Painkiller

pubjoe

Website
Visit site
Has anyone played the demo of Painkiller? If not I suggest you download it.

Theres a lot of doom lovers here so I think you'll all like it, it's refreshing to play a new FPS thats back to basics zombie blasting (Most FPS's at the moment try to be too clever and end up far too over-complicated).

The game is Awsome and Rock-Hard, There are literally hundreds of zombies after you (Try level 3) And the Boss on level 5 is the most impressive thing I've seen in a long time.

This is gonna be the first PC game that gets my money for ages!

[edit] Oh yeah, www.painkillergame.com[/edit]

Sweet! Now that's and old school Ego-shooter! Anyway, I definitely do not agree that thew game is hard, is a really easy, I think. I finished the whole demo using the pain (or whatever your first weapon ist called), not a really big problem. I loved the boss! I at once thought of Soul Calibur 2: Fighting him feels like battling Astaroth, I love it! Also, I was really impressed with the speed. This baby ran at a constant 50 fps with no slowdowns on my 2,3 GHz Athlon (512 Ram, Radeon 9600 Pro)... at full detail, while I encoded a video in the background and a well-known filesharing program was running. REALLY impressing, to my mind.

However, I really miss some personality in the protagonist. I hope that it changes when the game goes gold, but as it is now, the character is boring as hell. To get to the point: I miss generic taunts, or something that makes the character feel special. Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior had fortune cookies ("Man who buy drowned cat pay for wet pussy"), Duke Nuke'em had his insults ("You're an inspiration for birth control"), the Postal Dude had his taunts ("The gene pool is stagnant, and I'm the administer of chlorine"), Malachi from Requiem had his angelic powers and his biblical referrences... ah well, I think that's enough examples. The protagonist just does not feel ALIVE yet. An animation or two of fumbling with his weapon (ala postal dude preparing the rocket launcher :D) and a little speech and the athmosphere would really be thicker.

Anyway, great game so far. I think I'll buy it if I can get hold of the american version (I won'tr even start to imagine how the german one will be saughtered *shiver*)

Yeah the speed is really good, my machine is under the minimum specs on the website, 1600+ XP, 256MB, ti 4200 but it still ran as smooth as anything with all detail levels maxed up, I think they need to change the specification on their website as most companies recomend unrealistically low specs.

I did find it hard though I was only on medium (insomnia) difficulty and found the amount of baddies really overwhelming - always running out of ammo. It's nowhere near as easy as every other shooter around.

I love it when you first see the boss and you think, "fuck, he's big!", then you fire a rocket at him and it travels for miles and miles into the distance before finally hitting him and you think "FUCK THAT IS BIG!!!".

[edit]
mmm... I think it's a matter of opinion about the main characters personality. With fps games, the main character is "you" - too much personality (ie: Duke) can get really annoying. A couple of good examples are the Zelda games where link always has a blank expression, or the Doom games etc etc.

...Thats not to say it's the rule, but any character's personality in these sort of games needs very careful thought in my opinion.
[/edit]

Back