Open2x That Was Just Uploaded

wiggythebrave posted on Apr 12 2006 at 05:06 PM said:
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I just want to make sure I don't total my gp2x.

I want to update to open2x, so I've reverted to gph 1.4 from camfs. I'm now stuck on what to do next after downloading version from the archive.

The version in the file archive has the following files when you decompress...

flash_open2x.gpu
gp2x_write
gp2xkernel.img
gp2xole
open2xfile.img
veraMono (font file)

Which files do I use for first and second steps?

Thanks.

First, make sure all files are on your SD card. Run "flash_open2x.gpu" from the utility menu. It will not be clear when it is finished. Look earlier in this thread for what I saw when it was finished.

Reboot with the SD card and it should start a firmware update copying over the Open2X kernel (gp2xkernel.img).

Last edited by a moderator:
Incidentally, for those of you who have updated u-boot to Art's one, you do not need to flash to the official 1.4 kernel to use Open2x. Just call it kernel.img, hold start when you flick the switch to turn on the 2x, and select boot from SD...

Works like a charm :)

fomit posted on Apr 12 2006 at 09:14 AM said:
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I just want to make sure I don't total my gp2x.

I want to update to open2x, so I've reverted to gph 1.4 from camfs. I'm now stuck on what to do next after downloading version from the archive.

flash_open2x.gpu
gp2x_write
gp2xkernel.img
gp2xole
open2xfile.img
veraMono (font file)

Thanks.

First, make sure all files are on your SD card. Run "flash_open2x.gpu" from the utility menu. It will not be clear when it is finished. Look earlier in this thread for what I saw when it was finished.

Reboot with the SD card and it should start a firmware update copying over the Open2X kernel (gp2xkernel.img).

Thanks, I'll try that now.

Updated 11.30am......worked a treat, many thanks.

wiggythebrave posted on Apr 12 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
fomit posted on Apr 12 2006 at 09:14 AM said:

flash_open2x.gpu
gp2x_write
gp2xkernel.img
gp2xole
open2xfile.img
veraMono (font file)

Thanks.

Thanks, I'll try that now.

Updated 11.30am......worked a treat, many thanks.

Glad to help. Enjoy your new faster booting GP2X!

Im kinda stuck, i've done the first step numerous times and it has completed successfully everytime. But, when i reset the GP2X it doesnt do the firmware updating thing.

Can anyone help?

I always used robsters for upgrading, as i think it's considered safer. I've tried 2 sd cards, a 512mb kingston and a 512mb peak, neither have worked. I am using 1.4 firmware, and i thought most if not all of the upgrade compatability issues had been solved by this stage.

I'll try some more sd cards and see if any work.

WOO, kinda. Anyway, i tried a Viking 256mb, didn't work, then i tried the 128mb card out of a tomtom. It worked!!

Now i get the tux loading screen, and it boots really fast, when i go into info it says version 1.4 SquashFS sbock, is this what it should say for Open2x?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

version 1.4 SquashFS sbock, is this what it should say for Open2x?

Yes, that's my changed version of open2x, congratulations! <_<

Regards,
Stephan

WOO, i didn't mean to sound ungrateful, i just wasn't sure if i'd done it all properly.

I'm gonna go and turn it on and off some more and watch how quick it boots.

Thanks for all the help dudes

Bramrash posted on Apr 12 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
WOO, i didn't mean to sound ungrateful, i just wasn't sure if i'd done it all properly.

I'm gonna go and turn it on and off some more and watch how quick it boots.

Thanks for all the help dudes

There is no sarcasm in my post. After trying so many cards I mean it honestly: Congratulations !

Regards,
Stephan

Bramrash posted on Apr 12 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
I've tried 2 sd cards, a 512mb kingston and a 512mb peak, neither have worked.

the kingston works if you format it as FAT32 in windows.

i use it myself. but i had to format it to FAT32 first.

I am kind of irritated at the lack of a resume video bookmark - mine no longer work.

yaustar posted on Apr 11 2006 at 08:27 PM said:
As linked earlier, it is possible to use different skins on the firmware:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,1439

The whole point is that you cannot install them through the conventional methods? I do not want that skin - in my opinion it isn't any better than the one this came with - in fact, it is worse.

I am ofcourse referring to this skin -

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,52,1102

I am assuming it is the "blue" variant.

The whole point is that you cannot install them through the conventional methods? I do not want that skin - in my opinion it isn't any better than the one this came with - in fact, it is worse.

Nobody forced you to change to open2x. You don't like "Blue Poison" ? So if you are smart, you can change to whatever skin you like.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock posted on Apr 12 2006 at 02:56 PM said:

Nobody forced you to change to open2x. You don't like "Blue Poison" ? So if you are smart, you can change to whatever skin you like.

Regards,
Stephan

No, I am giving my opinion on it. I love it - but it isn't perfect, and could be improved in many ways. In my opinion, Blue Poison is a god-awful skin, but that is just my opinion - no one forced you to read it. If it were to have retained the funtionality of the 1.4.0 skin changing, this would have made it much easier - instead of installing the firmware every time you want a new skin.

minkster posted on Apr 13 2006 at 02:20 AM said:
Does this FW support overclocking ::crosses fingers:: :)

Yes, in the same way FW 1.4.0 or cramfs does: Via scripts.

Regards,
Stephan

does this firmware work with Mocca? Can you tell mocca to load everytime and when you turn on the GP2X it then boots up really fast and loads straight into Mocca?

TIA

There should be a version of a fastboot firmware that doesn't have to use some read only file structure that breaks a lot of things. I think the paranoia over "using up" the NAND is unfounded. GPH has said they used a newer NAND that has millions of write cycles, I find it hard to believe any of us is going to use a million write cycles.

Back