P-Uae Users - Status

I would do it, but I zero experience with linux/unix development. Buying a pandora was going to help me change that :p

Anyway, thank you devs for porting UAE and many others applications to the pandora. Maybe, I can contribute in the future.

Jason

DaveC said:
I was surprised that Amiga wasn't in a better state too. I mean we almost have near fullspeed PSX and even decent N64 but Amiga lags. I can't believe that a 7 MHz Amiga was more complex than those. You would think an unoptimized Amiga emu would even be smooth at 500 MHz.

It is smooth on A500/A600 games/software, but the A500 and A1200 are incredibly complex machines. You think the SNES was complex? The Amiga really was the Rolls-Royce of computers for its time.

However I've no doubt it will get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
state of the art does work on UAE4ALL, not that its worth anything its just a woman dancing to some music and some wonderful 90's dance patterns

if someone works on P(andora)UAE for pandora, please submit your changes so that i can merge with official version..

please also note that there are lotsa code that can be removed/changed for pandora version to run faster, don't try to change cpu core before that..

GnoStiC said:
please also note that there are lotsa code that can be removed/changed for pandora version to run faster, don't try to change cpu core before that..

What kind of areas are you thinking of? Avoiding CPU core changes would be good, partly as its not easy on UAE, partly as it would require updating, partly as there is no useful 68020 core.

for example:
display code for one.
it checks if the system is 8 or 16 bit every time it is called, if you remove that compare it'll be a little faster but considering that it is called *a lot*, it'll be an important speed increase.
there are a lot of system info checks as it was designed to run on different platforms. if you strip it to run for a single platform, it'll be faster..
and so on..

silver said:
GnoStiC said:

What kind of areas are you thinking of? Avoiding CPU core changes would be good, partly as its not easy on UAE, partly as it would require updating, partly as there is no useful 68020 core.

I am up for donating to get gn0stic a pandora. Anyone else? I honestly think he is the only hope for P-UAE, UAE4ALL is just too incompatible and missing too many features.

craigix said:
For A500 it works perfectly speed wise, let's not let that slow rumour get going, but yeah, it needs work on supporting the Pandora controls.
Actually the controls are already (almost) perfect. Dpad and all the action buttons are correctly mapped. The keyboard also works 100%. Probably because it just "forwards" the mapping of the keystrokes from Linux. But hey, it works flawless. So no real need for adjustments (except maybe a special Pinball-mapping).

The only real missing thing is the normal write-to-floppy-functionality which is broken in this release (probably savegames are written into nirvana).

Savestates and scaling of the displayed area are almost must-have features for the future.

I don't think we'll see touchscreen-support in fullscreen-mode. But windowed it works. And you can just move the window so you don't see the title bar (like you can do with PUAE) making it almost fullscreen (should be possible to play Lemmings and Cannon Fodder with the stylus that way).

Yesterday I added the possibility to move the displayed area vertically. See this new thread in the Betatest-forums to try it out: UAE4All additions

Iorgy77 said:
I am up for donating to get gn0stic a pandora. Anyone else? I honestly think he is the only hope for P-UAE, UAE4ALL is just too incompatible and missing too many features.

+1. GnoStiC is the developer I was most hopeful would be coding Amiga emulation on the Pandora.

Macguyver said:
Iorgy77 said:

+1. GnoStiC is the developer I was most hopeful would be coding Amiga emulation on the Pandora.

If you can get 500 people to donate 50p each for a 1 nubber you can count me in. You'll need to wait till I get my next giro though.

GnoStiC said:
for example:
display code for one.
it checks if the system is 8 or 16 bit every time it is called, if you remove that compare it'll be a little faster but considering that it is called *a lot*, it'll be an important speed increase.
there are a lot of system info checks as it was designed to run on different platforms. if you strip it to run for a single platform, it'll be faster..
and so on..
GnoStiC said:

Great info thanks - it would be really helpful to get a list of "quick wins" like this for someone to work through once your code changes settle down a bit.... You are probably in a useful position to reel off some suggestion areas for optimization like this.... if you have the time.

I am up for donating to get gn0stic a pandora

No idea if he currently has one, but he has used the prototypes - early amiga videos from years ago(literally)were from Gnostic. I don't believe he is currently interested in the Pandora, though would happily be corrected...

I like State of the Art, and it doesn't work on my Pandora! Neither does Goal!, Micrprose F1GP, Full Contact, Project X, Speedball 2 or many other A500 games. What am I doing wrong in the settings? I must have the right kickrom in otherwise it wouldn't work at all no? It's 512kb so everything should be fine, are my settings wrong?

state of the art does work I have it working on my pandora ill do a quick vid then post it.

also you need kickrom 1.3 (do a google search) and yes should be the 512k version and it needs to be renamed kick.rom and placed in pandora>appdata>uae4all

nope I leave mine on default settings I don't change anything :)

here you go... Enjoy :)

and just to let you know the clicking you can here is the camera's auto focus (its and old camera only 3 megapixels from like 2003)

You guys need to clarify what emulator you are using. This thread is (in theory) about P-UAE, derived from E-UAE (which is a linux port of UAE), which is porting all the current WinUAE code over to linux.

UAE4All - a heavily modifed version of UAE - is a Amiga A500 only emulator, heavily optimized for speed on ARM based handhelds, with good speed and reasonable(ish) compatibility.

P-UAE - is a fully fledged A500/A600/A1200/A4000, extended cards, extra memory, RTG graphics, harddrives etc.. emulator that is currently completely unoptimised for anything. The main problem is that no-one has written a JIT compiler for ARM on UAE - only for x86 I think. The JIT backend provides a huge speed boost. So it's a bit too slow at the moment on the Pandora, although Gnostic has indicated there is plenty to optmise - assuming someone spends the effort....

If state of the art does not work on PUAE - then it could be reported as a bug, but you'll need to include relevant info etc.....?

Yeah if Uae4all could save to disk, that would be awesome. Most of my games are running fine, just can't save progress (other than savestates)...and in a game that won't let you progress unless it saves (Superstar Ice Hockey, for example), then you're done, unfortunately.

Save to disk works fine in UAE4All. But I have it unpacked on my SD Card (not as PND).

Back