Oooookkkkkaayyy, Maybe I Left It A Little Too Long.

Bramrash

Hey guys, not been here for ages because I got a DS and have hardly touched my gp2x, mk1, first edition since. Just before I left there was news of someone, was it craigix?, working on the pandora.

Hahaha, I just realised I dont really have a specific question, can anyone point me to lists of wiz (is that gph? I thought they'd gone bust?) and pandora pros and cons, and specs, and if possible which dev's have committed to which machines.

Cheers guys, I know you can help.

Pandora = Craigix , Evil Dragon, among others;
GP2X Wiz = GPH, however Evil Dragon, and a surprising cast of familiar names are involved somehow.

If you're thinking of getting a Pandora or Wiz, it might be worth asking why have you hardly touched your GP2X and used your DS instead. If it's the number of commercial games, the Pandora and Wiz might not be a good choice.

There seems to be very little 'buzz' around here concerning the wiz.
Probably because of the pandora's soon(ish)arrival.
Is there some other board dedicated to the wiz with more chat? <_<
It's a shame so many seem to be blanking the wiz as it would seem both consoles could happily co-exist.

wiz = small, good screen for outdoors, about 1/2 the price of pandroa.
pandora - wifi, firefox, doom III, n64 emulation, drool, win, giant screen, and one huge price tag. Personally i think a gameboy micro and pandora would be the ultimate setup.

All though it's cliche, i think I got annoyed with the d pad more than anything.

So, are not many people interested in the wiz? Its a shame, because from the vid of evil dragon on youtube it looks very sexy. How much exactlyish (lol) does each one cost?

edit: whoops, by d pad, I suppose I mean lack of. The thing that attracted me to gp2x was metal slugs on the neo cd emulator and the possibility of full blown neo geo emulation, which came. I was completely underwhelmed because I couldnt controll them properly.

waffles said:
pandora - wifi, firefox, doom III, n64 emulation,
Was any of that ever even confirmed?

None of the things mentioned are "win", Internet browsing would be better off on a normal screen, Doom III obviously won't happen and N64 probably wont be playable anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty said:
Doom III obviously won't happen
They have there not only superb graphics but also a heavy-hardware consuming(or CPU if audio card is bad) audio engine. I bet the engine is also full of floating points.

Bramrash said:
Hey guys, not been here for ages because I got a DS and have hardly touched my gp2x, mk1, first edition since. Just before I left there was news of someone, was it craigix?, working on the pandora.

Hahaha, I just realised I dont really have a specific question, can anyone point me to lists of wiz (is that gph? I thought they'd gone bust?) and pandora pros and cons, and specs, and if possible which dev's have committed to which machines.

Cheers guys, I know you can help.
Here's everything you want to know about the Pandora including the specs...it's insane for something so small be so powerful and being that powerful I don't think it's too expensive. Hopefully with this you should be able to make up your own pros and cons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

That Doom 3 thing is crazy! whoever came up with that? they probably meant Quake III not Doom! I can barely run Doom 3 on my PC and I have 2gb of ram, and a AMD Athlon64 3500+ at 2.4ghz (it's not that fast but way faster than a pandora) and it runs on medium but a little bit slowly. If the pandora could run it it would probably be on low settings...and remember Doom 3 has up to ULTRA settings which some people without at least an 8800 can't run at more than 25-30 fps!

I do know that Doom 3 uses OpenGL though but I still don't think it would be possible...Quake 3 definitely is.

I have an AMD 3600+, and only 1Mb of RAM and Doom 3 runs brilliantly - hence it's not the CPU that's important, but the graphics card in that example.

Until users start developing and pushing the boundaries, nobody really knows what the Pandora is capable of - I'm certain that we won't see the best of it for a few years, much like every other computer and console ever created.

But what we have seen so far, looks fantastic.

iprice said:
I have an AMD 3600+, and only 1Mb of RAM and Doom 3 runs brilliantly
1Mb!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What iprice says is true, noone will know the true power of the Pandora until someone finally opens Pandora's Box, and death, destruction, and chaos will strike all other consoles, 7 evil dragons will burn the earth to ashes... well you know, like the legend says anyway :D

I plan on getting a Wiz first, then maybe if I can scrape up the cash, a second release Pandora.

GlacierMints said:
I plan on getting a Wiz first, then maybe if I can scrape up the cash, a second release Pandora.
Yeah I plan on getting both as well. I want a Wiz now so I'll have something to mess around with for the Holidays. Plus I didn't get in the Pandora preorder because I really want to wait and save money for it. I'm not preordering anything I haven't seen a final design of. I know it's going to be good, but I'm just waiting. I'll have money and reviews by the time the second batch get released.

I just want something I can comfortably play Sega Megadrive on whilst on the go, that is small enough to drop into my pocket.

The GBA micro would be perfect if there was a working Genesis emulator for it. Only a Master System from what I can remember though :(

I can't believe some even mentioned running Doom 3 on the Pandora. Seriously, i run that game at high on my 3.2 Ghz PIV, 1Gb RAM and x1600 pro and it struggles severely at some points.

Check the Doom 3 Min specs:1.5 GHz CPU, 384 MB RAM, DirectX 9.0b compatible 64 MB video card with OpenGL 2.0 drivers

The Pandora is a wonderful machine, but people must stop overestimating its power! Instead of spending months attempting to scrape an extra few frames per second out an impossible Doom 3 port, i think devs would rather persue other ventures.

Back