Panasonic 3do Emulator

If the GP2X port the FreeDO author kept talking about really was worked on as much as he said and implied then it will hopefully work well on Pandora. If not, a straight port of the PC version probably isn't going to cut it.

I did not know there was a GP2X version in development or was . But hopefully the author releases the source code versions for the dreamcast & pocket PC . I dont know much about programming but pocket PCs (During the time it was being developed ) and Dreamcast are low powered devices compared to the pandora hardware wise.

Cervante said:
I did not know there was a GP2X version in development or was . But hopefully the author releases the source code versions for the dreamcast & pocket PC . I dont know much about programming but pocket PCs (During the time it was being developed ) and Dreamcast are low powered devices compared to the pandora hardware wise.
Dreamcast low powered compared to pandora? Pandora ~ gamecube, and DC is only half a gen behind gamecube. I don't think it's fair to underestimate what the DC is capable of. Just imagine trying to emulate it ;) We might start being able to consider the possibility with the cortex A9 :D

As a side note, it would be great to a 3DO emu for the pandora. It would be one of the defining apps that justifies the pandora (psx, n64, 3DO, etc.). I hope we see the port sooner or later :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dreamcast low powered compared to pandora? Pandora ~ gamecube, and DC is only half a gen behind gamecube. I don't think it's fair to underestimate what the DC is capable of. Just imagine trying to emulate it We might start being able to consider the possibility with the cortex A9
Ha, I tried that argument with Exophase .... it didn't go well. :) Although i guess it depends on what you mean by "significant" in the "Moore's Law" electronics world. Your probably be safe in assuming the Cortex A8 is >2x the speed..... Assuming the A8's Neon unit is comparable to the SH-4's VFPU.

Adventus said:
Assuming the A8's Neon unit is comparable to the SH-4's VFPU.
If by "VFPU" you mean "dot product instruction", and clock for clock Cortex-A8's NEON really isn't comparable since the ops are only 2-way at a time. Using VMLA as the comparable instruction, although it's not really the same it should be if you order your data structures right. VMLA takes two cycles, assuming no data hazards, and I believe the comparable instruction for SH4 takes 1 cycle. This is throughput, not latency, but for things you want to do a bunch of dot products on it's usually easy to parallelize a bunch of them together. So at the same clock speed SH4 wins for this, at 600MHz Cortex-A8 has a marked advantage, and at 900MHz it should be over 2x.

But for applications where performance means more than dot products (which is probably the case for most things we'll be doing), IE integer performance, Cortex-A8 easily beats SH4 even at the same clock speed, so I'm expecting more than 3x the performance at 600MHz. Especially where integer SIMD can be employed on NEON.

Exophase said:
Adventus said:
Assuming the A8's Neon unit is comparable to the SH-4's VFPU.
If by "VFPU" you mean "dot product instruction", and clock for clock Cortex-A8's NEON really isn't comparable since the ops are only 2-way at a time. Using VMLA as the comparable instruction, although it's not really the same it should be if you order your data structures right. VMLA takes two cycles, assuming no data hazards, and I believe the comparable instruction for SH4 takes 1 cycle. This is throughput, not latency, but for things you want to do a bunch of dot products on it's usually easy to parallelize a bunch of them together. So at the same clock speed SH4 wins for this, at 600MHz Cortex-A8 has a marked advantage, and at 900MHz it should be over 2x.

But for applications where performance means more than dot products (which is probably the case for most things we'll be doing), IE integer performance, Cortex-A8 easily beats SH4 even at the same clock speed, so I'm expecting more than 3x the performance at 600MHz. Especially where integer SIMD can be employed on NEON.

Yes, that's very important about the 900 MHZ. From what we've been told, all parts can do 900 MHZ stable, some even higher. If it only eats more battery, I think a lot will gladly make the sacrifice for better emu performance.

Back