Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
C B Felterbush said:
I don't know I think with the right hardware and software, one might be able to run the single player mode of Diablo2, there would be little chance of multiplayer but it would be interesting to see at least a running version. Prob wont happen though. -CB
Diablo II is closed source, as is the first one. You won't get either running as they are both written and compiled only for x86 machines. You could possibly get the first one running in dosbox I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
Well look at the start date of the thread - that makes it fairly clear.
not for someone who knew nothing about this f200 and knew that there was a gp2x successor coming out :( so 1+1=2 for me. ho hum

What I don't understand is that you posted info on the f200, when there's already a topic open on that. I would of thought that since people are still discussing a totally different console here whilst the f200 thread was open would be obvious enough.

Squidge said:
What I don't understand is that you posted info on the f200, when there's already a topic open on that. I would of thought that since people are still discussing a totally different console here whilst the f200 thread was open would be obvious enough.
jesus christ dude. i dont want an argument. but for someone who doesn't spent every day on these forums, please by all means flame me for trying to contribute. where is this so called thread on the f200?* its certainly not pinned to the top and there's not anything other active thread other than the f100-f200 compatibility thread within the first couple of pages.

* a rhetorical question.

Maybe checkout the news section?

I don't mean to flame, although I do have an evil streak in me at times.

thefunkygibbon said:
Squidge said:
jesus christ dude. i dont want an argument. but for someone who doesn't spent every day on these forums, please by all means flame me for trying to contribute. where is this so called thread on the f200?* its certainly not pinned to the top and there's not anything other active thread other than the f100-f200 compatibility thread within the first couple of pages.

* a rhetorical question.

Shhhhhhh.....do not anger the....the....*gulp*.....the Squidge....

I don't have the heart to go through the thousands of messages about this, so I'm just wondering if anyone's considering the software side of it, in the sense of having a stardard way of doing things. I guess it was tried with the GP2X and somewhat ignored, stuff like having the B button always for confirming and X for canceling. Also, I think that something could be done in the libraries, like having some way of facilitating game saves, which would make more coders use them. Maybe have some sort of handler that you could register in a program for "ops, almost out of batteries" condition, so they could use the remaning time they have to save.

Just some random thoughts I had about what would make it feel like a better console. Flame away :unsure:

Perky_Goth said:
I don't have the heart to go through the thousands of messages about this, so I'm just wondering if anyone's considering the software side of it, in the sense of having a stardard way of doing things. I guess it was tried with the GP2X and somewhat ignored, stuff like having the B button always for confirming and X for canceling. Also, I think that something could be done in the libraries, like having some way of facilitating game saves, which would make more coders use them. Maybe have some sort of handler that you could register in a program for "ops, almost out of batteries" condition, so they could use the remaning time they have to save.

Just some random thoughts I had about what would make it feel like a better console. Flame away
I likes the "Oops, battery almost dead!" idea. Integrate that with a Home screen and it'd be pure awesome.

btw: anyone else having a hard time viewing this thread in hi-fi mode? I have to go to lo-fi to readthe last posts then switch to hi-fi to reply or else I get a "file missing" error.

From what I have read, it looks like Craigix et al, are designing a machine that is not just a games machine, but a media player and pda. I think one of the best designs I seen is the HTC Universal.

48809598.jpg

You can open it up and use it laptop style.

DSC06319.JPG

You can then twist the top and hide the keyboard to use the touch screen - notice that you can have the joypad (and buttons in our case) along side the screen.

0000000257_keSp161211101644.jpg

I think this could very work. I'm not sure about how much it would cost to implement this (it could add cost to the unit)

The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming unsure of the benefits of having an on-unit keyboard. Perhaps it'd be useful for some casual on-the-go messaging and note-taking, but for gaming I'd rather use a Bluetooth keyboard which would be closer to a fullsize keyboard thus easier to use for games. That goes for the mouse too in the case of Quake at least.

I'd really like a good cradle though, for hooking the machine up to a TV set (SCART) or VGA monitor and adding multiple USB joysticks, keyboard, mouse, HDD enclosures and so on. If the cradle had an RJ-45 Ethernet interface as well, that'd be awesome (then I could use the machine+cradle as an Ethernet interface for my set top box when at home, while doubling as a retro console for the family).

One thing that bothers me about the HTC Universal design is, how would you use the gaming controls (on the sides of the screen) comfortably when the keyboard is folded out?

and why have a physical keyboard on a touchscreen device ???
a virtual would work just as fine,and has the added benefit of customization.

cappuchok said:
The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming unsure of the benefits of having an on-unit keyboard. Perhaps it'd be useful for some casual on-the-go messaging and note-taking, but for gaming I'd rather use a Bluetooth keyboard which would be closer to a fullsize keyboard thus easier to use for games. That goes for the mouse too in the case of Quake at least.

I'd really like a good cradle though, for hooking the machine up to a TV set (SCART) or VGA monitor and adding multiple USB joysticks, keyboard, mouse, HDD enclosures and so on. If the cradle had an RJ-45 Ethernet interface as well, that'd be awesome (then I could use the machine+cradle as an Ethernet interface for my set top box when at home, while doubling as a retro console for the family).

One thing that bothers me about the HTC Universal design is, how would you use the gaming controls (on the sides of the screen) comfortably when the keyboard is folded out?
I have got one (Orange SPV 5000). When the screen is flat covering the keyboard, it very comfortable in the hand. I used to play a few games like that. The unit is not that much thicker than a PSP. If the idea of a keyboard is not to your flaovour, then maybe a configurable touch sensitive membrane of some kind could work. Just an idea.

cappuchok said:

I disagree with the keyboard thing, if I had access to a bluetooth keyboard and mouse I'd probably also have access to a PC and i'd rather play quake on that. The main thing I want in a handheld is being mobile, I don't need any peripherals other than the charger.

evol said:
and why have a physical keyboard on a touchscreen device ???
a virtual would work just as fine,and has the added benefit of customization.
Tactile feedback, much faster typing and the keyboard doesn't take up the screen.
Typing on a touchscreen sucks.

tdp said:
I have got one (Orange SPV 5000). When the screen is flat covering the keyboard, it very comfortable in the hand. I used to play a few games like that. The unit is not that much thicker than a PSP. If the idea of a keyboard is not to your flaovour, then maybe a configurable touch sensitive membrane of some kind could work. Just an idea.
I was thinking more of the fact that a fold-out keyboard would add weight and bulk in the "wrong" place if you should still be able to use the gaming controls. A slide-up screen covering the keyboard like the Sidekick might be a better idea if a physical keyboard is to be included in this design (which I am not against, but I probably would prefer to use a Bluetooth keyboard for FPS games and use the built-in keyboard mainly for instant messaging and other text input not requiring precise timing).

@Draco

"Tactile feedback, much faster typing and the keyboard doesn't take up the screen.
Typing on a touchscreen sucks."

yes it does so when i want to type long sentences i just use my computer ;)
but this is a handheld right ?
typing will always suck on handhelds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back