[Original Game] Microbes!

Grabbed it, not tried for now.

The previous one didn't launch under Slack, log reported fonts not found.

Are you sure the ln -s link you gave me worked for you ?

Uh dunno, haven't tried Microbes in Slack yet (I noticed the problem with sysinfo, they use the same fonts though iirc).

The following fonts are assumed to exist, and those filenames are just hardcoded in Microbes:

Code:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/LiberationSans-Regular.ttf
Code:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/LiberationSans-Bold.ttf

My bad, i haven't made those links, thought so, i have to check my build system.

-EDIT: i made them in the BS, maybe after the last rootfs generation. Will check soon.

Played it a bit, much more fun than the classic TD. Stuck at the poison slow ^^.

Last edited by a moderator:
New features in rc4:

• Quick-build shortcuts: If you press B and hold it, you can quickly build advanced units by pressing a dpad combination: e.g. hold B, press up, up, up, up, release B and you'll get a Basophil.
  • Dpad repeat: If you hold a dpad direction for a while, it will auto-repeat.
  • Quick level editing: In the level editor you can hold Y or X while moving the dpad or left nub to quickly "paint" or "erase" tiles.

Please let me know what you think about the quick-build shortcuts. This is a feature for advanced players to be able to build advanced units faster. You don't need it at all to play the game, but it can be useful if you're playing in realtime mode in Insane difficulty. As it is now, "up" selects the first unit in the build menu, "down" selects the last one, "left" selects the second one, and "right" selects the penultimate one. So if there are 4 options, 1=up, 2=left, 3=right, 4=down. If there are 3 options, 1=up, 2=left or right, 3=down. If there are 2 options, 1=up or right, 2=down or left. If there is only 1 option, any direction selects it.

The alternative, suggested by Christoph.Krn, is to make each direction correspond to a slot in the build menu, so up=1, left=2, right=3, down=4. If there are less than 4 options, some of the dpad buttons simply don't do anything. This is probably more intuitive, but it doesn't allow you to do things like hold B, press right 4 times, release B to quickly build the most advanced obstacle.

I'm not sure which way is the best way. Please give me feedback!

Keyboard-assignable shortcuts should also be a must.
Any suggestion on how to assign keyboard shortcuts to units? I assume you mean something like "N" to instant-build a Neutrophil, and I assume you want user-configurable shortcuts?

I like the idea, but I'm not sure how to do it. Manually editing a config file is not a good idea, and adding a big submenu under "options" also doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe something like this: every letter key (except S and P, since those are already taken) can be assigned to a unit. If the cursor selects a tile with a unit on it, and you press a letter key, then the shortcut for that unit becomes that key. If you press a letter key on an empty tile, it builds the corresponding unit. Would that work?

OK, I'm going to add this as a new feature:

• Customizable keyboard shortcuts: If you press a letter key (a-z, except s,c,p which are already taken) while a unit is selected, that letter key becomes a shortcut to build that unit type. If you press that key again while an empty tile is selected, it will build the unit. To change a shortcut, press the existing shortcut key for the unit while the unit is selected (this will remove the existing shortcut), then press a new shortcut key (as explained before). The shortcuts are shown in the help screen, as well as in the unit description when a unit is selected.
@dummi: do you still get the crashes? About the tutorial levels with explanations: I see what you mean, but it's quite a bit of work to add that, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea - I usually don't like such tutorials. I think it's better to be "thrown in" immediately, but with a reduced set of units and enemies to keep it simple at first, and gradually adding more and more stuff. As you can see in the latest test version, there is now one tutorial level pack and three "Microbes" level packs. In each of these level packs, I'm going to "unlock" the units and enemies gradually. Perhaps (if I have time for it), I'll also make some extra help screens that give some tactical advice on how to use the new units and what the properties of the new enemies are, which will be shown when you unlock them and will be available for later reference in the help menu.

@b_o_b: I'll try to come up with some mechanism to select where the waves are coming from.

For the tutorials: The hint or help screen should be shown in the beginning of each mission, where new units become available.

It happens to me, that I realized very late in a game that I can upgrade some of my buildings to a further level.

The crash: it didn't happend again, but i didn't played this level lately.

But anyway: cool game, very addictiv and challenging.

Last edited by a moderator:
@b_o_b: I'll try to come up with some mechanism to select where the waves are coming from.
Nice, want to send my final levelset this weekend (not much time though, so they not change a lot from my previous set..).

Just thought about your tutorial levels where you reduce the selection of units. Is this also possible for selfmade levels?  

Nice, want to send my final levelset this weekend (not much time though, so they not change a lot from my previous set..).

Just thought about your tutorial levels where you reduce the selection of units. Is this also possible for selfmade levels?  
Yes, you just have to change "data/techtree.dat" in the level file to a filename corresponding to a different file.

You can also select one of the tutorial levels as a starting point for the level editor, and then it'll automatically have the same reduced techtree.

I implemented custom wave source settings, I'll try to release a new snapshot this weekend.

Yes, you just have to change "data/techtree.dat" in the level file to a filename corresponding to a different file.

You can also select one of the tutorial levels as a starting point for the level editor, and then it'll automatically have the same reduced techtree.

I implemented custom wave source settings, I'll try to release a new snapshot this weekend.
Level editor is great to create levels fast, but it is good to know there is some more flexibility when you are willing to adjust the config files. 

BTW I really like the auto build and move function :) If possible, and it is just a variable update and not too much work, I wouldn't mind if the speed became a bit higher and response time would be a bit faster. 

The auto-repeat will be faster. Next release will be delayed a few days, my girlfriend is ill and I have to take care of both her and our daughter, so no time for coding (typing this while feeding  my baby daughter a bottle of milk).

The auto-repeat will be faster. Next release will be delayed a few days, my girlfriend is ill and I have to take care of both her and our daughter, so no time for coding (typing this while feeding  my baby daughter a bottle of milk).
No problem, imo the game is already polished enough and it seems you have got your main priorities covered :)

I have made the unlocking of units more smooth (it used to be a reduced set in the tutorial, and after that immediately the full set; now it is more gradual). When new microbes appear or new units are unlocked, you get one or more "Briefing" help screens, which give some advice about the new things. Here's an example:

screenshot5.jpg

If all goes well, I'll upload another release candidate later today. I'll probably upload it to the repo, for your convenience and to (hopefully) get some more playtesting.

In terms of features, this will most likely be it for the compo release. The only changes for the final two weeks will most likely just be bugfixes and some tweaking of my own level packs, and integrating any additional level packs by others (I already got a nice level pack from b_o_ B) .

No real issues. One crash after editing, but not during gameplay or before saving a level so didn't bother me. Auto-repeat is now very good and makes creating new levels very easy and fast and it is also very useful during gameplay. I see you are preparing the select waves from infected areas feature (numbering), but based on above I assume you will not implement this yet? 

Would be nice to see more level packs before or after the compo. Building new levels have never been easier and more convenient than with this build.   

Back