Release Openjazz Update

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I updated the openjazz pnd with the latest svn source, and these awesome changes have occured since the last release (theres also been a good amount of work in the svn since the last release:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,55

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 levels1/7/'10 I'm pleased to announce that I've just added support for Jazz Jackrabbit 2™ level files. Select "specific level" from the episode list, and you can now type in the name of any level you want. Support is very limited at the moment, but there's more to come.

As you make your way from the launch of the program to the end of a level, you'll notice a bunch of other new features:
  • The first change you'll see is Jazz blinking during the introductory cutscene, thanks to AnotherGuest. Other cutscenes have also improved.
  • Next, you'll see that the main menu now has a plasma-y background effect, thanks to Alireza Nejati.
  • When you load up a level, you'll be greeted by a planetary approach sequence.
  • In-game, you'll find that animations are now positioned more accurately. Bad guys now explode properly, too. Thanks to Newspaz for both of these.
Bonus levels27/4/'10 Today's release features an incomplete implementation of bonus levels. Gems can be collected and all levels can be completed, but road hazards do nothing.

There's also been more work on cutscenes, and the opening animation is now working.

I found a small albeit annoying bug. When you start just the bonus levels you don't get the option to quit to menu after pressing esc.

(is there a way to get back to the desktop like the windows button does on windows maching, had to do a hard reset now)

It is *very* good to see the way this is developing - I know as far as Pandora is concerned this is just an update to the current codebase, but still - very nice new bits and pieces that will go a LONG way towards making OpenJazz feel more like the real thing (since every time I've played it, it's been missing *something*).

Downloading :)

I still have not figured out how to use this. Exactly what files go exactly where?

I tried to run this, but no luck. I have all the files; here's my log file. http://pastebin.com/n4ahXmHA

It runs very well. Certainly a lot smoother than JJ in DOSbox. I've had no lags at all. And the engine feels a lot like the original. I've had some slight difficulties aiming jumps (though this could very well just be me being a bit rusty, having not played JJ since the '90s), and one glitch where Jazz slid up a wall, but he didn't get stuck there, so it's hardly a problem other than possibly in terms of replicating the DOS version as closely as possible. All in all, I very much like how this plays.

Any plans of implementing game saving? That seems to me like the most (perhaps only) important thing that's missing.

I noticed a couple of graphical issues, by the way, and I don't know if it's just me or if this is something you may have noticed also.
- In 1x mode, the colors and textures get all messed up. Things go all black-and-mauve and untextured (except for the gradient backgrounds). I don't know why. No big deal, since it looks perfectly fine in 2x mode, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway, since I don't know if it's just mine that does this (perhaps I did something wrong) or if it's a known issue.
- On the planet zoom in screen, there are no stars. The intro animation is also broken, to the point where it's a garbled mess. This doesn't affect the gameplay, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Just a few observations. All in all, I'd say this is coming along great. Except for the game saving being missing, I'd call this fully playable. Good job.

Back