Overclocking Experiment

Robster

Dodgy hardware mod maker
Website
www.cobbleware.com
After changing my GP32's RAM, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't overclock any better. So I decided to borrow an idea from the PC overclocking community and increase the CPU core voltage. This should be 1.8V, my GP32 measured at 1.78V, and the data sheet says it is allowed to be between 1.65V and 1.95V. The mod is pretty simple, just replacing a resistor in one of the voltage regulators in the GP32.

So, now my GP32 is running with a core voltage of 1.88V. And the results? Well... not too conclusive. Before the change, I could run at 144MHz reliably and 150MHz on new batteries. After the change, I can run 156MHz reliably but I still can't do 166MHz :angry: . I could increase it a little more, but my poor GP32's been in pieces too often already so I'll resist the temptation!

Err... and the point of this story? Not sure I have one. Hopefully someone will be interested in it! :rolleyes:

Haha unlucky I can play at 156mhz with batteries and am gonna try 160 and 166 and with a power suply maybe snes will run faster.

Yeah this is something i'd like solved too, some people can go even higher than 166mhz.

Its been in the back of my mind, I once asked gamepark and they just said its down the the quality of the parts in a sort of crazy broken english way.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

hahah mine can go to any level, cause I am very lucky, Boo haha and now im selling it to ShenFlare which will also be lucky. It seems somethings work differently when the BIOS is flashed and the SMC is flashed. It almost kicks out any bugs. I suggest it, because the only thing that will go wrong is not the program's doing but your failure to put in new good batts.

Robster-
do you know if anybody has any plans to release any trial optimized programs for a 32mb ram GP32? The source code of VBA has been released and it would be interesting to see if you could run the larger roms, and also if performance is enhanced at all......

this cpu increase is dungerous and aviable for all people?
And how much it could be overoverclocked?

Anyone have any emu's that are +166 because mine seems to do 166 damn good. :D
I'll get slated for telling you this, but here goes...You can get 172Mhz & 180Mhz versions from my site. If anyone wants others speeds I can do most as well

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah would be nice to know if the 8 and 16 mb roms of the gba would work with a modded version of vba, haha goldensun2 on gp32 :D and rayman and pokemon, would be nice to see some pics :D
bye

maybe this resitor is the reason some people can overclock better than others. Maybe the ones that can go as far as 172 and 180 have a resister which is letting throug a voltage closer to the 1.95V than others who can not overclock this high.

Back