Release pandAVR

panik

There are some topics about Arduino and AVR programming the gp2x-forum (search and you will find) [edit: I didn't]. In a Debian extend or Debian-on-SD, getting things running is easy. Simply sudo apt-get install whatever-you-need and there you go. Works perfectly! (Arduino as well).

However, I also wanted to be able to compile and upload AVR programs on the Pandora to an AVR microcontroller in the standard factory default Pandora/Angstrom distro.

In the Angstrom repository, only avrdude is available. To create a fully workable AVR-development environment in Angstrom, we need at least avr-gcc, avr-libc and binutils-avr. So I compiled those from source on the Pandora in Angstrom and created a PND-file. Avrdude comes directly from the Angstrom repo, I didn't compile that one myself. Also 'make' is provided.

The first time you start up the pnd, it'll ask your admin-password. Avrdude wants its configfile in /etc/avrdude.conf. A symlink to the conf-file on the .pnd will be created in /etc. I'll look into fixing that (not sure how yet). It then starts a terminal, from where you can directly call avr-gcc (or a Makefile), avrdude and whatever you need from the AVR-tools.

I ran out of space on my Angstrom-SD card, so I used gcc-core, instead of the 'full' gcc. No programming in C++, only C is supported. No assembly either. Sorry about that. Maybe later. Avra should be easy to include if I (or someone) can get it to compile.

To test, plug your AVR-programmer in the USB-hub. Copy 'share/doc/avr-libc-1.7.1/examples' to one of the SD-cards. Navigate to one of the examples and type 'make'. After that, use avrdude to copy the generated hex-file to your microcontroller. I use: 'avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega32 -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -v -U flash:w:myapp.hex'. Adjust the programmer(-c), part(-p) and hex-file(-U) to your specific needs (You probably know what to do). I have to use sudo to be able to use /tty/USB0, but that should be easy to fix. That is, I fixed it once on my main computer but can't remember how. I tested on a freshly flashed HF5 Pandora. (Some silly mistakes were made in examples/stdio/lcd.c. Look for hd44780_wait_ready() and supply a boolean as an argument. There are a couple of them.)

The PND is pretty big (114 MB), but that's how it is.

Major disclaimer: I'm an idiot. I know nothing. I can hardly believe this actually works the way it does. :)

TODO (don't know when, maybe never):

- read avrdude.conf from the appdata directory

- provide (some) documentation

- use 'full' gcc (not gcc-core)

- include avra (gdb-avr? simulavr? avarice? requests?)

Get the 41 MB tarred/gzipped PND file here. Edit: Use avrtools by urjaman

All your feedback is very welcome.

Picture of my test setup:

pandora_atmega32_800x600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to not support assembly? Doesn't the compiler depend on as to assemble its output?

Point taken :)

'avr-as' is indeed available. As I said, I'm an idiot. I know nothing.

I'll prove it even further: avrtools by urjaman

I could have saved myself the trouble, about 100 MB, embarrassment and have the tools 8 months ago.

:blink:

Point taken :)

'avr-as' is indeed available. As I said, I'm an idiot. I know nothing.

I'll prove it even further: avrtools by urjaman

I could have saved myself the trouble, about 100 MB, embarrassment and have the tools 8 months ago.

:blink:
I'm really sorry about that. That should've been listed on the wiki software projects list. I think maybe it wasn't because back when it was released, the list's mandate didn't include PNDs for developers yet.

I'm really sorry about that. That should've been listed on the wiki software projects list. I think maybe it wasn't because back when it was released, the list's mandate didn't include PNDs for developers yet.
Don't be sorry. I should have searched better. Also, I learned a lot.

Thanks for adding urjaman's avrtools to the wiki! (assuming you did that)

:)

Back