Oidzone Gp2x

This is a tricky one...

Wind and Water is being sold commercially, but Skeezix's game isn#t. From what I have seen Skeezix's could be.

But WaW is so polished, so much work done that I for one am more than happy to pay for it. I wouldn't want to pay any more for it than I am paying, but to support SUCH talent then it's great. Skeezix's game, I would also pay for. But yours I won't, because you have made it with an editor and claim that it is so easy etc. Why? Dunno.

I sort of agree with AS N, and the "This is so not GP2x" comment. If every homebrew was sold for profit then we would die. But if someone puts such effort and is so talented etc. then paying for that etc quality pushes the whole scene forward. I think you have got people's backs up because you came here saying how easy it is to code with this software and want to be paid still. If the end result is utterly fantastic then sell it. But it is the way you went about it.

WaW had a demo, the authors came here saying they were writing something special, released a demo. People played and found out that it was special and a buzz developed. You have just got it wrong!

But if the end result is amazing, then you will win the competition and we can all praise you to the skies. I would keep a bit quieter and let your product to the talking!

Hope this is fair. The balance between amateur coders releasing their work for the love of it, and the odd few commercial games is what makes this scene so special. I donate when I like something, and I want this to continue.

A difficult situation, people should be paid for work done. But it's a balance...

I didn't come on here to tout anything. I think Game Editor is a tool to make gp2x programming accessible to more than just the elites. I didn't say "ooh look how great I am gimmie money I spent 2 days doing something." Someone asked me what it would sell for, and I said, "well, I've only been working at it a couple days so far, but I would imagine it would be in the $9.99 range, but I'd be happy to have it cheap. "

Then everybody dogpiled on me. All I did was post a demo of what I'm working on and let people know that Game Editor is a nifty tool for doing gp2x things.

Serious development is serious development no matter what the platform is. I think any tool that makes the gp2x more accessible to people is a good thing.

My website is www.berighteous.com It's out ministry and video production studio website. I don't have a gp2x area yet, as I'm just beginning on this thing and and I think posting in a thread on here is enough for now. Once I have a playable demo I'll probably put something on the web site.

Here's another demo... This one is noisier. OZDemo2.zip

This one has the ship flying around at the various angles, with the swarm mines chasing it (they course correct towards the ship every 10 frames) and the ship explodes when it gets hit by an oid, and reappears somewhere else. It's mostly just to make sure the ship moves in the direction it's sprite is pointing. I removed the about text so you can see what's happening.

The ship and some of the other things are still too dark on the gp2x. I'm going to brighten them before the next demo.

enjoy!

wow... this is exactly what I am getting sick of on the gp32x.de boards. Give the dude some slack and play a demo of his game when he is done. Who knows what his game will be like then... if you don't like it then... well don't buy it. FFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty simple really; myself, I have no prolem with how its developed (low level, high level, whatever) -- its all about end content. The problem is simple how you presented it. I make a living on shareware commercial, so I know how this works better than probably everyone :)

You mentioned "commercial" and "2days" and other schtuff; that insults everyone. Its like saying "here, I can glue this on that and sell it" .. and thats how thousands of companies make a living every day. But they don't go advertising the fact :)

So in the end all tht matters is content, and how it stacks up. All the power, sell it, feel free.

But don't tell people "I wrote this in 3 hours, now give me $30", you instead say "feature list" and "$30" and people can work it out.

Remember, theres a lot of talented people here; a lot of the really good homebrew is done by people who do things on other platforms, but release for gp2x since its just a homebrew only console. To sell things in a open source and free software environment, you have to be respectful, classy, and liked :)

Now, on the othe rhand.. you're just being excited. Thats good :) But you've made a classic blunder, and we're calling you on it. Call it a 'bloody nose' learning experience, like Cameran Diaz wearing a bag that says "serve the people", not knowing that was the slogan of a people who killed 70,000 people in the area she travelled. Easy mistake, but fatal to your goal :)

jeff

i don't think he said the game took 2 days to write, he said that he spend a lot of time a long time ago on it, but now he's porting it, and with 2 days of hard work he's got a port that's worthy of an alpha demo or something.

rokdcasbah said:
i don't think he said the game took 2 days to write, he said that he spend a lot of time a long time ago on it, but now he's porting it, and with 2 days of hard work he's got a port that's worthy of an alpha demo or something.
Exactly! I was just saying "look what Game Editor can do for us. Pretty neat huh?" and that in just a couple days I'm at the same point it too me a solid month to get to in 1996 writing the pc game from scratch.

Demo looks ok, nice smooth animation. Sound could be better though, maybe better to choose another kind of music.

berighteous said:
I spent about 400 hours writing and playtesting the original game from scratch.
Oh, that's nothing, I spent 15,600 hours working on Run Hitler, Run!

Anyways, you must be from Utah, cause you're a Moron.

:lol:

I am sticking here to skeezix point of view. Let him finish the game (a hard enough task) und sell it if he wishes to. We will see. WaW was done by dedicated people that worked hard with much love to the games and platform, that one is worth every cent!

b._.o._.b said:
Demo looks ok, nice smooth animation. Sound could be better though, maybe better to choose another kind of music.
Thanx!

It's getting there. The music doesn't actually play through the game. It's just the title music. I just wanted something in the background while the demo was going. There are quite a few sound effects that need to go in.

I had to make the ship bigger and brighter. It was just too small to see/play with on the gp2x screen. I think the rest of the art is ok size, but the ship was getting lost in the background. I have the ship controls in now, I can fly turn and steer, and the thruster sounds are in.

Next on my list to work on today:
1) re-rendering the ship in the new size ( I did a quick scale in photoshop of all the art, and it looks ok, but I really need to go back and render the ship in the right size.
2)Scale and render the thruster, shield, and cloaked ship animations
3)Charge up the Pulse Canon so I can blast some oids.

I have a question. I noticed the very smooth animation in the asteroids from the first demo, and now you mention the word 'render'. Do you manually animate all those things, or do you use a modeling program and render the model at different angles?

It's a good idea to increase the ship's brightness, it kind of blended into the background until now. Don't make it too large though, it would be nice to be able to maneuver through all those asteroids :D Speaking of backgrounds, will there be different ones?

To all the people who bad mouthed this guy: just think of all those direct ports of Pocket PC games like those 'Powered by Edge' things, and note how their devs didn't even take the time to meet and great this community. Let this guy do his thing, for an early build Oidzone looks great, and as berighteous said, he didn't set the price in stone.

All the objects and animations were created in 3D Studio (the dos version!) and massaged into an 8 bit custom palette for use in the vga game. The asteroid has 30 animation frames and looks like this:
Oid.gif

In the game I cut up the picture into the animation frames and animate it as it flies around. Each asteroid chooses a start frame in the animation when it's created so they are all on different animation frames at any given time.

All of the objects in the game (and most of the game messages) are put together like that. I think I'm somewhere around 250 animation frames. The asteroid has the most frames. Most everything else has 10 frames. The ship has 6 images for every angle - regular, shields and cloaked, either thrusting or not thrusting.

I may add more art once the game is playable if won't distract. It's hard to say until I get there. This is my first time developing for such a small screen.

I made the ship about 30% bigger. It's still smaller than the big asteroids, but you can see it better.
I have it popping the asteroids now. I decided that the smallest asteroids would be destroyed in the ship explosion if the hit it, but the bigger ones wouldn't.

Other nebulas? yes. I have a different one each 4 or 5 levels. Here's a couple of them:
BKGR4.GIF
BKGR2.GIF

berighteous said:
All the objects and animations were created in 3D Studio (the dos version!) and massaged into an 8 bit custom palette for use in the vga game. The asteroid has 30 animation frames and looks like this:
Oid.gif

In the game I cut up the picture into the animation frames and animate it as it flies around. Each asteroid chooses a start frame in the animation when it's created so they are all on different animation frames at any given time.

All of the objects in the game (and most of the game messages) are put together like that. I think I'm somewhere around 250 animation frames. The asteroid has the most frames. Most everything else has 10 frames. The ship has 6 images for every angle - regular, shields and cloaked, either thrusting or not thrusting.

I may add more art once the game is playable if won't distract. It's hard to say until I get there. This is my first time developing for such a small screen.

I made the ship about 30% bigger. It's still smaller than the big asteroids, but you can see it better.
I have it popping the asteroids now. I decided that the smallest asteroids would be destroyed in the ship explosion if the hit it, but the bigger ones wouldn't.

Other nebulas? yes. I have a different one each 4 or 5 levels. Here's a couple of them:
BKGR4.GIF
BKGR2.GIF
wow this is actually pretty cool! i like the backgrounds and i like how you made everything from scratch which to me is very cool and is very orginal. good work cant way to play the playable demo

Back