Open-source Games That You Like?

Consider xu4/Ultima 4 done and ready for the Pandora more or less with a few hours of work. I ported it to my Beagle Board.

1024x768 framebuffer, x3 scaling, Scale2x, aspect ratio is off due to the monitor being widescreen.

Ultima4BB.JPG

Map the arrow keys to the D-pad on the Pandora, implement 2.5 factor scaling to fill the entire screen, and we're done.

Porting was a quick but not completely painless job. I tried the beta release off the page, but there were numerous issues and bugs, due to g++ being 4.1 and later. Lots of things that were valid in the earlier versions weren't anymore. So I found the dev CVS tree version, and worked from there.

ASSERT() also failed in placed, so I commented out a few. Additionally, #include <cstring> needed to be included. I also disabled support for the u5/u6 imageloader as they seem to cause compilation problems.

SDL sound was disabled as well, as SDL/OSS sound on the Angstrom/Beagle Board is very, very buggy and kernel panics without fail.

Not seen anyone mention the greatest game ever written yet.. Ri-li.

It's a good old fashioned worm game. Just navigate around the track, picking up the carts as you go and don't run into your own trail.

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

Supports19 languages, Colourful animated wood engine, 50 levels, 3 music tracks and loads of sound effects. Made with SDL too.

Great for adults or kids and one of the most polished games I've seen on Linux yet :D

Taking a look at the list, I'll tackle:
  1. Homeworld (excellent use of touchscreen, has a software renderer, will need mappings of function to different keys)
  2. Battle of Wesnoth (excellent use of touchscreen)
  3. Ur-Quan Masters (map to game controls)
I'll take a shot at porting these games to my Beagle Board and then see if I can submit necessary patches/diffs to the parent projects once I have a Pandora (800x480 touchscreen for UI input mods) to test and dev on.

wesbrown18 said:
Map the arrow keys to the D-pad on the Pandora, implement 2.5 factor scaling to fill the entire screen, and we're done.

Porting was a quick but not completely painless job. I tried the beta release off the page, but there were numerous issues and bugs, due to g++ being 4.1 and later. Lots of things that were valid in the earlier versions weren't anymore. So I found the dev CVS tree version, and worked from there.

ASSERT() also failed in placed, so I commented out a few. Additionally, #include <cstring> needed to be included. I also disabled support for the u5/u6 imageloader as they seem to cause compilation problems.

SDL sound was disabled as well, as SDL/OSS sound on the Angstrom/Beagle Board is very, very buggy and kernel panics without fail.
Can we see the source code dropped somewhere for your work? Please? :D

I would like to at some point make sure that's available in there somewhere as part of the commonly available stuff for Pandora.

As for OSS. Don't use it. Serious. One should use ALSA as ASoC is the driver layer and while OSS sound is there because of ALSA, it's twitchy right at the moment on ASoC from what I understand right at the moment. Since SDL understands ALSA anyhow, it should play nicer... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Svartalf said:
Can we see the source code dropped somewhere for your work? Please? :D

I would like to at some point make sure that's available in there somewhere as part of the commonly available stuff for Pandora.
Hm. Sure thing, I can drop the source code somewhere, though it's just the CVS version with a few fixes so that it compiles with the latest G++ stuff for the ARM. I'd rather talk to the developer if the project is still alive, and fix it at the root source so that we can just closely track the project.

There's nothing Beagle Board or Pandora specific about what I did so far. Pandora specific stuff will need to wait until I get a devboard, and even then, there won't be controls and the like.

Since the Pandora uses Angstrom, I could take a look at creating a bitbake package for Ultima 4 and submit it to the Angstrom repo, and we'd have a clean solution as far as source management.

I'm not sure if we have a Pandora OE tree that accepts ports like this yet. :)

As for OSS. Don't use it. Serious. One should use ALSA as ASoC is the driver layer and while OSS sound is there because of ALSA, it's twitchy right at the moment on ASoC from what I understand right at the moment. Since SDL understands ALSA anyhow, it should play nicer... :D

Ah-ha. SDL defaults to OSS first in the list. I'll try ALSA and see if that fixes things for xu4 and my E-UAE stuff.

wesbrown18 said:
Since the Pandora uses Angstrom, I could take a look at creating a bitbake package for Ultima 4 and submit it to the Angstrom repo, and we'd have a clean solution as far as source management.
Once the Git fork is in place (it's not there yet...) on the same site as the kernel sources, etc. you probably ought to look into that.

I'm not sure if we have a Pandora OE tree that accepts ports like this yet. :)

Not yet, but it's starting to gel slowly. In a handful or so of days it ought to gel enough for us to set up our own "fork" of OE on the git server.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Hacked xu4 sources and object files

This includes the object files and the executables, linked and built for Angstrom. Please don't take this version as authoritative or any such thing. It was a quick hack job to get it to compile, and display SDL on my Beagle Board's fbdev. :)

You'll need to grab the ultima4 directory and the VGA upgrade from the xu4 site.

Edit: oops, fixed the link.

Nat said:
I don't know about Sauerbraten at the moment, but I have been messing around with Cube1 source for a while now. It should be ported as soon as I get me a decent SDK with the Out-O-the-Box libraries (i've been messing around with the Makefile mostly as well as looking at where I might build a dedicated masterserver for the pandora players (maybe linode))
careful this guy might port something :ph34r:
he likes his cube. I tried to take the cube from him but instead he put our german teacher in the game. :blink:

Ur-Quan Masters compiles out of the box on Angstrom/BB. Consider this one done for the Pandora.

UrQuanMastersBB.JPG

ricki said:
I try to update this post if I find something new. If someone quote this post to the first page every once in a while that would be very useful ;)
Your work is excellent. I think that it would be useful if your post was moved to the top of this thread. I mean - to make it the starting post. I'll PM a moderator for that.

cosurgi said:
ricki said:
I try to update this post if I find something new. If someone quote this post to the first page every once in a while that would be very useful ;)
Your work is excellent. I think that it would be useful if your post was moved to the top of this thread. I mean - to make it the starting post. I'll PM a moderator for that.

Yep!

cosurgi said:
I'll PM a moderator for that.

Well, unfortunately it turned out to be impossible. The possible solutions would be hiding all posts before this one (and then it would be a second post) or splitting this thread, or putting it inside my opening post, but then ricki could not edit it. So it has to stay like this..

cosurgi said:
Well, unfortunately it turned out to be impossible.
It's not impossible. It takes a bit of wrangling, but it can be done.

In fact, it already has been. :)

ricki said:
Svartalf said:
Once the Git fork is in place (it's not there yet...) on the same site as the kernel sources, etc. you probably ought to look into that.
Erm, is this the Git you talk about?

git://git.openpandora.org/pandora-kernel.git

Posting about Pandora kernel GIT server
Edit: replaced link

Yep, that's the one we're talking about. But right now, that only has the Pandora kernel. Hopefully it'll expand to OE and our own packages for the games that we port.

I'll be taking a look at Pandora's packaging format using PXML and seeing if I can test that with xu4 or Star Control. It'll be an interesting test case, as they both have data files that they expect to be in certain locations.

Chip said:
cosurgi said:
Well, unfortunately it turned out to be impossible.
It's not impossible. It takes a bit of wrangling, but it can be done.

In fact, it already has been. :)
Wow, thanks! I PMed another mod, because I didn't want to bother you. ;)
As for the board games, I found brutalchess few whiles ago. It's not brutal actually, it's just a normal chess game, but with very nice OpenGL graphics and doesn't require gnuchess engine to be separately installed (works out of the box). There might be some OpenGL ES porting issues, though.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/brutalchess

http://images.google.com/images?q=brutalchess

A friend of mine is a huge Go fan, and asked me about Go. I enjoy Go myself, so I'll be porting this:

http://sdlgo.sourceforge.net/

Hopefully the instabilities that he mentions isn't too bad.

This leaves my list at:

* xu4 / Ultima 4 - ported to BB, waiting on Pandora hardware
* uqm / Star Control 2 - ported to BB, waiting on Pandora hardware
* Homeworld - Just received svn access to their repo, on my TODO list.
* Battle of Wesnoth - haven't touched this yet
* SDL GNU Go - haven't touched this yet

ricki said:
wesbrown18 said:
A friend of mine is a huge Go fan, and asked me about Go. I enjoy Go myself, so I'll be porting this:

http://sdlgo.sourceforge.net/
Isn't SDL_Go only a graphical interface to GNU Go? Don't we would need both to play Go on the pandora?

Yep, but they can be bundled together into a package. GNU go should compile out of the box. SDL Go will be modified to reflect the Pandoras screen.

Back