Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like EEE pc. :\ Depends how big it is. I still think the keyboard should be eliminated, or make it like a slider, or something. It tooks too much space and is not very ergonomic for a gaming device. :(

Is this the final design? Or it can be still adjusted? Because if it can't, then pages of posts with suggestions will be spared.

Dead Ghost said:
Is that site real? Aka official? And that is the final design? It looks like EEE pc. :\ Depends how big it is. I still think the keyboard should be eliminated, or make it like o slider, or something. It tooks too much space and is not very ergonomic for a gaming device. :(
I agree it doesn't seem thick enough to me and I don't like the look of the layout for gaming. See my more in depth reply in the general Pandora talk

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how you can grip it correctly? I mean, how are you supposed to reach all the way up there? I'm hoping that this is just an prototype, but even if this is what the final product is going to look like, I'm still going to buy it (nice call on the clamshell, it protects the unit while keeping it compact).

I really wish this fad of making everything as small and slim as possible would end. It doesn't make for an ergonomic comfortable piece of hardware.

I wouldn't mind if, come the worst I had to carry this thing in a shoulder bag!
And it could easily be bigger and fit in a coat pocket.
When I heard that Craig and co. gave up on trying to help GPH and were to make their own mark I figured that they're sure to get it right- then it was stated that PSX would be a high possibility and I imagined
"so right, they'll put enough buttons on there to play as originally intended and we'll finally get something with both the power and the controls to enjoy gaming on the go"
We need 4 buttons easily accessible for that and we've only 2 shoulders, where with extra thickness it would be more comfortable to hold and have the room for 4- I posted a pic how to achieve that without adding extra depth to the console.. :( PSX isn't everything but still, it makes no sense to me as if it was a true upgrade from GP2X it ought to be all it was and more not a step backwards in design.
If it had to be the way it is at the moment I'd rather lose the keyboard as well, better yet make it thicker and have a slideout, killing two birds with one stone.. more comfortable to hold and less crowded at the same time

imec said:
I don't see how you can grip it correctly? I mean, how are you supposed to reach all the way up there?
well they work fine on the ds lite and they are in pretty much the exact same position.

nintendo_ds_uk_1.jpg

I added a picture to the wiki.

Hint to CraigIX, MWeston, and EvilDragon:

Overlaying everything with a one-pixel transparent GIF and then using a single image for the layout is NOT COOL.

zaffercharles said:
I wouldn't mind if, come the worst I had to carry this thing in a shoulder bag!
I don't know. Sometimes functionality is not always worth the extra size. I own a first gen LARGE zen vision 60gb and while I love it to bits because of the higher audio quality than other mp3s, some times I simply cannot take it out with me because it won't fit in my pocket and only fits in my bag.

Anyway I just had a look at the openpandora site and the keyboard just looks really out of place. It looks like, as with a slidy device, it should only be visible if and when you need it, otherwise it just looks a bit in the way.

Is that image the final version? I was among those hoping for a sliding keyboard, but that's pretty minor, I can deal with a clamshell. I hope all the buttons/sticks/etc are the same colour as the rest of the device when it's released, though. Otherwise they'll stand out too much and kind of clash with the rest of the machine, IMO. I'm nitpicking, though. I'm more interested in the details of the TV out, as well as the "OpenGL 2.0 compliant 3D hardware". I thought this thing was only going to be OpenGL ES compliant?

ummmm... It's REALLY basic, is that the final design? I can't see myself using the touchscreen productively with that set-up. And I personally vote for a black plastic. Does anyone agree?

evilwallpaper said:
imec said:
I don't see how you can grip it correctly? I mean, how are you supposed to reach all the way up there?
well they work fine on the ds lite and they are in pretty much the exact same position.

I'm referring to the analog "sticks" moreover. Really, doesn't it look a little difficult to reach that far? Although, I didn't realize how small it actually is. Judging by the newly added pictures, it looks like it's not too much bigger than a DS. Also, they already have it in different colors? Does that mean they are already producing the shells? I hope this isn't the final design, but then again, I don't really care as long as it feels comfortable.

I also hope it's nothing like this:
Pandora's Box

And... the keyboard does suck. Whose bright idea was it to make the keys completely flat? The D-Pad and buttons are raised, so there's no reason not to have the keys rounded and spaced appart, like every keyboard since the Nokia 9000 and pager network Blackberries. The only good thing is having the space off to the side.

It looks like the keys are more like traditional keyboard keys, which I would definitely like.

I'm liking the clamshell design, esp. in terms of protecting the screen, and it allows for proper speaker placement that won't be blocked by your palms like on the GP2X. :p Very nice to see it's going to have dual SD card slots, although as someone mentioned it does seem a bit superfluous what with the device already having WiFi onboard. Perhaps one use would be, as previously suggested, using a program stored on one SD card to handle content stored on another card.
Keys are to be slightly convex, I hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back