Frustrating Moments in Gaming

Darxide for the 32X. Very first level.

Actually a very nice and good-looking game, but the time limit is so absurdly short that it's impossible to even pass the first level on easy mode (and I don't think it's just me, I've noticed others saying the same thing). Also, when you invariably fail, the game doesn't tell you how close you came to succeeding.

I really enjoyed Prince of Persia: warrior within, but I never completed it because I couldn't kill the Dahaka at the end and gave up.

Also I completed dead space 2 recently, I enjoyed it despite the "horror" being cheap and easy, but the final boss was just a real pain in the anus, I had to lower the difficulty just to get it out of the way. I don't mind retrying over and over again if something takes skill, but if the game all of a sudden switches to playing dirty then it can kiss my beans.

Pandora wise: It consistently amazes me every time I load up a spectrum game that I had the patience to play most of them, but I think that is a bad thing. Games these days are so incredibly easy, in fact most of the time they hold your hand and guide you through the entire experience, where as back in the day you would be punching your tv screen and babbling in tongues.

Left4Dead, the tanks crazy 'homing missile' rock in Expert mode which WILL hit you even when you think you are well hidden behind a tree or just at a impossible angle for him to throw. Terrible collision detection, frustrating.
Yeah, the AI Tanks are ridiculously good at leading people. I don't think they're supposed to change direction in-flight, so in L4D2 you can usually change direction after he throws a rock and dodge it.

Being stun-locked is frustrating, though. Once the Tank punches you, unless you're lucky enough to be punched very far away and still have 40+ health, you're as good as incapped. Same shit happens in Shadow of the Colossus, the two miniature Colossi would always knock you down, wait until you were back up, then knock you down again. You would have to wait like 2 minutes beating the shit out of your PS2 controller while your health was chipped away.

Gothic 3

how can a level 1 boar kill my level 30 warrior?

I'll tell you how, because of the 100% knock back physics I can't even swing and eventually die if you don't get the first swing in.

I almost snapped my keyboard in half

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to add this, because it demonstrates one of my main gripes about some games: Battle for Wesnoth. I had three high-level melee characters pummeling a lowly puny enemy. The dice kept rolling against me so they never hit the bastard. The little enemy that usually poses no threat killed two of those high-level characters with the third dying a little later while running away. After this I have not created a single game where the effects of an event are random in any way, but deterministic, just calculated with a complex formula. I only use randomness for content generation and AI behavior.

Love the game in all aspects but that one tiny detail. :D

The dice kept rolling against me so they never hit the bastard.
This is the reason I don't play Risk anymore. I had a huge army that was almost completely wiped out in a single turn because of a long string of bad rolls. A few bad rolls is a problem, but when you get 4 times the statistical number of losses in a row, you start to question the game. No amount of strategy can save you then. Even poker, a game for which the entire premise is based around luck, still has some strategy for recovery if you get a string of bad luck.

This is the reason I don't play Risk anymore. I had a huge army that was almost completely wiped out in a single turn because of a long string of bad rolls. A few bad rolls is a problem, but when you get 4 times the statistical number of losses in a row, you start to question the game. No amount of strategy can save you then.

But isn't this exactly what can happen with war in the real world? Frustrating yes, but realistic.

This is the reason I don't play Risk anymore. I had a huge army that was almost completely wiped out in a single turn because of a long string of bad rolls. A few bad rolls is a problem, but when you get 4 times the statistical number of losses in a row, you start to question the game. No amount of strategy can save you then.

But isn't this exactly what can happen with war in the real world? Frustrating yes, but realistic.
I don't think Hitler and Churchill threw dices for who was going to live or die..

I don't think Hitler and Churchill threw dices for who was going to live or die..
not to devel too much into my own war experience, but I've seen first hand sometimes those that live and die in the heat of battle are as random as a throw of a dice.

all the physical and mental training can't stop a bullet with your name on it.

^ On the other hand, one guy with a pointy stick on open plains in daylight can't win against a platoon of mechanized infantry without an infinite improbability drive.

EDIT: The point being that sometimes in these games the smaller (read: a small fraction of the other) force wins against unrealistic odds. And not due to good planning or tactics or terrain, but pure luck.

The dice kept rolling against me so they never hit the bastard.
This is the reason I don't play Risk anymore. I had a huge army that was almost completely wiped out in a single turn because of a long string of bad rolls. A few bad rolls is a problem, but when you get 4 times the statistical number of losses in a row, you start to question the game. No amount of strategy can save you then. Even poker, a game for which the entire premise is based around luck, still has some strategy for recovery if you get a string of bad luck.

Well, that's what happens to me with every game I play.

Play Monopoly with me, have one hotel and I own the rest, and you can be sure I visit your hotel each turn and no one visits my streets...

Same for Yathzee, Risk, etc.

Something I definately do NOT have is luck with games.

Played 6 or 7 games against my girlfriend last weekend (Monopoly, Yathzee, etc.) and did lose every single game.

but at least if your girlfriend wins you are entitled to funsies

I thought of one. I was playing Syphon Filter, and made it to the last boss. I probably spent thirty minutes trying to defeat him. Finally, giving up in frustration, I decide to read some of the flavor text in the pause menu. Somehow I find out that the boss is wearing head to toe body armor. I kept finding gas grenades somewhere, so I thought, "WTH" and tossed one. Bam, dead.

In retrospect, it seems so obvious. He was wearing a kevlar vest and a beret. Why did I think bullets would affect him?

Never making it to ELITE status in the game Elite despite sooooooo many hours playing it

How about those ones where you get to the end of a level and there's this (near) impossible mini game?

I remember hating Golglo 13 on the NES as a kid. It was so frustratingly difficult at times!

Back