PanDebian

Its been in there since late HF4 or perhaps 5 I think. It was included as a power saver to switch off the screen when the system is idle for awhile. It cuts in on movies and such like and the old fix was manual editing of a file, which if not done correctly would stop the Pandora from booting. Since HF6 or so, ED managed to add an option to the LCD settings menu which switches it on/off much more conveniently.

My concern was that it would kick in during the loop file install and may cause unresponsiveness to wake it back up.

Sorry to hear your install has vanished again :(

Its been in there since late HF4 or perhaps 5 I think. It was included as a power saver to switch off the screen when the system is idle for awhile. It cuts in on movies and such like and the old fix was manual editing of a file, which if not done correctly would stop the Pandora from booting. Since HF6 or so, ED managed to add an option to the LCD settings menu which switches it on/off much more conveniently.

My concern was that it would kick in during the loop file install and may cause unresponsiveness to wake it back up.

Sorry to hear your install has vanished again :(
I think that was the problem for the slow and freezing of the unit, specially the first time as I mentioned in a post previously. I reinstall last night and everything seemed to have went ok and faster with the screenblinking off. I dont know, I see the little desktop icon in the corner but not the pandebian pandebian in the menu to manually lunch the icon. Besides that, from the little desktop icon I only a small menu to lunch terminal and synaptic manager.

Edit: I can only run terminal, synaptic mananger does not start though, I try to install it, return message says I already have the newest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's normal. You have to open the term, type su, password, then you can launch synaptic as root.

Yesterday I finally installed PanDebian.

It works fine.

There's one thing I don't understand:

This error occures after every package I install:

"E: ca-certificates-java: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1"

What do I have to do?

(java-common is installed if that's important)

Dunno.

It may be related to the new oracle policy about java, which forbids redistribution in Linux distros.

There is some apt-get command switches that can be used to clean this kind of mess, but i don't remember which ones.

Is it important?

Every program I've installed works.

If there won't be bigger problems I don't mind.

As far as i know, ca-certificates are used for encryption. I didn't even know that a java-specific package existed.

If someday you need this package, using a program or another, you'll probably have an error message, so indeed you can go like this.

Hello,

I just wanted to ask how i can get OpenGL to work. I installed libgl1-mesa-glx and other mesa-related packages. But OpenGL applications don't work and glxinfo says "Xlib extension GLX missing".

We don't have opengl on the Pandora, just opengles.

This is a subset of opengl and is missing some features, that normal opengl programs use.

So normal Opengl apps won't work on Pandora. then need to be recompiled with a wrapper or a full conversion of the glcode.

If I understand this correctly, pandebian would allow me to use debian programs as well as pnds? for example, being able to use the debian build of the Tor browser. Or being able to use Cheese for webcam support? Or being able to actually have an openoffice suite?

What are the limitations of this if I understand correctly? How much space does it need?

It can't use opengl, too for example as a limitation. It needs some space and all dependencies of the stuff you want to install. I'd suggest using a 4gb sdcard.

We don't have opengl on the Pandora, just opengles.

This is a subset of opengl and is missing some features, that normal opengl programs use.

So normal Opengl apps won't work on Pandora. then need to be recompiled with a wrapper or a full conversion of the glcode.
Ok, I understand.

Good thing most apps are open source.

I'm going to melt my CPU through compiling :D .

If I understand this correctly, pandebian would allow me to use debian programs as well as pnds? for example, being able to use the debian build of the Tor browser. Or being able to use Cheese for webcam support? Or being able to actually have an openoffice suite?

What are the limitations of this if I understand correctly? How much space does it need?

You could already manually use Debian (or other distros for ARM) on Pandora with some packaging tricks etc, but yeah.. if you run PanDebian or other debian versions ported to Pandora, you could just the usual Debian ways of doing things.. "apt-get install ..." for instance.

The Pandora is essentially a full little machine, that can run many linux distros with some tweaks; and Debian is no different to Angstrom or Ubuntu or the like, they're just different packagings of the same applications.

jeff

You could already manually use Debian (or other distros for ARM) on Pandora with some packaging tricks etc, but yeah.. if you run PanDebian or other debian versions ported to Pandora, you could just the usual Debian ways of doing things.. "apt-get install ..." for instance.

The Pandora is essentially a full little machine, that can run many linux distros with some tweaks; and Debian is no different to Angstrom or Ubuntu or the like, they're just different packagings of the same applications.

jeff

On that note, would someone like me with very little knowledge on the subject be able to easily learn these packaging ticks (ie some kind of step by step thing or maybe a starter guide) or would I just get frustrated? Hell, If I could learn this stuff then I would contribute pnds as often as I could.

Making pnd's is pretty easy; theres a couple mental things that have to click,m but really its running a single command line.. can even be done with Windows. Heck, didn't someone make a Windows GUI pnd packager a year ago?

ie>

- create a PXML file which describes the thing (provides human readable descriptions for the repos, tells the system which file is the executable and what speeds it needs, etc .. not hard, just use a template and fill it in)

- put things into a directory that matches what it needs and the PXML you set up

- run the tool to turn the directory into an iso

Tricky bits are..

- sometimes (usually) you need or want a 'run script', so the PXML says to run that, and it in turn runs the actual executable; the run-script can then change environment variables such as specify a new shared library path inside the pnd-dir instead of the system path..

- if its built for Debian or other ARM distro, then it is possibly built to look in /other/distributions/directories for stuff, so you have to trick it with env-fvars and command line and such

If you dont' know any unix scripting at all, the run scripts could be tricky, but most of them are not more advanced than old DOS batch files.. but of course, im unix shell scriptiong, you can write whole applications :)

jeff

Back