Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys... are you seated. gbax is selling boxed new gp32 blu units for 69.99 GBP inc. VAT. I just grabbed one.

I can't wait for the craiginator to come out. I think it will be the absolute uber-gadget. I can safely say that I have waited for something like this all my life from the point I owned my first computer.

Exophase said:
A_SN said:
The GP2X doesn't have proper wait for vsync? How's proper vsync waiting implemented then? (I take it it's without a while loop that looks up a register?). What does it have to do with underclocking anyways?
You can wait for vsync on GP2X, but it must be done like you said by polling a register in a while loop. The kind of wait for vsync that I'm referring to is handled by the OS in some form. The process is put to sleep until the vsync hits, and then during all of the idle time where no other processes are running the OS is free to halt the CPU until the next interrupt occurs. While in halted state the CPU will use almost no power, in other words it'll use roughly the optimal amount of power that it needs. It should actually be more power efficient this way than underclocking and you won't get screwed when you start playing the area that does need the extra power. This should work very well for a platform that will mostly be single threaded (hopefully...)

For a platform that has high available clock speeds it'd be great to clock it high then let the programs only use what they need. I'm not interested in playing underclocking games, it has some of the same shortcomings that fixed frameskip has vs. good auto frameskip.

But wait, what you say seems to imply that consuming half of the CPU cycles at 600 MHz is the same at using every single of them at 300 MHz, power consumption-wise. Is it really so? If so then it's great.

xnopasaranx said:
guys... are you seated. gbax is selling boxed new gp32 blu units for 69.99 GBP inc. VAT.
Wow! Are you trying to say that a nearly 7 year old console that is almost 2 generations ago is selling for a decent price compared to what the rest of the market offers?? Unbelievable!!

Last edited by a moderator:
xnopasaranx said:
guys... are you seated. gbax is selling boxed new gp32 blu units for 69.99 GBP inc. VAT. I just grabbed one.
They are also selling SNES flash cartridges. I've ordered one but they've forgotten to send the linker, just the cart itself so I've had to email them :(.

yeah I saw that they had a lot of flashcarts for different systems. I think it's really cool. Give them a break though, they just started again so I guess they have sort of a backlog.

@A_SN: Yes that's what I am saying. Rather then asking 300 Euros on ebay for a GP32 BLU... As they have become rare, that's a pretty good offer. So stop being needlessly sarcastic.

A_SN said:
But wait, what you say seems to imply that consuming half of the CPU cycles at 600 MHz is the same at using every single of them at 300 MHz, power consumption-wise. Is it really so? If so then it's great.
Should be similar, right? In GP2X people notice a fairly linear increase in power consumption with clock speed. If it uses almost no power in halt mode and it spends 50% of the time there then it should work out about the same.

Exophase said:
Should be similar, right? In GP2X people notice a fairly linear increase in power consumption with clock speed. If it uses almost no power in halt mode and it spends 50% of the time there then it should work out about the same.
I strongly doubt the CPU uses no power during idle cycles? I don't know for sure, I think it's less than when not idle, but I don't think it's anywhere near not draining any power..

PS : Yay! Frist psot on the 300th page for people who use the default settings! I r the best!!

lol... hey, he was typing as fast as he could trying to make the number 300. I understand.

Squidge said:
A_SN: Your frist psot claim doesn't count when you manage to spell both words incorrectly :D
It does when it's intentional ;) http://google.com/search?q=frist+psot

xnopasaranx said:
lol... hey, he was typing as fast as he could trying to make the number 300. I understand.
yeah, mainly when I typed this as a result of an edit. Seriously..

A_SN said:
Squidge said:
A_SN: Your frist psot claim doesn't count when you manage to spell both words incorrectly :D
It does when it's intentional ;) http://google.com/search?q=frist+psot

xnopasaranx said:
yeah, mainly when I typed this as a result of an edit. Seriously..

Oh right... missed that. I was trying to back you up though. Bah what the heck... if you win the tour de france on doping, you can still run off with the trophy right? Although you might be impotent after excessive use of steroids.

A_SN said:
Exophase said:
I strongly doubt the CPU uses no power during idle cycles? I don't know for sure, I think it's less than when not idle, but I don't think it's anywhere near not draining any power..

PS : Yay! Frist psot on the 300th page for people who use the default settings! I r the best!!

There is leakage, yes. How much it is depends on the processor design. I could not find measurements for Cortex-A8 specifically. It appears that in ARM designs the RAM remains powered, and the CPU is powered but all of the clocks are gated off except a wake up clock. The cache shouldn't be powered either.

As underclocking the CPU won't affect the RAM power consumption I imagine that the differences can't be that great. I would be surprised if the overall power consumption of the CPU was even 10% of the usual draw when in standby mode.

xnopasaranx said:
I can't wait for the craiginator to come out. I think it will be the absolute uber-gadget. I can safely say that I have waited for something like this all my life from the point I owned my first computer.
Same here I've never wanted a handheld before, I was witing until one had game controls to go with the power :)

javaJake said:
Patience. Now there's something I'd love to have more of right about now.
Glad it isn't (wasn't) just me, it is getting infectious ;)

Nobody had anything to say about DeadlyDads' post earlier? I didn't expect that even if it is unlikely.

Alex. said:
Well we should be hearing the good words sometime this week, right? :)
I'm hoping it's today, since they were firming the details yesterday. :D

zaffercharles said:
Nobody had anything to say about DeadlyDads' post earlier? I didn't expect that even if it is unlikely.
I totally missed it, I guess. Mind linking me? I don't want to waste precious patience on links right now. ;)

craigix said:
Yep should be sending them out in the morning. I'll explain why there was such a delay at the weekend.
Great, now some of my patience evaporated. XD

No, but hearing from you is great, craigix! Can't wait for the morning! Woohoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back