One Vid Per Day - Discussion

second exodous said:
Eh, to each his own. He didn't show a lot of games, was Goldeneye the only game you were wanting to see? The Zelda part wasn't that spectacular but he said it will be fixed as in early releases it was full speed so I'm good.

GoldenEye wasn't the only game I wanted to see in action, but it was the game I wanted to see in action the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue Protoman said:
second exodous said:
Eh, to each his own. He didn't show a lot of games, was Goldeneye the only game you were wanting to see? The Zelda part wasn't that spectacular but he said it will be fixed as in early releases it was full speed so I'm good.

GoldenEye wasn't the only game I wanted to see in action, but it was the game I wanted to see in action the most.
It's completely unplayable with sound and slightly less (but still very much) unplayable without sound. Not the best quality (cell phone), but they're videos nonetheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Yx9Fa3Mrk (w/ sound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F9PuB-PZ88 (w/o sound)

thank you for those wideos as it really puts it in perspective of just how great ED's wideos are

Blue Protoman said:
Thanks, Azure. Much appreciated. Oh well. How often is Mupen updated, anyway?

From my impressions reading the developer thread and beta testing thread, the amount of work that can be done is minimal. Ari64 makes regular updates to the dynarec and Adventus' work on the gles2n64 plugin that gives us hardware acceleration for the graphics is as far as I know complete. So it's not a case, like most of the other emulators, that it's not optimised for the Pandora, because it is. That's not to say there won't be future improvements, just I've got the impression that most of the things that can be done, have been done.

some work can alreay be done on the gles2n64 but on CPU side just correction no more speed can be done

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53683-mupen64plus/page__view__findpost__p__923635

Wow, the remote desktop video was brilliant, but I really, really wanted to see how games would play. But ED didn't launch any :(

lobski said:
Wow, the remote desktop video was brilliant, but I really, really wanted to see how games would play. But ED didn't launch any :(
I agree, the video was really nice.

Most games would be way too slow. Only simple games that update the screen locally might be playable (e.g. minesweeper).

Dead1nside said:
Blue Protoman said:
Thanks, Azure. Much appreciated. Oh well. How often is Mupen updated, anyway?

From my impressions reading the developer thread and beta testing thread, the amount of work that can be done is minimal. Ari64 makes regular updates to the dynarec and Adventus' work on the gles2n64 plugin that gives us hardware acceleration for the graphics is as far as I know complete. So it's not a case, like most of the other emulators, that it's not optimised for the Pandora, because it is. That's not to say there won't be future improvements, just I've got the impression that most of the things that can be done, have been done.

Does this mean that compatibility will rise, but speed won't?

If my understanding of the various snippets is right then your likely correct in your view. Its possible the DSP isnt being fully used yet (despite the coding being in place)until a newer kernel but it would appear that bar compatibility changes, it maybe at the wall already with the titles that do work.

The last two videos(multitasking & Sega) made the waiting so much harder. I've been kinda out of the loop for a few months now, I had no idea that it could do 32x that well!

I dont know if I should thank you or be mad at you ED, I have finally been able to focus on other things than the Pandora and now you drag me back to the waiting game with your oh so tasty and wonderful videos :)

I just know that this is the beginning of yet another period of me checking the boards for new bits of info multiple times each day(I don't post much, but trust me I spend way to much time on the boards)

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the videos ED and keep up the great work!
It is very much appreciated even if some of us sometimes doesn't thank you properly like we should.

PS man is it tedious to type on a phone. Guess in two months I don't have to bother with this horrible on screen keyboard :)

After seeing the multitasking video from ED. It made me wonder if the emulators/games can run in a windowed mode so you don't have to quit the game if you want to do a quick look on the internet? Or are all the games locked into fullscreen?

No emulators or games I've used so far have a Windowed mode.

Pleng said:
No emulators or games I've used so far have a Windowed mode.

Would be nice if there was some sort of application switcher when playing games so that we have full multitasking even there ;) :D.

When running an emulator, press and hold the Pandora logo button for 4 seconds. This will force the emulator into a window (an 800x480 window that you can't resize, but a window nonetheless) and opens a kill dialog. Ignore the kill dialog, minimize the emulator window, switch tasks, do whatever you need to do. When you're done, go back to the kill dialog and cancel it, and then bring back the emulator window: it'll re-fullscreen itself after a second or two and you can go back to playing. I've done this a few times when I needed to lookup something on the internet while playing.

WizardStan said:
When running an emulator, press and hold the Pandora logo button for 4 seconds. This will force the emulator into a window (an 800x480 window that you can't resize, but a window nonetheless) and opens a kill dialog. Ignore the kill dialog, minimize the emulator window, switch tasks, do whatever you need to do. When you're done, go back to the kill dialog and cancel it, and then bring back the emulator window: it'll re-fullscreen itself after a second or two and you can go back to playing. I've done this a few times when I needed to lookup something on the internet while playing.

Seems a bit hacky but good to know nonetheless.

Back