Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows XP

• Windows Vista

• Other

• Total voters

I used 98se for years, then switched to XP the year it came out. I dabbled in various GNU/Linux distros over the years, but didnt know enough about unix to fully adopt it.

That said, due to Ubuntu 7.10, ive exclusively switched over to GNU/Linux. I would also argue that now that Ubuntu 8.04 has been released, its possible for even the laziest and/or stupidest person to make the migration without much hand holding. SHOULD everyone? no, but those that want to can now do it on their own. Is Ubuntu the best distro out there? no, but its an awesome starting point.

I hate OSX.

I have tried to use it for school, and I have concluded that they are utter trash.
no compatibility, controls like your mouse is stuck in a pile of shit and the GUI actually looks pretty bad..
then there is also the fact that it crashes often and when it does crash there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.
i choose vista over osx (I'm on XP right now, my laptop is using vista/kubuntu, office desktop running kubuntu)

To all those linux lovers, try getting Sopcast to run on the default Xandros on the eee pc!!!!! I know it is possible, but bugger me I couldn't do it, and nor could the vast majority of those who tried on the forums I was on! Then some smart arsed Linux expert would come on and blast us all as stoopid noobs because we couldn't understand the frankly ridiculously long winded way to get it to run!!!! I am sure that if you want to spend more time working ON your pc than WITH your pc then Linux FTW! But for those of us who just wanna see things running it's XP. Within minutes of having it on there, I was watching live cricket from India!

Linux is just so complicated. Sure, if you know what you are doing then you can do lots and be a happy chappy! But why does it have to be so hard?

XP can run fantastically. I spent a few days following forum advice and have streamlined my xp on the eee down to such a small install. Turned off all the services I never use and the thing just flies. Boots up in seconds and doesn't bloat at all.

Vista, tried it but my laptop wasn't powerful enough for all those bells and whistles.

I have played with my GF's OS X macbook, to me it seems restrictive. But she loves it. So here is the moral...

If you are a normal person-XP! You can work and play without needing a science degree.
If you are a girl-OS X. It just looks nice.
If you are a nerd, aging hippy or just feel that men with beards and glasses, those who listen to 'the Floyd', think Jeff Minter should be prime minister and only drink beers called 'Old Bastard', plan on dying a virgin and think that socks and shorts look sexy-linux.

Can we close this topic now?

AireTamStorm said:
Dunny said:
My copy of Vista Home Premium is clocking 660mb used (of 2gb installed), with Firefox taking up nearly 200mb of that. Also running Delphi, ZXSpin, mIRC. This is with all of Vista's bells and whistles up and running (full aero, animated desktop wallpaper, sidebar with gadets running etc).
Are you on an OEM machine or did you build / setup your own box?

OEM - Samsung R600+

Another issue I'd like to see addressed is the anti-Firefox default browser lock. The moz team get around that yet?

What's this then? I installed Firefox, and I've not had any warnings that my browser isn't IE or anything?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
lubidog said:
To all those linux lovers, try getting Sopcast to run on the default Xandros on the eee pc!!!!! I know it is possible, but bugger me I couldn't do it, and nor could the vast majority of those who tried on the forums I was on! Then some smart arsed Linux expert would come on and blast us all as stoopid noobs because we couldn't understand the frankly ridiculously long winded way to get it to run!!!! I am sure that if you want to spend more time working ON your pc than WITH your pc then Linux FTW! But for those of us who just wanna see things running it's XP. Within minutes of having it on there, I was watching live cricket from India!

Linux is just so complicated. Sure, if you know what you are doing then you can do lots and be a happy chappy! But why does it have to be so hard?
<blah blah blah>
If you are a nerd, aging hippy or just feel that men with beards and glasses, those who listen to 'the Floyd', think Jeff Minter should be prime minister and only drink beers called 'Old Bastard', plan on dying a virgin and think that socks and shorts look sexy-linux.
I can't defend Xandros because I've never used it, but if there's a .deb for Sopcast then it should be really simple. Otherwise, it isn't Linux's fault - it's the fault of the Sopcast developer. It isn't difficult to maintain a package, and doing so makes the installation easier than on Windows. That Linux is inherently more complicated than Windows is a myth; you can use Linux without knowing what a kernel is. Most people who use Linux find day-to-day usage no more complex than on Windows. I know I do. Sure, it might need some faffing about to get all your hardware working (although I didn't have this problem), but the same goes for Windows.

And Linux is used by a lot of film companies, large businesses on their desktops, governments and educational facilities. Not just Richard Stallman.

AireTamStorm said:
Squidge said:
Well, with the original posters consent, I'm sure I could add "AmigaOS", as it was my favourite too :)
You've got my blessing.

You could replace VMS as it seems there's no real awareness on it, too ^_^

Done :)

Arguing about OSs is a mug's game. It's like arguing about your favourite colour.

Anyway, noone's mentioned the best OS ever - RISCOS :)

Squidge said:
AireTamStorm said:
Squidge said:
Well, with the original posters consent, I'm sure I could add "AmigaOS", as it was my favourite too :)
You've got my blessing.

You could replace VMS as it seems there's no real awareness on it, too ^_^

Done :)

ive taken part now

purple_goat said:
I hate OSX.
[snip] the fact that it crashes often and when it does crash there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.
I don't understand what you mean by that?

CongoZombie said:
purple_goat said:
I hate OSX.
[snip] the fact that it crashes often and when it does crash there isnt a damn thing you can do about it.
I don't understand what you mean by that?

Maybe he means the typical Mac error messages, such as "an error occured because an error occured" or "system error -456". Just compare them with typical windows error messages, such as "Cannot delete x: There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, then try again." :D

There's just no comparison ;)

I hate all Windows OS! They annoy me to heck with their bloated crap. Applications are clogging up the registry, leave dlls behind noone knows, destroy any kind of order on the system. That darn search mascot doggie under XP or the paperclip of Office... who the hell wants something like that jumping around their screen when they are trying to work? I can see that children might be amazed by stuff like this but unless I am playing a game, I don't want stuff like that to distract and annoy me. Windows XP I hated the most, haven't tried vista yet but from what I hear it's even worse in certain things. XP always catches virii. I don't know how they managed to open so many security holes but they apparently did a good job at that ^^. Back when I was running windows XP on a regular basis, I had virusscanners galore running all the time because with every damn thing you could get yourself infected with crappy adware, spyware or whatever. Also I hate microsofts customer policy. How they treat the people that made them filthy rich goes beyond my understanding. Have a look at apple! They pull off a nice job with some quality hardware and software, aswell as a decent customer service. I know, apple has a lot of things to improve on aswell... still they would more attractive to me then MS if I wasn't using linux.

A while ago I got absolutely fed up with all the MS crap. I wasn't gaming on the computer anymore and so I figured I could completely switch my OS. A friend and I started out with SUSE about 5 years ago, both at the same time so we could learn the basics together. Slowly but steadily we stopped using windows at all. Today I am running Ubuntu on all my computers and I am proud to be doing so. Yes, there is not as much fancy crap coming with it but at least it works! All the people complaining about incompleteness or incompatibility are right: It isn't complete and it will never be, linux grows on it's community and will be under constant development. Just as I like it to be, security holes get fixed right away! Incompatibility of hardware and software: I don't want crappy software that costs loads of money but which I can get free and open source with more features under linux anyway. I don't want shitty hardware I do not need of companies who won't give out information for people to develop drivers or who will develop only limited and crappy drivers anyways. Stay away from me with nazi shit like that!!!

No virii, no crashes, no annoyances, no commercials when I start my ICQ client ^^, no BS! Okay, so I do have to open my shell sometimes to fix some configuration script or to compile some binary but at least I can do this myself and I know where all the vital information is stored. No more hiding of crucial system configurations, no more blind consumption.

I don't care if people want to be using windows. I won't!

lubidog said:
In most cases, it isn't difficult, just different. Often times it is easier to install a Linux package than a Windows installer.

Some people think that mingling with the command line is difficult, but I suppose most of you don't remember DOS word processors or the like. Its easier for me to open a command line and just get something done rather than hunt down some button or option on a GUI that may or may not fix my problem. That being said, there are plenty of GUI interfaces for configuring Linux nowadays. Again, its different. You don't like it, you don't have to use it.

Seeing what the problem is when you get problems helps too. Oh man, the nVIDIA driver crashed XP again. I wonder what happened? Giving me a generic error before freezing, or even worse, giving no error at all and just puking up its guts everywhere. Linux, theres a system log. Oh, I guess it just hates that IRQ when ACPI is enabled in the kernel. I'll set that straight right away.

If nothing else, you've got an error message that you can pop up on Linux support forums and get a relatively quick and easy answer to your problem. However, often it doesn't involve clicking your mouse away, it involves typing in commands and giving them feedback. The command line is more powerful than any GUI, and the people you are asking questions to are in their element there. But again, it is worlds apart from what you are used to using. Not necessarily harder or easier, just different.

lubidog said:
I am sure that if you want to spend more time working ON your pc than WITH your pc then Linux FTW!
I sit down at my OpenSuSE desktop and surf, play music, code. The majority of time spent is using it. I don't have to run anti-spyware programs, no antivirus, hell I even turned off the firewall. I'm on a fast internet connection with plenty of ports open to warrant an attack. Yet I spent more time cleaning spyware off of windows boxes than ever working on any kind of Linux problems. Both require a level of maintenance.

lubidog said:
What are you trying to say? I really have no idea.

Anyway, it just depends on your needs.

AireTamStorm said:
lubidog said:
In most cases, it isn't difficult, just different. Often times it is easier to install a Linux package than a Windows installer.

Some people think that mingling with the command line is difficult, but I suppose most of you don't remember DOS word processors or the like. Its easier for me to open a command line and just get something done rather than hunt down some button or option on a GUI that may or may not fix my problem. That being said, there are plenty of GUI interfaces for configuring Linux nowadays. Again, its different. You don't like it, you don't have to use it.

Seeing what the problem is when you get problems helps too. Oh man, the nVIDIA driver crashed XP again. I wonder what happened? Giving me a generic error before freezing, or even worse, giving no error at all and just puking up its guts everywhere. Linux, theres a system log. Oh, I guess it just hates that IRQ when ACPI is enabled in the kernel. I'll set that straight right away.

If nothing else, you've got an error message that you can pop up on Linux support forums and get a relatively quick and easy answer to your problem. However, often it doesn't involve clicking your mouse away, it involves typing in commands and giving them feedback. The command line is more powerful than any GUI, and the people you are asking questions to are in their element there. But again, it is worlds apart from what you are used to using. Not necessarily harder or easier, just different.

lubidog said:
I am sure that if you want to spend more time working ON your pc than WITH your pc then Linux FTW!
I sit down at my OpenSuSE desktop and surf, play music, code. The majority of time spent is using it. I don't have to run anti-spyware programs, no antivirus, hell I even turned off the firewall. I'm on a fast internet connection with plenty of ports open to warrant an attack. Yet I spent more time cleaning spyware off of windows boxes than ever working on any kind of Linux problems. Both require a level of maintenance.

lubidog said:
What are you trying to say? I really have no idea.

Anyway, it just depends on your needs.

I consider my argument won!

lubidog said:
Feel free to, it's quite clear we won't convince you otherwise. It won't change the fact that you haven't won anything.

nickspoon said:
lubidog said:
Feel free to, it's quite clear we won't convince you otherwise. It won't change the fact that you haven't won anything.

Oh yeah?

xnopasaranx said:
I hate all Windows OS! They annoy me to heck with their bloated crap.
<snip>
I don't care if people want to be using windows. I won't!
hehe funny :D, and very true.

I don't want to, but there are 2 reasons I still use windows. 1. work 2. visual pinball

I use Windows XP - without any of the service packs, firewalls, anti-virus, or anti-spyware programs, and it's been running fast and stable on my Pentium 3 with 128MB RAM laptop for more than a year. When I'll get a new system I'll definitely install a Linux distribution on it, likely Kubuntu, but until then I'm happy with what I have, no complaints whatsoever. Unfortunately even the lighter-weight modern Linux distributions like Xubuntu need at least 192-256MB to install and run well, so for the present time they're out of the question for me :)

Back