Outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyTwoHats

Still Fresh
I don't know guys the Cortex A8 is looking kinda dated now, even the iphone 3Gs has one. Plus I can actually go and buy one down the street today, not in 4 weeks.

It can't even run tie fighter, my old 80486 could do that.

The chip to have now is the cortex A9, maybe it should be switched to using that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A9_MPCore

4 cores, clocked up to 1Ghz... looks a lot cooler...

If its getting that outdated, and you can buy better stuff now? whats the point in keeping my pre-order?

Sorry but we live in an era where your newly purchased PC gets outdated 5 seconds later, so obviously there's always gonna be something "better".

Being the most newest and awesome device in the planet shouldn't be the real reason why you're getting a Pandora, because if it is you are bound to get frustrated, it's just a matter of time...

And about changing the processor, that's not an option, the boards are already tested and some in mass production, it's not like the team is willing to put even more delays to the project. With our luck by the time they get the new processor in it would be outdated. :p

(Is it just me or there have been many threads like this one?)

*laughs*

Well the Cortex-A9 can't run tie fighter neither..

You might be right, more devices using an A8 do appear right now.
But there is nothing like the Pandora right now, bringing up an x86 is another pointless thing to do.
Not only that it is not portable, but its also using somewhat more power and is in a somewhat different class.

Also, you do know that we stopped accepting hardware changes like... more than 1 year ago? We are close to shipping I guess.

I'm tempted just to jailbreak the new iphone. I wonder if it would beat Pandora in terms of raw power.

Apple have had access to the A8/SGX *much* longer than us - they have only just got to market, we are 4-6weeks behind them.

That's pretty good I think.

and the problem is?
yes the iPhone 3gs has desame specs as the pandora. but believe me, playing games is gonna be cooler on a pandora, then on a iphone 3gs.
And also, how would the iphone 3gs beat the screen of the pandora? iphone 3gs got multitouch.....true, but not a HD resolution :)

The pandora is equal in value with the new iphone 3gs by my opinion, thats why im buying them both.

reminds me of that sketch in the The Onion News movie with the rampant outdating of those computer models. ;-)

the thing in the end is that you can buy an A9 but what will make use of it for you? you can get other A8 devices right now aswell, but what you can't do at all is get a device as 'open' as this one with the same feature set.

if there were alternatives such thoughts would be less useless for you but there are none, unless you don't specifically want the pandora, but any device as similar as there currently are.

(not necessarily adressing you, OP) prematurely connoisseur:ish and hyped fixation with something like the p&|a won't last the first week after you get it if you're not going to make use of the perks of the device, such as the ability to write your own or find peculiar apps and games for it, play most old systems (where just some or really one or two of them might do for you in reality?), play odd music formats that require particular software rendering or emulation etc...

and if you end up finding out you didn't really plan to make use of all of these cool open source, retro and specific kind of uses you'll probably wish you would've gotten the iPhone instead since the p&|a really won't be that very slim, it will require few or many extra hoops to really replace your pocket mp3 player, outhandy your phone in mobile surfing etc etc.

lengthy argumentative post but perhaps there is some naïve (not to be judging) overhyping that needs to be treated with some sober reflection that might be the bigger of factors behind the irritation growing on the boards lately.

(I speak only from personal experience)

Boys, it is a troll. An effective one, apparently, but nothing but a troll. Don't feed it, and it will go away again.

Using a Cortex-A9 in anything is impossible. There are no application processors utilizing it and there won't be for at least another year. It took a long time before Cortex-A8 was available widespread too.

Probably the best ARM based SoC on the market right now is the Qualcomm QSD8250, but good luck actually buying them. Especially in low volume. The i.MX51 is probably a good competitor for the OMAP3530, but not terribly clear cut.. they're probably also difficult to obtain in low volume. The OMAP3530 is probably the most realistic high end ARM SoC you can get in low volume right now.

The ARM SoC's coming out next year are going to totally blow away the ones available this year.

Buying a Cortex-A9 now is indeed difficult :p If we're to believe nVidia recent announcement, that will happen next year in Tegra2.

OTOH you could have gotten Cortex-A8 in a product many months ago, for instance in some Archos products.
Last thing, i.MX51 is not good, at least its first stepping. I don't know if they'll fix that or not.

All in all, I still think the Pandora will be the first in its class, even if it's late.

Mobile devices take time to develop, a chip may be out but it takes a good few months of development before it will be in a device. These mobile processors are largely a system on a chip, they aren't a CPU like your PC where you (so long as it has the right socket) plug in the latest greatest chip.

Having the latest A9 chip would be a totally new Pandora board and much of the firmware would need reworking.

I don't know guys the Cortex A8 is looking kinda dated now, even the iphone 3Gs has one. Plus I can actually go and buy one down the street today, not in 4 weeks.
If you want to do that, feel free to do so.
The chip to have now is the cortex A9, maybe it should be switched to using that.
If its getting that outdated, and you can buy better stuff now? whats the point in keeping my pre-order?
From where exactly? Please tell. I'm interested. In fact, talk about it elsewhere, this thread is pointless in this forum.
(I also challenge you to open a Pandora and point to the Cortex-A8 part...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back