One Vid Per Day - Discussion

In the Application Video Part 1 ED didn't show the coolest feature of Gwaei, that you can draw a japanese symbol and translate it to english. ;-)

I get the impression he simply doesn't know what each program is about (i.e. what makes them in particular interesting) for a bunch of them, and for some the video is simply too rushed.

Figaro's password manager: Use it not only to track your passwords, but generate them! The safest passwords are ones with no connection to anything else, and there's a password generator in FPM. Since you only need to remember your master password, this allows you to use a strong password all over. Of course, that's all basic functionality of a password manager, and a major feature for them could be integration (like KDE's wallet or gnome's keyring).

Gwaei: Kanjipad entry, radical lookup, stroke order display.. this actually allows me (who can't write kanji, hanzi, katakana or hiragana) to look characters up. Impressive, and thank you for the tip, mcobit! Without this, the video just comes off as a really slow dictionary (I've used lookup and xjdic before, which allow romaji entry, and fiddled with hanzim which could do hanzi searches by radicals).

Squeeze, Xarchiver: Eh, archive GUIs. I've used file-roller in the past, but personally mostly stick to command line. Squeeze is native to xfce so may use its VFS.

Xournal: pen-focused note taking; remarkable features include PDF annotation (duplicating the "document viewer" evince's functionality a bit) and shape recognition (draw a circle, get an actual circle). Of course you can also enter text, which I've used to fill in PDF forms.

Gedit: Beyond the basic text editing (including incremental search) it has a plugin system, which can extend it for many uses. Judging by the file /usr/lib/gedit-2/plugin-loaders/libpythonloader.so those plugins can be scripts as well.

GoldenDict: Yep, another dictionary tool. Beyond the support for indexed on- and offline dictionaries, it does transliteration and morphology. Grouping dictionaries gives easy ways to switch based on things like source language and whether you're online.

Comix: Comic viewer, opens bitmap images in folders or archives. I use it all the time. It features rotation, scrolling direction switch for right to left, and double page view with automatic detection of wide (double page) images. I only wonder where the interpolation setting for upscaling went, but this will matter less on the Pandora.

"Document Viewer" seems to be evince. It's the one PDF viewer I know of to hide its own name like that. It does load a bunch of other formats too (posctscript, djvu, dvi, single image).

Dia's feature of connection points is mentioned, but not shown. Presumably because the targets are a bit hard to hit.

mtPaint: There's your paintbrush program - only, of course, a lot better. It can handle proper transparency, do basic color manipulations, precise pixel art, layers and animations.

Ristretto is the xfce basic picture viewer. It can show a whole folder of pictures, rotate and zoom, but not a whole lot else.

That fractal generator could really use some DSP help (whether from the DSP or GPU - perhaps even both). I'd normally use XaoS for browsing fractals.

Fotoxx is a photo management program; handle your collections, do slide shows, batch resize, colour adjustment and so on.

Pencil is a classical animation tool. I gather this could be used to produce things like Simon's cat animations.

Trackers are a type of musical sequencer that originated from the Amiga. MilkyTracker and Schism Tracker are two of the more modern ones, inspired by the DOS programs Fasttracker II and Impulse Tracker respectively, but portable and free.

yannv said:
I get the impression he simply doesn't know what each program is about (i.e. what makes them in particular interesting) for a bunch of them, and for some the video is simply too rushed.
Well, you can't fully blame the guy for not knowing all the software in the world. I would say the goal of the video is to highlight some of the diversity of applications available on the Pandora not so much to sell the specific applications. Though emphasizing their strong point would convey this point a bit better.

In the case of emulation, I personally expect a focus on emulator features available (or missing), performance of the port and compatibility with the games. Instead, like in the sega case, ED chooses to review and explain the games themselves. A bit of a funny choice, but I can at least see how well it performs.

Nevertheless, the video per day series is great. I enjoy every single one of them and look forward to each new episode. Carry on ED! These videos are making the wait much more tolerable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not blaming him. In fact, I am thankful he pointed out some programs I will probably be using. I expect the rushed nature of this demonstration has to do with the "one vid per day" constraint - doing one every day is a notable undertaking, and it's not the only thing he has to do. These little presentations probably go a long way towards explaining to people why we choose an open system.

yannv said:
These little presentations probably go a long way towards explaining to people why we choose an open system.

How?

How: Well, the device isn't generally available. The whole reason we have all these tools is that the system itself is open.

As for fullscreen programs, I'm again reminded of a feature in the Ion window manager - whenever a program went fullscreen, that program was considered its own workspace / virtual desktop. So you can just switch between them at any time. I'd be interested in knowing what other WMs pull that off.

yannv said:
How: Well, the device isn't generally available. The whole reason we have all these tools is that the system itself is open.

Yet if the device was available there'd be an awful lot more tools around, regardless of how open it is! So if you're arguing that openness is a preference to availability then I'm really not sure I follow your logic?

I don't quite understand what you're trying to twist my statements into here. If it was available but not open, well, we'd have something like a Playstation 3 - the device that's so well supported, I can't expect it to run games sold for it anymore. I'm stating that openness is an advantage for the user, and these videos demonstrate it.

I still don't understand what you're getting at. I don't understand the PS3 analogy? As far as I knew you can still buy a PS3 and run games sold for it?

I'll admit that I haven't seen most of the videos, and haven't been following what they are showing. Are they demonstrating any applications that aren't available on closed systems such as iPhone and Android?

In the GBA video, the last game that's being played is a racer.

What's the name of the game? And does it feature an in-cockpit viewpoint?

Pleng said:
What's the name of the game? And does it feature an in-cockpit viewpoint?

I believe ED said it was in the need for speed family...looks to me like this one :

underground 2

As for cockpit view, I don't see one...but porsche unleashed for gba has one. I've really enjoyed it...has a surprisingly decent feel for a psuedo-3d, hand held racer:

porsche unleashed

Maybe I missed it being mentioned. What emulator was used for the GBA emulation video? What kind of scaling was used?

WizardStan said:
ED said gbapsp, but I think he meant gpSP.

A native build or through ginge? The reason I was curious is because a native build would allow you to scale the 240x160 image by 3 to 720x480.

pder said:
WizardStan said:
ED said gbapsp, but I think he meant gpSP.

A native build or through ginge? The reason I was curious is because a native build would allow you to scale the 240x160 image by 3 to 720x480.
All we have is through ginge right now.

Back