One week to go... and so much work to do (2012-02-10)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As you probably seen on this thread, both Link and Linux-SWAT are currently in Ingolstadt, helping out with the Pandora assembly.

They already prepared over 300 keymats with DPads and put over 500 LCDs into the lids.

Next up will be soldering speakers to LCD Cables, putting these together with the WiFi antennas into the upper lid and finishing that one.

So things are progressing nicely here.

I need some more DPads but luckily Craig has additional ones left I can grab from him.

The bare PCBs are now finished and will be shipped to Germany today.

So early next week, everything should be ready for the mass production.

Link, Linux-SWAT and me will drive to Global Components and build as well as test as many units as possible.

Please give us some time here. I'm planning to start shipping the units out around February 22nd.

I hope I can keep up with building units once these two are gone again (Feb 21st), but in worst case, I can hire some staff to help out.

This will only be an issue with the first 1000. After that, GC will assemble the units, so all I need to do is ship them (which will still be a massive amount of work).

All the parts for the next 1000 units have also already been ordered, so once we start, there shouldn't be a stop.

I'm a bit nervous though about the next cases and LCD Cables. They have been ordered a while ago, but they are coming from China.

We won't run out of cases and cables before the first 1300 units are shipped, but that means that we need them here in 6 weeks.

I'll keep you informed.

I will also keep you informed about the TV Out Cables. I've now asked some German companies for quotations - so hopefully, we should have this last issue settled as well.

Link will also ship the Pandoras to US customers. This will save some shipping costs.

Thanks for his and Linux-SWATs help :D

Next week, it's Pandora Rebirth time... interesting times, eh? :)

Last edited:
Very exciting news!

I wish I could take off from work and help out over there..

Wow sounds exciting. Hopefully everything goes well and don't forget to have fun in the process!

"Link, Linux-SWAT and me will drive to Global Components and build as well as test as many units as possible.

Please give us some time here."

Shouldn't it be "Link, Linux-SWAT and I will drive to Global Components and build as well as test as many units as possible.

Please give us some time here."?

"Link, Linux-SWAT and me will drive to Global Components and build as well as test as many units as possible.

Shouldn't it be "Link, Linux-SWAT and I will drive to Global Components and build as well as test as many units as possible.

You realize English isn't his primary language.

After long wait... Soon it's over. ED, you are a hero for all of us! :D

I just hope I get my pandora before Rebirth competition is over. Well.. if not, it still doesn't hurt to publish my work ^_^

I posted that question in another thread, but having stayed unanswered, I'll bring it back here.

Do US Pandoras include Pandoras for Canada?

It might be a silly question, but at least other Canadians can be sure of that as well, if there are any! :p

You realize English isn't his primary language.

Yes, but you see, German also has separate first-person pronouns that are used in the same context (I -> ich, me -> mich/mir/some others, I think), so there's no excuse. :p

(I don't want to play this time, so PLEASE, nobody take this seriously. I'm being not particularly serious. OK? OK.)

Glad you're joking. Any further derails like this and I'll get mildly upset.

Just to reiterate what TrashyMG said, this is an international forum. We don't do grammar policing here, unless someone specifically asks for feedback on their use of English. I don't want to get all bossy, but I will start policing the police if it continues. Live and let live, ok? :)

Back on topic, some great news here. Fingers crossed for a smooth PCB population run!

I hope I can keep up with building units once these two are gone again (Feb 21st), but in worst case, I can hire some staff to help out.

This will only be an issue with the first 1000. After that, GC will assemble the units, so all I need to do is ship them (which will still be a massive amount of work).
I have all the time in the world, and am more than happy to help. ED, if I could help out over there with the assembly and whatnot, just PM me (or whatever) with the details. :)

Do US Pandoras include Pandoras for Canada?
Don't take my word as certain, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that shipping direct from Germany would be about the same cost as bulk shipping to the US and then to Canada from there, so there's no point. I could be mistaken about that.

ED Way down the line in the future when things become more stable, any chance people can go on a factory tour and see pandoras being produced? I would love to make a trip up to see this in action and have a beer but im sure your time is extremly limited currently. I'm decent with a soldering gun and would be willing to take a train up to visit you guys if you need some more help next weekend (I'm busy this one) just PM me it would be my pleasure to meet you and help out.

Great update on things! :)

I just wish BR customs would not charge me 200% in taxes for getting one :( .

Maybe in a while I get a chance to do MA in Europe and can get my own Pandora from ED´s hands? (I wish I wish, genius from the bottle, let that happen... ^_^ )

Sounds really great! Sorry for bitching in the last thread, but I am still happy to see the project going forward again!

If only I wasn't moving, finishing my thesis and being untalented in soldering, I'd offer my help as well :D

ps: me thinks Americans sometimes confuse I/me as well :ph34r:

Great news. I already said this in another thread (I think over a half year ago). I am a student from Bavaria and I have semester break until mid. March. So If you need any help I could take the Train to Igolstadt and help. I know how to solder and assembling a case should also be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Link, Linux-SWAT and me will drive to Global Components and build as well as test as many units as possible. Please give us some time here." Shouldn't it be "Link, Linux-SWAT and I will drive to Global Components and build as well as test as many units as possible. Please give us some time here."?

Always a nice way to introduce yourself to the community.

Well done.

On Topic:

As with others, I wish I could take some time off work and help, unfortunately it is not possible.

Good luck with everything, I look forward to hearing about and seeing the new boards.

Great news Ed!! :) I really hope everything goes to plan - you deserve it after all your hard work!!

Maybe you've said before; but what is the ratio of old to new orders that are going to be produced in the 1st 1000? - is it 500 of each (and the 500 old ones are ones that have paid the difference?). also, how is the "new" ordering going (I'm assuming you have enough capital to produce the 1st 1000) - are you now going to try and get the word out more - more mass emails, magazine articles, advertising etc etc

Great news Ed!! :) I really hope everything goes to plan - you deserve it after all your hard work!!

Maybe you've said before; but what is the ratio of old to new orders that are going to be produced in the 1st 1000? - is it 500 of each (and the 500 old ones are ones that have paid the difference?). also, how is the "new" ordering going (I'm assuming you have enough capital to produce the 1st 1000) - are you now going to try and get the word out more - more mass emails, magazine articles, advertising etc etc

The reality is that the ratio is not set in stone, because it depends on the available funds at the time, which ED is trying to maximise, but has no way to accurately predict, which is why this point has been intentionally left vague.

My impression based on what ED has said is that the 'worst case' scenario he's calculated is 6:4 in favour of the new pre-orders, but as people upgrade their classic pre-orders to 'premium' and/or as refurbished CC made units are sold after upgrades, more and more units can go to classic pre-orderers, so the final ratio can only be known once the first 1000 are shipped.

- Neelix

Back