Opengl In The Firmware 1.2.0

frozen

Still Fresh
Hi

Did anybody try the new OpenGL ES of the firmware 1.2.0? Do I understand well, that with a better opengl binary, I could use the original 1.2 SDL with 3d hardware acceleration? I need the touch screen support and SDL 1.3 do not have it.

Thanks,
frozen

frozen said:
Did anybody try the new OpenGL ES of the firmware 1.2.0?
Yes, it worked fine, you can try it out here. Performance has increased a little bit (~10 FPS). Also 24 bit textures are now converted a lot nicer to 16 bit colours.

Do I understand well, that with a better opengl binary, I could use the original 1.2 SDL with 3d hardware acceleration?
No, I don't think so. AFAIK SDL 1.2 doesn't support acceleration of its drawing routines using OpenGL. You can however use SDL for input, sound, ... and OpenGL for drawing.

Btw: I'm planning to release my own Library which I use to wrap OpenGL for the Wiz in the next weeks. Maybe you are interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any other way to use opengl es without using SDL 1.3? If it is possible to use SDL 1.2 for input (and sound, etc), and somehow draw with opengl es then it is fine for me.

I checked the Propis demo, it works on my device but there is awful rendering artifacts on the screen. It seems that is uses opengl for drawing, and it also uses the touch screen. I thought it uses SDL 1.2 and my old opengl (firmware 1.1.0) causes the problems. Thats why i thought SDL 1.2 supports opengl es acceleration.

I'm porting an existing game that uses opengl es and also the touch screen, i need both of them.

frozen

if you only need touchscreen and opengl, but don't need SDL i can help you out. i compiled the touchscreen lib (tslib) standalone and also have some code for opengl initialisation lying around.

for sound you can still use SDL_Mixer alone, btw.

If you need SDL1.3 & touchscreen, I've done a little sample based on Pickle's port of nehe's tutorials (lesson18):
prg.testogl.zip : you can rotate one of the cube displayed.
It includes sources & compiled binaries, the touchscreen events are translated to SDL mouse events (it's not directly included in SDL code, like keyboard emul of the sample).

Thor

A precompiled tslib would solve my problems. A cheked the prg.testogl.zip file. It contains the header for tslib and the .so file, but the library file (.a or .o) is missing.

frozen

frozen said:
A precompiled tslib would solve my problems. A cheked the prg.testogl.zip file. It contains the header for tslib and the .so file, but the library file (.a or .o) is missing.

frozen

i'll upload tonite when i come home.

frozen said:
.h (from the web) and .so (from the wiz itself) are enough to code... (I have no .a nor .o)

Hmm, I'm not familiar with linux/gcc, but addicted to visual c. I thought .so is the same as dll on windows, and I need a lib file that could be linked against my code.

frozen

frozen said:
Hmm, I'm not familiar with linux/gcc, but addicted to visual c. I thought .so is the same as dll on windows, and I need a lib file that could be linked against my code.

frozen

as far as i understand (i'm also on windows 99% of my time) the .so contains all information that is needed. just like a regular dll that exports symbols.

tslib source is here http://tslib.berlios.de/ if you can't wait. i for myself didn't do it the way rtb suggested, i compiled the sources for static linking on the wiz (and thus have an .a file if you still want it ;))

my server is reachable again - so here it is:

http://crow.riot.org/wiz/libts-wiz.zip

this contains tslib sources, besides static debug + release libraries compiled with software floating point. i've also added firmware 1.1.0's libts dynamic library, which is on the other hand compiled with hardware floating point (as everything from GPH).

Back