Ok... What Happened?

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site
Its the middle of september, did the firmware writing guys die or something? I thought 2.1 was going to be pushed out in july... hmm... Im just getting a bit antsy with no news at all or updates. Or anything.

PSyMastR posted on Sep 6 2006 at 09:31 PM said:
Its the middle of september, did the firmware writing guys die or something? I thought 2.1 was going to be pushed out in july... hmm... Im just getting a bit antsy with no news at all or updates. Or anything.
Also a lot of development slowed down....I thought it would have had a jump during summer... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OMars posted on Sep 6 2006 at 10:34 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Sep 6 2006 at 09:31 PM said:
Also a lot of development slowed down....I thought it would have had a jump during summer... ;)

Slowed down? I guess you haven't tried gmenu2x, the newest MAME (2.6), clonk2x, 2xword, the new VICE update, etc ...

As for the firmware, it broke the MMU hack, and they're working on fixing it before they release the newest FW.

(There's a skinpreviewer/changer thingy put out by GPH themselves, which gives you a preview of sorts to the new FW features ... but I guess you didn't read about that either <_< )

subcon959 posted on Sep 7 2006 at 12:54 PM said:
Bear in mind it's not a skin maker at all.. no idea why they called it that.

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1787

It is a skin maker. It makes skin files that work with firmware 2.1.

Because 2.1 is not available, the function that constructs the <skin>.gps file has been disabled.

I don't know, but seems like GPH are up to a very big thing, no one is answering the support on their bulletin board, they didn't make any announcements since a very long time, and add to this they still haven't even removed that annoying GC Germany pop up they have on their home page although it ended a while ago (maybe they have just sold their one hundred thousand GP2X unit and are celebrating and lazying on some beach :p )

You are probably setting yourself up for a letdown like that. GPH takes ages to do the tiniest things.. I mean, their most recent 'announcement' despite being publicized as a 'Skin creator' is just a Windows build of the GP2X Menu binary from the '2x firmware. It's an SDL application, that takes about 20 seconds to open your editor, and compile/link. All they did was map the keyboard keys to the GP2X buttons (very very easy). In fact I think they've been mapped all along... it was brought up in the very early days of the GP2X.

You must be mad :p I have had a hectic summer and come back here to check things out and there's loads of new stuff. Shame about a few things like that Zelda thing and payback still not released and I am really skint now after going to a friends wedding, taking kids out on day trips, drinking , you know the usual summer stuff :D

The point isn't that the community is quiet on releases-- it isn't. GPH has been. They promised new firmware in mid-July. It's now September and no sign of it except for a beta only select developers got. And all they'll show us is some menu options, as though that really does us any good .. looks like the MMU hack is not being implemented at kernel level like Craig said it was, too. Otherwise there'd be a control to turn it on/off as he mentioned, which there isn't in this menu preview.

Well, the Skin Maker looks extremely cool, and Im gunna play with that. Its also setup for many different languages, so thats cool too.

The current firmware is fine. sure, there are a couple things that would be nice, but it's not necessary. Everything works great as-is. The thing that's annoying is that people feel like they're owed firmware updates. I really don't care how long they take. If they never came out with another firmware, i'd still be really happy with it. And I'm still using the GP2x first edition!

maybe gph is not doing so well??? wish someone could get some info from an official there to make sure they arent going out of bussiness or something as bad.

BobBorakovitz posted on Sep 8 2006 at 02:15 AM said:
maybe gph is not doing so well??? wish someone could get some info from an official there to make sure they arent going out of bussiness or something as bad.
Nah, GP2X sales have been quite good. I just don't think they have much idea of what they're doing. :p

Each firmware update has brought advantages, and also stopped some games from working as well - eg sound issues with some games in firmware 2.0.0. In Wolfenstein 3D, the sound is slightly choppier, and it pauses a few seconds when saving a game, and takes longer to do so than in firmware 1.4.

If the firmware is likely to be re-written, ouch - that could mean that some/most/all current software for the GP2x may not work at all, or introduce further issues. I think we need assurances that this isn't going to be the case!

Rei Yano posted on Sep 8 2006 at 09:15 AM said:

GPH were on a trip through Europe, visiting the Games Convention, the IFA, some distributors, etc.
They are doing well, no worries here.

Payback is nearly finished, all speech has been recorded and editing is near finished.
It should be finished within this month.

Last edited:
Back