisplayport or HDMI or miniHDMI or USB 3 or DVI or microDVI or wireless or ...?

battery size - 3hr, 6hr, 9hr, 12hr?

maximum dimension in each direction X,Y,Z where X is left/right, Y is front to back, Z is thickness?

analog volume control or digital?

power on slider-switch or a power button?

wrist strap loop slot?

two shoulder buttons or four?

lid hinge - continuous friction or notches?

The poll is a nice idea, but there is a lot more to this prospective device.
quote++;

Back