Macbook And...

C

codeninja

The recently announced MacBook makes me wonder about two things because

1. Apple claimed that it runs 4 times faster than PowerBook.
How about all those claim of PowerPC being superior to x86 clock frequency to frequency? They've been lying, then?

2. Apparent super performance of OS X on Intel chip compared to WinXP.
I guess, money is not only thing that MS is hogging. Win Vista will be a worse resource hogger that will probably need a 3Ghz processor with 4GB memory to emulate what OS X does on much less powerful PCs. So MS really suck at making OS?

The recently announced MacBook makes me wonder about two things because

1. Apple claimed that it runs 4 times faster than PowerBook.
How about all those claim of PowerPC being superior to x86 clock frequency to frequency? They've been lying, then?
Pretty much, although these chips are dual-core (two processors) and somewhat more refined than your average x86.

2. Apparent super performance of OS X on Intel chip compared to WinXP.
I guess, money is not only thing that MS is hogging. Win Vista will be a worse resource hogger that will probably need a 3Ghz processor with 4GB memory to emulate what OS X does on much less powerful PCs. So MS really suck at making OS?
OS X has always ran faster on less hardware. Vista/Avalon is an attempt to emulate the graphical features on OS X, and copies are generally not perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Win Vista will be a worse resource hogger that will probably need a 3Ghz processor with 4GB memory to emulate what OS X does on much less powerful PCs. So MS really suck at making OS?
Microsoft will make an OS that works just now on the current hardware but better on future hardware because of the progress in moores law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... I've used PCs for 14 years now, and I switched to Macs a year ago.

I've never had to reformat and reload OS X, and it runs as fast now as when I got it. it's a 1.8Ghz G5 and it still runs faster than my Athlon 3000+ PC. And, yes, I know what I'm doing with PCs, I've been a desktop engineer in the past, so it aint slower cos of spyware, viruses, trojans, or bad configuration.

I still have no probs with PCs though - my mac still cant play the damn good games that my PC can :)

Back