One video per day - Discussions

Multitasking is for girls.

If I did want to though, Pandora manages great from what I've seen in a number of videos.

I forget about Low Power mode and that is a very nice little feature, perfect for little bursts of gaming throughout a day, five mins here, ten mins there, sneak off to the bog for few more mins on it, carry on at lunch, so on so forth

soldier on OPT

Just saw the latest ED video, and it actually made me sad for you ED. You looked like you wanted to justify and excuse the Pandora, in a "it's-not-that-crappy" kind of way.

Don't worry too much, we know exactly all it can do, and the awesomeness it contains, and if some of us are frustrated by the (long) wait and want to jump off the boat, the vast majority will follow you to hell (and beyond). We're hooked, we want a Panda now! I hope not too many people will cancel their order, and most of all I hope it won't cause any trouble to your (small) budget. I'm sure in times, and even though it's not the main target, you will reap dividends from it. And most importantly, you will be able to look at yourself proudly and say "we've made it. A winner is us".

Just saw the latest ED video, and it actually made me sad for you ED. You looked like you wanted to justify and excuse the Pandora, in a "it's-not-that-crappy" kind of way.
I noticed that too, and I can fully understand why. After all time spent developing, encouraging and what not.. you tend to get a bit angry when people question you. People who say that their N900 this and their iPhone that really miss what the Pandora is about. Even I as a child of Windows and OSX (who is afraid of Linux) can see that it is about the Open part.

I hope not too many people will cancel their order...
I'd sooner die of starvation than cancel my order. My budget did take a bit of a hit when I bought it and all the nifty extras (including the donation of course), but... noodles are cheap and can easily be seasoned with things like salt... and... uhm... sand... pft... mud. All sorts of things.

Actually, I got the idea when I had a Pandora presentation at an event on Saturday.

I asked the folks what they wanted to see and tried that on the Pandora live. It handled everything so well and fast, that I was amazed myself.

Then I remembered some posts about that nowadays, OMAP4 is standard (which it is NOT, there are a lot of OMAP3 devices out there) and I was reminded of my SmartQ5 which is so incredibly slow...

So I thought, why not make a video about how snappy the desktop is? :)

Loving the look of Picodrive there, nice work by notaz.

This will be one heavilly used emu for me no doubt, shinobi and strider calling.

What was the humming bird looking game then, not seen that before, graphics looked nice but couldn't see what was going on either. At end it looked like was getting other birds hanging around, like flicky or abes, got to lead them to safety or something?

Love the one video per day feature, and the device looks phenomenal! Cant wait to get my hands on one, but since there is a wait, and in the interest of fairness, how about a video which showcases the things that the Pandora does not do too well yet, if any, or may need some software work to make better? This might be the shortest video you will ever have to make...

Wow, the Pandora looks better and better with each emulator you display. Can't wait to get mine.

I didn't find an official thread for requests for the next video, so here it is: I'd like to see some Atari ST action on the Pandora, as it's one of the main emus I'm going to play on it (I've heard Hatari works pretty well, I'd like to compare to CaSTaway I'm currently playing on PSP). There was a video for Amiga, so it's only fair to do one for Atari ST as well ;) Can't wait to try on Pirates!, Dungeon Master, Millenium 2.2, Defender of the Crown, Speedball, SuperSprint, Wizball and all... Anyway ED, it's not urgent of course, as I still have time to wait (hopefully not much more, but I'm not on batch 1)

Thanks!

I got an idea for a one vid per day. If would be a little harder to do because requires video editig, but quite interesting to see:

Put pandora on the table, put a wall clock beside it. Set the clock on 12:00. Start Pandora and leave it, filming it besides the wall clock. Show camera around Pandora so that people see that there are no chargers attached. Then swich into time lapse movie and shot about 1 frame per 3 minutes. Let the battery discharge. In the end, the movie shooting should be "normal speed" again in order to show how Pandora is giving low-battery warnings, and eventually hibernates or shuts down.

Battery is one of strongest things about Pandora. To promote Pandora, means to boast about battery life.

Put a wall clock, and people will believe how strong battery is.

Also, you should run some kind of inifnite script that does some stuff like: launching firefox and killing -15 it every 10 minutes, with lots of pages open in tabs (so that we stress CPU and wifi chip). launching maplayer to show a movie. compiling some junk. And again and again. So nobody would say that Pandora is sitting idle and that's why the battery lasted so long. If you feel bold you could even overclock Pandora for all those hours.

Put pandora on the table, put a wall clock beside it. Set the clock on 12:00. Start Pandora and leave it, filming it besides the wall clock. Show camera around Pandora so that people see that there are no chargers attached. Then swich into time lapse movie and shot about 1 frame per 3 minutes. Let the battery discharge. In the end, the movie shooting should be "normal speed" again in order to show how Pandora is giving low-battery warnings, and eventually hibernates or shuts down.
That would be quite a boring wideo, if you ask me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be quite a boring wideo, if you ask me :)

I would say that watching for 60 seconds a spinning wall-clock over 10 hours, and a running Pandora would be pretty exciting for me. Ok, it can be 30 seconds. Or, that many seconds as long ED needs to say something about battery life. Few sentences and it's already 20 seconds passed. So it will not be boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all

I want to see it running Blender :D

+1 but can you show us a complete collection of devtools like gimps, blender and codeblocks and also compile a small project just before run it (a little more difficult than "hello world" please)

thanks!!!!

peace and pandora!

hi all

+1 but can you show us a complete collection of devtools like gimps, blender and codeblocks and also compile a small project just before run it (a little more difficult than "hello world" please)

thanks!!!!

peace and pandora!

Well, there isn't a Blender port yet AFAIK.

And I can't really code, so I have no codeblocks, etc. on it :/

Well, there isn't a Blender port yet AFAIK.

And I can't really code, so I have no codeblocks, etc. on it :/

ok, sorry...

i asked it because i ordered a pandora to learn coding... (and play of course!!!)

no blender port yet??? aaaarf!!!

ok, sorry...

i asked it because i ordered a pandora to learn coding... (and play of course!!!)

no blender port yet??? aaaarf!!!
People have asked and most of the good coders just tell them something like don't even bother or even though it has source code it is too much work <_<

Back