Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
geise69 said:
I think there could be some really good ideas by looking at this device. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...h&plindex=8

Yes, that device is based upon the 2Q2008 45nm process Intel Menlow chipset (a "set" of ONE chip) and the Silverthorne CPU. Combined with the single-chip 7" Samsung LCD that uses 1/3 of the power of other displays, battery life will be doubled from typical devices available this year (6 hours is mentioned in the video linked to below). If I can resist, I may put off buying the Asus Eee PC to wait for UMPCs based upon this new chipset/CPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDieNDfRr4M

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I'd like to just confirm we are the people funding and making this.

I'd just like to confirm my emptier pocket when you finish doing so:p

Has this thread of speculation/ideas been useful to you though?

Dubya' said:
geise69 said:
I think there could be some really good ideas by looking at this device. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...h&plindex=8

Yes, that device is based upon the 2Q2008 45nm process Intel Menlow chipset (a "set" of ONE chip) and the Silverthorne CPU. Combined with the single-chip 7" Samsung LCD that uses 1/3 of the power of other displays, battery life will be doubled from typical devices available this year (6 hours is mentioned in the video linked to below). If I can resist, I may put off buying the Asus Eee PC to wait for UMPCs based upon this new chipset/CPU.

It's a peice of crap for gamers. You know how crap the intel GMA 950 is on a integreted mother board. Well that was 400Mhz with a fat pipe to your memeory. This will be a slight improvment on the 133mhz in teh McCaslin that is already available. It will have the same CPU Mhz as the current McCaslin. If you want to know game performance, just look at the current luckluster performance on the Samsung Q1 Ultra. It will play Quake3 but I wouldn't go beyond that.

Certainly more powerful than the Eee PC, but not by much.

icurafu said:
Dubya' said:
geise69 said:

It's a peice of crap for gamers. You know how crap the intel GMA 950 is on a integreted mother board. Well that was 400Mhz with a fat pipe to your memeory. This will be a slight improvment on the 133mhz in teh McCaslin that is already available. It will have the same CPU Mhz as the current McCaslin. If you want to know game performance, just look at the current luckluster performance on the Samsung Q1 Ultra. It will play Quake3 but I wouldn't go beyond that.

Certainly more powerful than the Eee PC, but not by much.

Even so, it will have perfect emulation of old systems like snes with zsnes etc. Probably would be able to emulate psx also.

Sorry if I'm a bit off topic or if some of this has already been suggested (I haven't read the 37 pages of posts before this one). Here are some of my suggestions (basically inexpensive things that improve quality IMHO).

The touchscreen protector:
I've always liked the GP2X screen protector, it's durable, cheap to replace, and it doesn't diminish screen quality. At the other end of the spectrum is the stock Palm Lifedrive screen protector. Think vinyl or "piece of tape". It's hard to attach (you always have air pockets underneath it), hard to remove, and makes the screen look like crap. But, it does protect the touchscreen from getting scratched by the stylus or other objects. For the new handheld, perhaps a flip-open screen protector (or the keyboard) could cover the screen when it's not in use. In any case, I'm not really sure how the screen protector can be done well, but it is kinda important.

Rubberized coating:
I've always liked a rubberized coating on fragile electronics since it keeps them from getting scratched or cracked. Other people probably don't like the feel of them. It'd probably be best to keep "skinz" (or whatever they're called) in mind when designing the case. I.e. make it easy to make said skinz or perhaps even make some as optional accessories since it's somewhat unlikely that an outside company will start making them unless this new handheld is significantly more popular than the GP2X.

Playing a media file on boot:
I personally don't like this feature, but others do. Playing an audio file should be optional, and one should be able to easily change it (i.e. not through flashing). The concept could even be extended to allow the playback of a 15 second (or whatever) video clip or show a custom image for that time.

Make it unbrickable:
Since firmware updates are inevitable and a lot of people are bound to be reflashing with custom images it should be possible to recover from a bad flash without a serial or JTAG cable. Perhaps one could boot entirely from an SD card if the supplied card has an OS on it.

Jack placement:
It should be possible to play with headphones, a power adaptor, TV-out, and a USB devices without having to adjust your hand placement. It should also be possible to plug in the headphones and drop the handheld into your pocket if you're listening to music. The rubberized jack covers on the GP2X look nice and probably protect it, but they seem like they could tear off, and they tend to get in the way if the jack is actually used.

USB host/client:
Just an idea: perhaps the USB port that one uses to attach the handheld to a computer could double as a USB host with the switch of a setting in the BIOS. I can't think of any reason off the top of my head that one would want to use the client as both a USB host and client at the same time. Perhaps have a full-size USB port on the handheld so adaptors aren't necessary (use an A to A USB cable to connect the handheld to a computer).

Power supply:
The handheld should be fairly easy to use with a universal power adapter. One nice feature would be a couple of diodes on the power circuit. Basically, getting the polarity wrong shouldn't fry the new handheld. The power jack and voltage should also be fairly common.

Hiss:
Many devices (and wall worts) constantly emit a whining noise a little above the normal adult range of hearing. It's very annoying for those of us that can hear it, especially for a device that you're holding.

Audio quality:
All MP3 players are not created equal. Some just plain sound better than others. Sometimes it's software (try listening to the same audio clip using VLC on both Windows and the BeOS, there's a world of difference), but other times it's hardware. My laptop has enough interference (or something) that I can actually listen to a radio station despite it not having a radio tuner. (I thought I was schizophrenic until I figured it out.) My Lifedrive PDA constantly makes a hissing noise through the speaker and if I plug in headphones.

Clock:
Personally, I can't decide whether a clock would be desirable or not. With one the new handheld could essentially become a (lousy but acceptable?) PDA, especially with homebrew software. Without one you don't have to worry about having a separate watch battery for the clock and it might be cheaper to make. Not having a clock would also reinforce the handheld's role as a gaming device rather than a PDA.

Misc:
IMHO the new handheld should be powerful enough to play h264 video (DVD resolution) and emulate most PSX games to a playable level (sound and everything).
Subtitle and audio stream selection in the video player would be nice.
TV-out also shouldn't cut-off parts of the screen like how the GP2X does it.
Some devices create a bunch of folders and files on any SD card inserted. It's nice that the GP2X doesn't.

On the subject of TV-Out cutting parts of the screen out.

This is not necessarily the GP2X's fault. It's the trainwreck that is NTSC. Effectively, different TVs will cut out different amount of the broadcast. The only way around this is to design the content using 'safe zones' in which there is clearance around the important bits in case of cutoff(hence why well subtitled things are set to leave space between the left and right.)

The solution is allowing an overscan in the video. Basically, allow the video to stretch or squash based on a saveable system setting, similar to how videocards do it.

there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all in the broadcast world until you talk about digital broadcast and HD.

Izomiac said:
Rubberized coating:
I've always liked a rubberized coating on fragile electronics since it keeps them from getting scratched or cracked. Other people probably don't like the feel of them. It'd probably be best to keep "skinz" (or whatever they're called) in mind when designing the case. I.e. make it easy to make said skinz or perhaps even make some as optional accessories since it's somewhat unlikely that an outside company will start making them unless this new handheld is significantly more popular than the GP2X.
At least some parts of the unit (specifically the grip areas) should be rubberized, IMHO. Comparing various gamepads I've always returned to the Thrustmaster pads which have perfect grip thanks to the rubberized body.

Izomiac said:
Make it unbrickable:
Since firmware updates are inevitable and a lot of people are bound to be reflashing with custom images it should be possible to recover from a bad flash without a serial or JTAG cable. Perhaps one could boot entirely from an SD card if the supplied card has an OS on it.
There have been hints from the dev team in this general direction.

Izomiac said:
USB host/client:
Just an idea: perhaps the USB port that one uses to attach the handheld to a computer could double as a USB host with the switch of a setting in the BIOS. I can't think of any reason off the top of my head that one would want to use the client as both a USB host and client at the same time. Perhaps have a full-size USB port on the handheld so adaptors aren't necessary (use an A to A USB cable to connect the handheld to a computer).
If I understand correctly, this is part of what the USB-To-Go specification is all about (having one physical port that can double as Host or Device port depending on the situation (and it's automatic depending on what's on the other end of the cable).

Izomiac said:
Power supply:
The handheld should be fairly easy to use with a universal power adapter. One nice feature would be a couple of diodes on the power circuit. Basically, getting the polarity wrong shouldn't fry the new handheld. The power jack and voltage should also be fairly common.
It's been said, I believe, (in the old thread) that a suitable power adapter will be bundled with the device.

Izomiac said:
Hiss:
Many devices (and wall worts) constantly emit a whining noise a little above the normal adult range of hearing. It's very annoying for those of us that can hear it, especially for a device that you're holding.
Yes, many PDAs and smartphones "suffer" from this, I've actually given up on several devices simply because the hiss produced (usually by the screen electronics) have been so persistant as to give me a splitting headache, and the hissing noise usually becomes louder on a scale from fairly quiet when there's no backlight, then gradually louder with enabling backlight, charging via USB and charging from a wall outlet, in that order. Precautions to eliminate such hissing noises is very much needed if the device is to be popular (in relative terms) among a younger audience as well as with those of us adults who can still hear those frequencies.

Izomiac said:
My Lifedrive PDA constantly makes a hissing noise through the speaker and if I plug in headphones.

That's a problem I also frequently encounter, especially in devices that weren't really designed with headphones in mind as a crucial accessory. MP3 players usually have perfectly adjusted headphone jacks with no interference, while laptops are considerably worse. But it also depends on the headphones you're using (I've found that high-quality headphones usually picks up the hiss in a more pronounced fashion than cheaper ones, probably because they have higher dynamic range).

Izomiac said:
Clock:
Personally, I can't decide whether a clock would be desirable or not. With one the new handheld could essentially become a (lousy but acceptable?) PDA, especially with homebrew software. Without one you don't have to worry about having a separate watch battery for the clock and it might be cheaper to make. Not having a clock would also reinforce the handheld's role as a gaming device rather than a PDA.
It occurs to me that the big handheld gaming devices today do have real-time clocks, as they are needed for some games and can also bring other useful features to the device (such as alarms). It can also be most useful for some emulators.

Izomiac said:
Misc:
IMHO the new handheld should be powerful enough to play h264 video (DVD resolution) and emulate most PSX games to a playable level (sound and everything).
Subtitle and audio stream selection in the video player would be nice.
TV-out also shouldn't cut-off parts of the screen like how the GP2X does it.
Some devices create a bunch of folders and files on any SD card inserted. It's nice that the GP2X doesn't.
IIRC, both of the SoCs discussed as options for the new handheld feature hardware h264 accelleration, so that shouldn't be a problem. Considering how fast PSX is on the GP2X, I'd say it'll be no problem on the new handheld, especially as it has 3D accelleration to help offload some of the work from the main CPU.

Squidge said:
synkro said:
What ever it will be, it should NOT cost more than 180€.
I don't see that happening. I'm guessing about 200 - 230 euro.

As I don't know the target audience (us/we?) I can only guess here: But if it for this scene (and especially the hombrew handheld) then adding VAT and shipping make it still pricey for the kids (hopefully). Nonetheless I will shutup now and wait and see till this thing lifts off...

craigix said:
Who is 'we'?

Izomiac said:
Make it unbrickable:
That's my no. 1 feature request!

It'd be absolutely brilliant for writing instant-on games and high-performance emulators as well as reflashing and unbricking units.

jimid2 said:
You're talking an unknown machine from an unknown manufacturer aimed at a hobbiest market; hoping for mass-market penetration with this thing is dreaming in Technicolor, imho... <_<
I dunno, I think this could be pretty big simply because it's being developed by people who've got their finger on the pulse. They know what gamers want and they'll build their machine to that expectation, not a thick buzzword-laden document produced by a marketing department that's been padded out with corporate agenda. You can bet your arse that the controls will be really nice to use in real games!

Word of mouth is king nowadays. People hear about things via the internet, then they order them via the internet, and tell all their friends via the internet.

Yeah, this could be huge...

craigix said:
Then you'd better make sure that the controls are up to scratch before you start worrying about the other bolt-on toys that people are requesting. The product will live or die by the controls. I've sold an IPAQ because of this and a gp2x has been gathering dust since the week after I received it (nearly 2 years ago now) due to the absolutely lousy joystick :angry:

If you can crack the ergonomics with the new controller and offer a system that will handle all the old computer/console systems and games that we still love to play then I'd be one of the first in line to buy the new product.

thepope said:
craigix said:
Then you'd better make sure that the controls are up to scratch before you start worrying about the other bolt-on toys that people are requesting. The product will live or die by the controls. I've sold an IPAQ because of this and a gp2x has been gathering dust since the week after I received it (nearly 2 years ago now) due to the absolutely lousy joystick :angry:

If you can crack the ergonomics with the new controller and offer a system that will handle all the old computer/console systems and games that we still love to play then I'd be one of the first in line to buy the new product.

I didn't know His Holiness owned a GP2X!

Izomiac said:
The touchscreen protector:
I've always liked the GP2X screen protector, it's durable, cheap to replace, and it doesn't diminish screen quality. At the other end of the spectrum is the stock Palm Lifedrive screen protector. Think vinyl or "piece of tape". It's hard to attach (you always have air pockets underneath it), hard to remove, and makes the screen look like crap. But, it does protect the touchscreen from getting scratched by the stylus or other objects. For the new handheld, perhaps a flip-open screen protector (or the keyboard) could cover the screen when it's not in use. In any case, I'm not really sure how the screen protector can be done well, but it is kinda important.
Hmm, we don't need a additional Touchscreen Protector if the Screen is scratch-save. Today there are many available Materials and surface-sealing Methods where you can make Plastic as hard as glass. I'm sure this wouldn't cost the world so I hope the screen will have an glass-hard surface and only the stylus may be broken after a while but not the screen surface itself. :) And I hope, the Screen will be Anti-glare, sadly, today this high glare-displays are a real disease everywhere.

fusion_power said:
Hmm, we don't need a additional Touchscreen Protector if the Screen is scratch-save. Today there are many available Materials and surface-sealing Methods where you can make Plastic as hard as glass. I'm sure this wouldn't cost the world so I hope the screen will have an glass-hard surface and only the stylus may be broken after a while but not the screen surface itself. :) And I hope, the Screen will be Anti-glare, sadly, today this high glare-displays are a real disease everywhere.
The most common(ie, used in most PDAs and on the DS with exceptions such as the aforementioned iPhone), is a resistive touchscreen. This uses two thin polymer layers with conductive microswitched that make contact at the point the stylus presses down on. In order for this to work, the surface must be soft enough to allow the stylus point to bridge the two. The resistive touchscreen is used in small electronics because other methods which can use a solid surface need lots of extra electronics and a variety of sensors to work.

Infrared allows more solid surfaces but in the end, more bulky electronics(you need a scattered IR beam and a sensor network slightly above the screen itself.

Capacitive touchscreens can use solid surfaces as well but require human flesh or a conductive stylus held by human flesh to function. It also introduces lots of overhead due to the complex algorithms required to pinpoint where the person is touching. So: more cost.

All in all, their better off going with a resisitive touchscreen: it's older tech, can scratch easily, but works well enough. And you can get rigid screen protectors which will keep it protected(such as the HORI protectors for DS and PSP). The rigid protectors still allow sensitivity enough for the stylus while not being prone to bubble due to their rigidness during application.

My ideas for the new System. In descending order of plausability.

0. Touch screen, to compete with GPH's new unit.

1. Keyboard that hides inside the System, much like an SD card.

2. Detachable keyboard. Attached by a small cord, or an RF or IR link (in the wireless case it would be charged by the System).

3. Hardware battery indicator. This would be very useful. An analog meter would be AWESOME, but likely would not fit inside the System.

4. Real-time Clock. This has many uses. It could be powered by the System's internal battery when it is charged, and by a supercapacitor for a week when the System's battery discharges. Then it could be powered by a (replaceable)? lithium coin battery.

5. Serial port. This could be used to attach a terminal, or for those of us into more esoteric hobbies, a radioteletype encoder/decoder for amateur radio. Or many other things. It could use the normal DB-9 port, or it could use a little port and a cable if the System couldn't hold it.

6. Port for an external wireless antenna, for long-range Wi-fi.

7. Naming contest. My idea is: System. I'm sure that other people could come up with better ones.

8. Predictive typing software. This would reduce the tediousness of typing on the System's small keyboard.

9. Little digital clock. That would go along with 4.

10. Trackpoint. The little eraser-nub between the B, G, and H keys in some laptops. It's awesome.

11. A SIM card slot and a cellular modem for multi-cellular hypernet intercommunications.

12. Built-in WiMAX. This could be used for the same purpose as the above.

13. A steam engine with gears, for that steampunk look.

14. A matter/antimatter reactor, for lots of power.

15. Replicator/teleporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back