Ootake For The 2x

nixeon4x

Still Fresh
Can ootake be ported to the 2X? There's been no news on it lately.
This emulator rivals Magic engine, it's open source, and it's updated often. :eek:

nixeon4x said:
Can ootake be ported to the 2X? There's been no news on it lately.
This emulator rivals Magic engine, it's open source, and it's updated often. :eek:
Squidge said he'd look at it but he has since decided not to since I'll be porting my PC-Engine emulator soon. Ootake is well written but pretty complex, with tons of hacks built up over the years.. it has lots of comments, which is good, but they're in Japanese so that's not so good for most of us. The minimum requirements given are around the 1GHz PC range, but there's no telling how accurate that is (and if it isn't just an arbitrary "safe" figure).

(+ = pro, - = con)

+ Very compatible, almost everything works perfectly
+ Lots of options and polish
+ PCE-CD and SuperGrafx support (latter will cost you much extra in CPU needed)
+ Written in C
+ Still being developed (there was a release just a couple days ago even)

- Complex/bloated source code (to give you an idea, over 2MB in source, mine is around 200KB, although of course Ootake is more fully featured)
- Windows specific which needs a decent amount of port work to move off of
- Probably needs a lot of optimization
- Still being developed (need to merge new changes)

Another good option is Mednafen.

+ As compatible as Ootake
+ Even more options and polish
+ PCE-CD and SuperGrafx support as well
+ Supports many other emulated platforms (although a lot of them are just other existing emus)
+ Simple source code
+ Written with SDL, is portable

- If you don't want all those other platforms (and you probably won't) they'll have to be ripped out
- Slow

*cough* and the emu I'm working on...

+ Simple
+ Sorta fast
+ I know how to make it faster
+ Written with SDL, is portable

- Compatibility is slightly lower than the others (should be around 95% right now, maybe lower)
- Sound quality isn't quite as good as Mednafen (but faster)
- No PCE-CD or SuperGrafx yet, and PCE-CD might be hard to add :/
- I know the source code of course

It goes without saying that mine is the one I'll be porting, since that's the only reason I did it in the first place. For Craiginator I think Mednafen would be an excellent port though. By the way, none of these have GP2X suitable GUIs yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh holy shazzam! Exophase is working on a pce emulator? Dude, that is awesome news! I am excited to see with what you come up with.

Back