Oidzone Gp2x

Here's the dos version.
OidZone 2007

Works good under dosbox on the pc. (I've been playing it all day to remember what I did back then)
I haven't tried it on dosbox for the gp2x. :lol: I wrote it on a dx2-66 back in 1997.

The gp2x version will be similar. The backgrounds will be prettier and the ship is a little bigger and brighter.

berighteous said:
Here's the dos version.
OidZone 2007

Works good under dosbox on the pc. (I've been playing it all day to remember what I did back then)
I haven't tried it on dosbox for the gp2x. :lol: I wrote it on a dx2-66 back in 1997.

The gp2x version will be similar. The backgrounds will be prettier and the ship is a little bigger and brighter.

sweet thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a new demo where you can fly around and blast the oids.
OidZone Test 7
Keys
left and right joystick turns
up joystick or B key thrusts
down arrow or A key hyperspaces
X button shoots

Ignore the numbers, they are telling me the states of certain variables. The red number at the top of the game window is counting the number of tiny oids destroyed so far. There are 24 of them total, so when the counter hits 24 you start a new level.

When you get destroyed a new ship enters the oidzone in the lower right corner.

There's no enemies yet. They should go in in the next couple of days.
Let me know what you think.

thanx

Here's the newest playable demo. This one is pretty neat.

OidZone Demo 8

Changes since this morning's version:
*I rerendered the ship, thrusters, shields. SWEET!
*Doubled the amount of ship angles. It's very smooth now.
*Added automated shields when you reenter the oidzone after your ship is destroyed.
*Turned off collisions during hyperspace.
*a bunch of other stuff happening behind the scenes.

Controls
Left right joystick left and right
up joystick or B button thrust
down joystick or A button hyperspace
X button shoot.

all other buttons exit.

Notes
Scoring isn't in yet. Ignore the counting numbers, they're telling me variable values. There are no enemies in yet, and there's no end to the game. You have infinite lives.

enjoy!

predatorramboxxx said:
berighteous said:
Here's the dos version.
OidZone 2007

sweet thanks...

Now we`ll soon have a version for Dosbox!

Good luck on finishing your game, but I don`t think I will buy it. (Not that big Asteroids fan).
But it looks nice so far.

As for the discussion about commercial or free, as long as I code for myself for the 2X and have my job to make a living, I`ll be just making free homebrew. In fact, I love free homebrew! I would make children with it right now!

I couldn't get it to run under dosbox on the gp2x. If you can, post the configuration files. I'd love to see it running. I'm betting it would be s-l-o-w. The new gp2x version is already WAY better looking, and plays pretty good so far.

berighteous said:

I couldn't get it to run under dosbox on the gp2x. If you can, post the configuration files. I'd love to see it running. I'm betting it would be s-l-o-w. The new gp2x version is already WAY better looking, and plays pretty good so far.

dude the demo rocks... just have the score board a little smaller if you can becuase it would be more fun having a bigger game play screen good work i will buy this.

Here's the latest playable demo for the gp2x and pc

OidZone Playable Demo 10

Joystick left and right turns
joystick up or B thrusts
joystick down or A hyperspaces
X Shoots

This one has the saucers who deploy swarm mines.
The identical demo for the new PC version is in here for kicks. It uses the arrow keys and space bar to play.

From now on I'm going to post the latest executables on the first post of this thread so you can find them easier. I'm finishing up other projects so there won't be another demo for a few days. Then I'm going to see if I can get the Title screen, about info, scoring, and start of the game to work.

berighteous said:

OidZone Playable Demo 10

joystick up or B thrusts
X Shoots

The identical demo for the new PC version is in here for kicks. It uses the arrow keys and space bar to play.

From now on I'm going to post the latest executables on the first post of this thread so you can find them easier. I'm finishing up other projects so there won't be another demo for a few days. Then I'm going to see if I can get the Title screen, about info, scoring, and start of the game to work.

sweet thanks....

predatorramboxxx said:
berighteous said:

OidZone Playable Demo 10

joystick up or B thrusts
X Shoots

sweet thanks....

ohh put this on the archive but beware u might get a ton of negative feeback or you may be treated liek a king depends how ppl like it

predatorramboxxx, you might want to NOT quote entire messages multiple times in your replies...makes this thread kinda hard to read. :lol:

I'm not going to clutter the archive with these demos. When I have a full beta ready to test I'll add it.

You don't have to clutter, when you release a new version, you simply remove the old one and replace it with the new one :)

Hi, I gave demo 10 a go on my 2X, here's some impressions:

Get rid of the copyright notice. That's the kind of info fit for an about menu, not for the game screen!

When your ship is exploding, you naturally cannot shoot new bullets by pressing B, however you can still produce the shooting sound effect.

The UFOs and the little bombs they shoot are very visible, but the asteroids could be a bit more vibrant. Now they kind of blend with the background

I would personally do away with the animated logo on the game screen, as it can be distracting. It would work well on a title screen though.

I like the bigger, brighter ship, that's a definite improvement.

Thanx! Everything is dark on the gp2x screen. I've already had to brighten all the artwork up quite a bit, but there still needs some tweaking.

In the next version the shots are animated and slightly bigger, so it's easier to hit the tiny swarm mines. Also some of the other enemies make their appearances. I'm working on geting the shields to work properly. When shields are up, you should bounce off the Oids.

good point on you shouldn't be able to shoot while you're exploding! :lol:

I fixed the shots not being destroyed thing too.

The copyright notice is a placeholder for an animation telling the player the controls. It will be replaced in the next version. I wasn't sure what the controls would be when I put it in.

How is the control?

I think the control is fine, works well. It's great you didn't rely on the joystick exclusively except for turning :)

Alex. said:
I think the control is fine, works well. It's great you didn't rely on the joystick exclusively except for turning :)
yeah. I thought it was a neat idea to have all the controls on the joystick, but in practice it doesn't work all that well. I usually fly joystick only, but the buttons are more responsive with thrusting and hyperspacing.

BTW I didn't mention that the joystick button hyperspaces too. I dunno how useful that is, but it works. Thankfully, Game editor makes it a total no brainer to switch the controls around. I just select the control and hit the key on the keyboard to map it. Set it and forget it. I had one version that used the shoulder buttons to turn. It wasn't that useful at the time, but I may revisit the idea. Shoulder buttons to turn and regular buttons to thrust fire and hyperspace? :blink:

Here's the latest playable demo for the gp2x

OidZone Playable Demo 12

joystick up or B thrusts
joystick down or joystick button or A hyperspaces
X Shoots

This one has 3 different enemies, bigger animated shots, brighter oids, and some other stuff.

berighteous said:
Thanx! Everything is dark on the gp2x screen. I've already had to brighten all the artwork up quite a bit, but there still needs some tweaking.
Looks like someone is going to need colourd!

Back