Openjazz32

A600

Certified Guru
OpenJazz32

OpenJazz is the free, open-source re-implementation of the classic Jazz Jackrabbit(tm) game engine.
OpenJazz is currently pre-alpha, but is still playable.

Copy the Jazz Jackrabbit files to gpmm/jazz

There is no sound fx because OpenJazz doesn't support them and if you want music,
convert all .psm files to .s3m with Chronos Module Converter 1.01 and copy them to gpmm/jazz

This GP32 port, runs fullscreen at 133 Mhz.

CONTROLS

[Pad] Movement
Shoot - Select Menu Option
[A] Jump - Select Menu Option
[SELECT] Change weapon - Select Menu Option
[START] Escape

OpenJazz Homepage: http://treacle.hewwo.com/jazz/oj/index.html

OpenJazz32

Sourcecode

Chronos Module Converter

jazz.jpg

Cool, but it's still not very playable with the full version... I'll try the shareware to see if there's any difference.

Keep up the good work, A600!

Cool, but it's still not very playable with the full version... I'll try the shareware to see if there's any difference.

What do you mean by not very playable? I've tried the full version and it's working pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Batman! Another kickass release by A600! It turns out I had the full version of Jazz on an old compilation CD, so I put it on my 32, and it runs crazy-smooth. Thank you very much A600, you're keeping the GP32 alive!

Btw, for some reason this game reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog :-/

What do you mean by not very playable? I've tried the full version and it's working pretty well.
it's working pretty good indeed, but the feeling isn't so good yet, it's a very good start however :), can't wait to see this improove :)

i just played the first level a bit, and the jumping seems a bit wrong atm, is very fast, with weird physics, and bad control in the air, haven't played the original in a while (i admit :p), but it doesn't seem right ^^

btw, is their any chance of jj2 ever getting ported? since it has a level editor that would be AWESOME

i just played the first level a bit, and the jumping seems a bit wrong atm, is very fast, with weird physics, and bad control in the air, haven't played the original in a while (i admit :p), but it doesn't seem right ^^

Blame the original author :) The GP32 version is exactly like the Windows version but with better music.

As stated on his webpage, OpenJazz is currently pre-alpha, but is still playable so has many bugs. As soon as a new version appears, I'll update the port.

Blame the original author :) The GP32 version is exactly like the Windows version but with better music.

As stated on his webpage, OpenJazz is currently pre-alpha, but is still playable so has many bugs. As soon as a new version appears, I'll update the port.
the original author, being epic, or the maker of openjazz? ^^

In both openjazz for the GP32 and the GP2X there is a problem in the first level of the full game. There is a part where Jazz has to jump up using 'springs' and he can't jump high enough to reach higher ground so you can't finish the level. With openjazz on the pc (Windows) I could use the jump button in the air so Jazz would go a little higher and could reach it.

In Jazz Jackrabbit without openjazz the springs just send you up high enough, you don't need an extra jump. There is supposed to be a platform to walk on in that area but it isn't there in openjazz (pc,gp32 or gp2x) and that's why you fall down in that area in the first place.

In both openjazz for the GP32 and the GP2X there is a problem in the first level of the full game. There is a part where Jazz has to jump up using 'springs' and he can't jump high enough to reach higher ground so you can't finish the level. With openjazz on the pc (Windows) I could use the jump button in the air so Jazz would go a little higher and could reach it.

I've tried openjazz for windows (one compiled by me and also the version available on the webpage) and I can't use the jump button in the air like you said :blink:

@raven: try this version I compiled for Windows and tell me if you can jump.

Files must be copied to /jazz subdir.
LCTRL: jump
LALT: fire
SPACE: change weapon
RETURN: escape

@raven: try this version I compiled for Windows and tell me if you can jump.

Files must be copied to /jazz subdir.
LCTRL: jump
LALT: fire
SPACE: change weapon
RETURN: escape
No I can't. I can make it to the ledge though if I jump right next to the edge. Not that it helped very much, I fell into a a hole of blue nothingness just a little further :(

Edit: in the pc version Jazz jumps higher than on the GP32 and GP2X so even without my 'magic airjump powers' I can make it up the ledge.

Edit again: I retried and this time I couldn't do the airjump once in that area but a little bit further back (the first time you 'fall') I could jump back up to the higher level which should be impossible too. I jumped against the wall, jumped again and he just sort of flew up against the wall. I guess it's just bugs in openjazz that cause these magic moves.

Great port! I love that game! :D

Why is you port so dam fast (fullspeed at 133mhz) but my GP2x i have to overclock to 270Mhz to run it smooth!? :blink:

A600, it's what Racemaniac said which is what I meant with "not very playable". I can't get through the first level because of all the bugs, but I'm also aware of that this is not at all your fault; neither would I blame the original author; afterall, this is a pre-alpha version ;)

It truely is awesome to be close to being able to play one of my favourite games of all time on my favourite console of all time. Keep up the good work! :D

Back