More to come in the next few days.

And another invader:

anim_1e0cd9c1-000c-3ca4-fd05-b1165e71026c.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
And a question:

Like in the classic spaceinvaders game we want to have shields, that protect you from some shots until they vanish.

Those should be available via powerups. The question is: if you choose to use a shield, should it fly on top of your vehicle until it gets hit 3 times and make you basically invoulnerable for this period of time or should it stay in the spot where you set it and don't move with your tank?

Let us hear yout preference.

maybe both? an energy force field that follows chip and a phisical solid shield that pops over, maybe the one that pops over starts like an energy shield and solidifies (like ice) after a few seconds, so it gives you time to position it. (the more powerups, the better... ;) )

[...] if you choose to use a shield, should it fly on top of your vehicle until it gets hit 3 times [...] or should it stay in the spot where you set it and don't move with your tank?
Let us hear yout preference.
There is no preference (except that some people might find the one cooler, and some the other), it depends on what other game mechanics there are.

For instance, if, say, you make the game so that the enemies try to shoot at the point where the placer's ship is currently located, and assuming that ship can be moved horizontally on the bottom of the screen just like in Space Invaders, you could scatter some shield spawners along the bottom line of the screen that need to be hit by enemy shots several times within a certain time span in order for them to spawn a shield above them or something like that.

On the other hand, if the enemies are shooting rather randomly-ish, it might be better to, for instance, have a shield that moves with the player's ship but is much slower than it.

There's really more than just the two extremes, and it's better not to focus primarily on which may be cooler or more sensational or more 'superficially' fun, but to focus on what kinds of decisions and gaming elements make the game worthwhile, for instance by giving the player a sense of accomplishment. In that sense, a shield powerup that's difficult to use can be *more* fun that one that temporarily makes the player completely invulnerable, by giving a sense of mastery to the players that are willing to learn to use it. Then, the trick is how to make that learning process itself fun, which in turn can lead to a fuller gaming experience for most players if done right.

Well, at least that's what I'd say. I'm not a professional game developer, and it's been quite a while since the last time that I've been making a videogame. This post may contain traces of nuts, make you go nuts, or may be nuts so important after all.

Thanks for the input. I think a shield that you can set stationary would be good for this, that is hone after it gets hit 3 times. And another powerup maybe that creates a shield around you, which gives you a shield that is circeling around you and makes you invoulnerable for a short timeperiod, no matter how often you get hit in this period.

The graphical style should resemble the old arcadecabinets with their pixelgraphics on the screen with drawn backgrounds and bezels.

Just imagine the invadergraphics on the background I posted.

The original spaceinvaders did a pretty nice trick with the mirrored screen onto the drawn background what gave it color in some cabinets.

I love these tricks.

And another invader:

invader2_32_1.gifinvader2_32_1.gifinvader2_32_1.gifinvader2_32_1.gifinvader2_32_1.gif

Thanks, now for the graphics for today:

The Plasmacannon:

plasma_shot.gif

cannon_plasma_32.gif

I'm very tempted to throw something together in MOAI using this artwork ..

Next up:

The machinegun

machinegun_shot.gif

machinegun_32.gif

Back