Open2x That Was Just Uploaded

Are there any programs known not to work with this firmware, like how neorage and some other programs didn't work in cramfs?

Eso Rimmer posted on Apr 10 2006 at 04:46 PM said:
To naples39:
If you mean Rage2x by "neorage", then I must say it works fine cramfs...

Q: Has open2x locked nand like cramfs?

Haha, yeah, that's what I meant. Whoops :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the point of installing open2x over cramfs? I'm happy as it is right now and I don't really see what is new in open2x apart from a possible 1 second faster boot speed.

Where can I download this firmware?

You can download it from:

Archive with modified skin.

or

Art's Homepage with original skin.

@sand_man

Open2x is much more compatible.
Open2x has a nice boot screen.
Open2x is an open source project.

Regards,
Stephan

I be honest, and Im a techie type person, I find the lack of what I would call proper install instructions a big limiter on this. I would love to try it but Im not going anywhere near this until I understand exactly what is involved and so far read thing this thread its not obvious to me yet alone any one not techie...

Sorry Guys !

No samba in it at the moment, it's basically got the same network functionality as the old Networking Firmware in the archive. It also has drivers for a USB WiFi stick.

And if you want the quickest boot time possible, I recommend you upgrade to art103's uboot. Stops all that nasty autobricking stuff too.

Nickmon posted on Apr 11 2006 at 12:34 PM said:
I be honest, and Im a techie type person, I find the lack of what I would call proper install instructions a big limiter on this. I would love to try it but Im not going anywhere near this until I understand exactly what is involved and so far read thing this thread its not obvious to me yet alone any one not techie...

Sorry Guys !

Here is a tutorial in english:

Tharos Portal

And the german thread on GP2x.de:

Thread

If this is no help for you, I'm sorry too. :)

Regards,
Stephan

Edit:
P.S. My english is to worse to write a proper guide for you. So sorry for that. But you can ask precise questions, and I will help you.

what do you mean with "much more compatible"?
E.g. Neocdgp2x works with open2x. In fact it is the only one I know, so perhaps "much more" is a little exaggeration. <_<

sbock posted on Apr 11 2006 at 08:53 PM said:
@sand_man

Open2x is much more compatible.
Open2x has a nice boot screen.
Open2x is an open source project.

Regards,
Stephan

More compatible with what?

More compatible with what?

Programs for the GP2x ?

As you know there are some programs which don't work with cramfs. (Neocdgp2x e.g.)

I've been a little nervous about updating my firmware to either Cramfs or Open2x. Does it upgrade the same way as the official GPH firmware? I've succesfully upgraded to 1.4.0 with no problem. I might then try to upgrade to Cramfs or Open2x. Which one is generally better? Are there any pros and cons between the two besides Open2x being one second faster in boot time and slightly better compatibility?

sbock posted on Apr 11 2006 at 11:45 AM said:
Nickmon posted on Apr 11 2006 at 12:34 PM said:

Sorry Guys !

Here is a tutorial in english:

Tharos Portal

And the german thread on GP2x.de:

Thread

If this is no help for you, I'm sorry too. :)

Regards,
Stephan

Edit:
P.S. My english is to worse to write a proper guide for you. So sorry for that. But you can ask precise questions, and I will help you.

what do you mean with "much more compatible"?
E.g. Neocdgp2x works with open2x. In fact it is the only one I know, so perhaps "much more" is a little exaggeration. <_<

Thanks sbock, that makes more sense now...
Now sure how I missed that page before...

Just one thing for you to know:

All new delivered GP2x from EvilDragon and Craig will have Open2x as default firmware.

EvilDragon wrote about it in this thread on GP2x.de.

Sorry folks, it is german once more... ;)

Regards,
Stephan

Back