Release Otter browser

So, I finally nailed it, or enough to make it run.

For sometime now, I have this strange hidden dependancy with libnss_nis.so.2 and now, libnss_db.so.2 . The point is, thoses libs aren't really used (lsof doesn't show them mounted), but still, "something" is looking for those libs, and tend to crash (with mmunmap error) if the don't find them. So I package them...

Build 08

----------

• Fixed crash at launch

Thanks a lot for your work, ptitSeb! I just crashed my smartphone and am using a sony erricsson w810i as bluetooth modem for otter on my pandora now. This is really awesome! I like it way more than my old smartphone solution. Especially if I use mobile webpages instead of the big bloat ones. :D Even this board works better than with my smartphone browser. :ph34r:

For sometime now, I have this strange hidden dependancy with libnss_nis.so.2 and now, libnss_db.so.2 . The point is, thoses libs aren't really used (lsof doesn't show them mounted), but still, "something" is looking for those libs, and tend to crash (with mmunmap error) if the don't find them. So I package them...
I'm not so expert but looking at this page http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Services-in-the-NSS-configuration.html#Services-in-the-NSS-configuration

this libs are part of libc library, at least libc6, so maybe before we switched to the new libc (some months ago), we never had this dependancy.

I'm not so expert but looking at this page http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Services-in-the-NSS-configuration.html#Services-in-the-NSS-configuration

this libs are part of libc library, at least libc6, so maybe before we switched to the new libc (some months ago), we never had this dependancy.
If I remember correctly, we didn't switch to a newer libc (the GNU C library), but to a newer glibc (the gnome graphic lib). The point is, libnss_nis is not part of the firmware (but you can addipk it), and libnss_db is not even in libc anymore. They are otpionnal package, but somehow, there must be a bug in the plugin code causing some error in some specific case...

New build of Otter on the repo.
In fact I'm using it right now to upload and update to forum, as I'm not home for the week, and it's working fine :)

Build 09
----------

• Updated to latest sources

I have a crash to report. The log for it is as follows:

Code:
=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/PANDORA-SD1/pandora/apps/otter.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/PANDORA-SD1/pandora/appdata/otter
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/otter"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA-SD1/pandora/appdata/otter=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/otter=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/otter"
[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh  ) ----------
WSEGL_InitialiseDisplay: DRI2OpenConnection failed
Warning: Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed ((null):0, (null))
Debug: QNetworkReplyImpl::_q_startOperation was called more than once ((null):0, (null))
The program 'otter-browser' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadValue'.
  (Details: serial 879 error_code 2 request_code 139 minor_code 51)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
QT5 Base dir = /mnt/utmp/otter
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh  ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring nub mode ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Restoring nub mode ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/otter': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 10

A new weekly snapshot of it was made available today. Maybe the crash I posted about is fixed in it. Please make a port of it soon. Thanks in advance.

Hi all :)

@ptitSeb : I'm posting this with QupZilla, since your latest Otter release doesn't work :p

/mnt/utmp/otter/bin/otter-browser: error while loading shared libraries: libhunspell-1.3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Cheers, Magic Sam

Ah :( Thanks for the detail, I'll update quickly.
[doublepost=1458680240,1458676451][/doublepost]I have uploaded a fixed pnd.

Build 11
----------

• Fixed package (missing lib)

New build on the repo, with a fresh version of QT5.7 and QTWebKit 5.7

Build 12
----------

• Updated to latest sources
  • Updated QT to 5.7

Hi all,

@ptitSeb : I'm posting again from Qupzilla :p
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh ) ----------
Fatal: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. ((null):0, (null))
QT5 Base dir = /mnt/utmp/otter
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 528: 2815 Aborted "./$EXENAME" $ARGUMENTS "$@"

Cheers, Magic Sam

Damn :/ ...

@Magic Sam : can you try this version: otter.pnd (and also this PaleMoon version palemoon.pnd while your are at it :) ) to see if this one runs?

*EDIT* : link removed, both version are on the repo now.

Last edited:
Hi again,

@ptitSeb : if I understand correctly, there are two web backends available in Otter: QtWebKit (default) and QtWebEngine (Blink), is that correct ?

I set Backends / Web to qtwebengine in the Configuration Manager (about:config), but I couldn't see any differences.

Did you compile Otter with QtWebEngine support ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

@Magic Sam : yes you are right, but I disabled QtWebEngine, as it doesn't work on the Pandora (it WANTS gles2 output, but always fail to get it, either because drivers > 4.03 doesn't works with X11, or because it wants RGBA32 FrameBuffer, or will fail with some shader anyway...).

Back