Openpandora Vs Gamepark Holdings Wiz

The price is only a factor if you´re poor.
And if you consider the price/performance ratio, the Pandora is actually cheaper.

(Note: I, as a student, am kinda poor. However lots of people on here aren´t.)

I think they will both be awesome consoles. It just depends on what you are looking for in a device. If you are not going to use all the "extras" the Pandora has then get the wiz. If you need more power and are going to use stuff like blue tooth and wifi and do a bit more then gaming the pandora is for you. (money is also a factor, $330 is a lot to spend on a hand held console)

ok, its decided. its a wiz for me. i probably won't use the features that make the pandora so wonderful (except wifi, but thats why we have laptops).

(okay, its because of the price. no one seems to want a ds or psp :( )

thanks guys,
vapour

quasist said:
nubie said:
but you still won't have the screen or the battery life or the protective clamshell, or the processing power and 3D hardware
Your post means that Nintendo DS have no 3D hardware too? :p

Well, I thought we were talking the Wiz ;)

But for the record the DS 3D hardware doesn't really enter into it, the low color depth, limited ram, and nearly useless resolution for ports and emulators is just too much for me to stand. I guess I heard that NFS underground was using the 3D hardware to look pretty, but I gag when I see pimped Sh*t, so I haven't been playing NFS lately. Plus not being able to see the road is kind of a negative in my book, so dark streets with flashing neon isn't really my thing.

If you are honest and look at what you need then maybe a Wiz is the right choice for you, but if you start getting addons for it and realize you have surpassed the Pandora in price and size, but without reaching the same level of functionality, then you made the wrong choice.

Personally the BeagleBoard looks like a better fit for me :), It is only $150 and has all the power of the Pandora. Plus I can hook it to my LCD monitor or an HDTV :). It has USB and an SD slot, it looks great. (No Wifi/BT/Keyboard/screen/li-ion battery, but who the heck cares? :p )

If I am going to make a 7" screen portable it makes a lot of sense to start with a beagleboard. (although I could just use a wireless screen and controller to make a head-unit for my PC, then I could play my PC or full consoles anywhere within range of the signal :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
but if you start getting addons for it and realize you have surpassed the Pandora in price and size, but without reaching the same level of functionality, then you made the wrong choice
Hopefully only addons I surely will need for WIZ is a games :)

quasist said:
There will not be much games of pissdora (except emulated ones, old ports and Q3). Will you dev for 3000 spartians? (most efficent to let them die in the name of opensource) Pandora is done by distributers who prefer word "profit" instead of "gaming"

GPH did right to make Wiz homebrew-orientited. This is surely will be best gaming handheld.(even if some snake already have distorted it)
What the hell are you talking about?

And what have you been drinking? Answer me. NOW. Then send me a case for New Years.

I can't beleve that people bicker on about this so much!

>sry i mean like a os with a cursor and desktop and taskar and stuff : )

Oh lol.

>There will not be much games of pissdora (except emulated ones, old ports and Q3). Will you dev for 3000 spartians? (most efficent to let them die in the name of opensource) Pandora is done by distributers who prefer word "profit" instead of "gaming"

GPH did right to make Wiz homebrew-orientited. This is surely will be best gaming handheld.(even if some snake already have distorted it)

Are you joking, right?

>I share your hatred for the Pandora and its users,

Why?

As I see:
1. It is a GP2X section of forum so GP2X should be protected here
2. potential pandora users are taking User Interface as a OS...
3. some potential pandora users do not know how to use forum quote feature
4. some potential pandora users asks me for drugs
5. me drink regular tea with honey (crafted by regular bees!)

By saing "potential users" I mean that pandora will not be released. Planes will crash, trains will be blown, factories burn, developers will become lepered ... just to protect world from some whore-named handheld device.

quasist said:
As I see:

By saing "potential users" I mean that pandora will not be released. Planes will crash, trains will be blown, factories burn, developers will become lepered ... just to protect world from some whore-named handheld device.

If the Not being able to quote one is me.

I'm just used to using >

That's all. (Been around longer then you too ;))

quasist, either start backing up your posts with facts, or expect to receive a free holiday for your constant gibberish and trolling posts.

quasist said:
As I see:

WoW. Paranoid Schizophrenic. >_>

If all you want to do is play some emulated 8-32bit games, some homebrew and play media files, the Pandora is overkill.

If you want a hybrid UMPC/handheld gaming and development platform, then Pandora is probably your beast.

I just want to play a few emulated games and listen to MP3s on the bus to work. Wiz (or even GP2X) will do fine.

coldfis said:
If all you want to do is play some emulated 8-32bit games, some homebrew and play media files, the Pandora is overkill.

If you want a hybrid UMPC/handheld gaming and development platform, then Pandora is probably your beast.

I just want to play a few emulated games and listen to MP3s on the bus to work. Wiz (or even GP2X) will do fine.
Not the GP2X for MP3. Battery life is HORRIBLE!

quasist said:
There will not be much games of pissdora (except emulated ones, old ports and Q3). Will you dev for 3000 spartians? (most efficent to let them die in the name of opensource) Pandora is done by distributers who prefer word "profit" instead of "gaming"

This is certainly an odd thread. I think its just talking nonsense for the sake of it. As far as I understand it, the Gp2x and Wiz developers know how to develop a decent handheld, but dont really understand gamers and what they want too well. This shows by originally developing the Wiz with 2 dpads, i mean come on.

The Pandora has been developed from the start BY gamers through the process of listening to the gaming community and trying to incorporate all the feedback they get into the ideal handheld. That doesnt sound like the tactic of profiteers to me, it just sounds bloody sensible.

fade said:
This is certainly an odd thread. I think its just talking nonsense for the sake of it. As far as I understand it, the Gp2x and Wiz developers know how to develop a decent handheld, but dont really understand gamers and what they want too well. This shows by originally developing the Wiz with 2 dpads, i mean come on.
By your words, all gamers on the world share the same will.
Second Dpad (separated now) is don't liked mostly by old gamers who got used to gamepad round buttons and arcade machines. There so many posts about that just because most of users here is some sort of console veterans.
fade said:
The Pandora has been developed from the start BY gamers through the process of listening to the gaming community and trying to incorporate all the feedback they get into the ideal handheld. That doesnt sound like the tactic of profiteers to me, it just sounds bloody sensible.
For instace, what about topics "pandora with no keyboard" and "pandora with no gaming contols" and e.t.c.? (did all of ideas been "incorporated"?) All these end alike "...you can sold another pair of L-R buttons yourself...".
"Tactic of profiters" - for example, they can easily lie that R&D of pandora was costy.

And most of gamers usualy want GAMES for existing hardware.

coldfis said:
Well, for my part, that's all I want. However, the screen on the Wiz is too small. OLED is no bother to me, and I'd prefer a decent screen resolution. I'd like a clamshell so my screen doesn't get scratched up, I'd like analogue controls so the games I play aren't restricted to just simple U/D/L/R and combinations thereof. I'm not overly fussed about a keyboard.

I'm not getting a Wiz purely because of the almighty fuckup that GPH made with both revisions of the GP2X. I have absolutely no faith that they will get this one right. On the other hand, I trust Craig implicitly - I've been a customer of his since back in the days of the first generation GBA (and prior to that when he was cdworld), and I've never been let down by him or his company yet.

To that end, I'm going for the Panda - even though all I want to do could be accomplished by the Wiz.

D.

quasist said:
Second Dpad (separated now) is don't liked mostly by old gamers who got used to gamepad round buttons and arcade machines. There so many posts about that just because most of users here is some sort of console veterans.
No, I think it's more that you can't hold more than two buttons down at a time with a D-Pad-style input. Even more restrictive, you can't hold two buttons down at a time that aren't RIGHT next to one another. It's divided into separate buttons on all those "console veteran's" controllers for a reason.

quasist said:
And most of gamers usualy want GAMES for existing hardware.
Are you talking about the fact that GPH paid developers to make software for the Wiz? The Pandora is a community driven piece of hardware. There will be plenty of homebrew projects started as soon as all the folks who ordered one get one. Not only that, but there's a dev fund set up, which should encourage homebrew developers to do more; more than can be said for GPH.

Honestly, I'm with Dunny. I've had a GP2X f-100 since it was launched, and I 'upgraded' to the f-200 as soon as I could, and nothing was fixed. A whole slew of new options were available with the upgrade, but each new 'feature' was broken in some way. And in the process, it broke compatibility, and we had FLU+ BLU+ style incompatibilities as a result.

GPH had their chance, and even though I'd love to support every open source gaming project in existence, I've been bitten by them more than a few times. One tends to learn from his mistakes.

Rayek said:
quasist said:
No, I think it's more that you can't hold more than two buttons down at a time with a D-Pad-style input. Even more restrictive, you can't hold two buttons down at a time that aren't RIGHT next to one another. It's divided into separate buttons on all those "console veteran's" controllers for a reason.

That was the original problem with the controls, but what quasist was talking about was about the new separated pentagon-shaped buttons. There already have been some that complained that they prefer round buttons instead.

Back