Need Testers For Gp2x Port Of Thruster

Vilmos

Website
Visit site
I need a few people to beta test my GP2X version of Thruster. This is my first attempt at a GP2X game so I'd like a few people who know more about the GP2X to give it a test run before I post it. I hate posting a game to find 5 minutes later that something major is missing or broken! :p

You can get an idea of the game by checking the Zodiac announcement HERE

Send me a PM with your email or you can try to catch me on MSN messenger vilmos_@hotmail dot com

There's still a bit of work to finish the game off, but it is fully playable right now.

Thanks!

Judging by the pictures this seems to be the color version of spout.
Even though I like the abstract atittude of spout I would like to give this one a shot.

Thanks! Nice to know there are some spout fans here. I was inspired by Spout to make a more current game out of it. This game is the basic version, what was available at the deadline of the (sadly defunct) dcemu competition.

Since it is a port of my own work I really just wanted to see if it worked on other people's GP2X's and not just mine. :D

Perhaps I should have called it a sneak peek. Anyway I'll send a preview link to those who responded so they can try it out and let me know of any last minute problems. If nothing else comes up then I'll post the game publicly tomorrow.

Note: Winace stripped out the empty hiscore folder from the zip. If you got the preview and hiscore and replay isn't working just make a directoy called HiScore under the main executable dir and it will work. This has been fixed now.

Vilmos posted on Feb 16 2007 at 10:35 PM said:
I need a few people to beta test my GP2X version of Thruster. This is my first attempt at a GP2X game so I'd like a few people who know more about the GP2X to give it a test run before I post it. I hate posting a game to find 5 minutes later that something major is missing or broken! :p

You can get an idea of the game by checking the Zodiac announcement HERE

Send me a PM with your email or you can try to catch me on MSN messenger vilmos_@hotmail dot com

There's still a bit of work to finish the game off, but it is fully playable right now.

Thanks!

Wow that looks awesome :) I loved Spout and this looks like a sort of "Spout DX" that I had imagined awhile back, only better. Even the ship shape is similar (although I had the particles out of the wrong end) , you read my mind :p http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...12938&st=90

One thing I would suggest is to make the background pic expandable by users (so we can add more, change, etc). I tend to like the darker backgrounds as the light ones are a bit distracting.

Can't wait to play this one. This will rock. Thanks for the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried it and it is a great version. Man do I suck at it though. I need alot of practice ;)

Nice and professional quality.

Thanks Vilmos.

Same basic idea as Spout, but since none of the code is from Spout you can't automatically transfer over the skillz. :p

If you find the game too slow try Adrenaline mode where your max velocity is higher than your thrust...lots of wipeout fun there. Heheh.

I need some practice on this as well, I'm terrible with the gp2x stick.

Vilmos posted on Feb 17 2007 at 04:00 PM said:
Same basic idea as Spout, but since none of the code is from Spout you can't automatically transfer over the skillz. :p

If you find the game too slow try Adrenaline mode where your max velocity is higher than your thrust...lots of wipeout fun there. Heheh.

Too slow :blink: I thought that it was a bit too fast, which is why it is tougher. I think the ship needs a bit more mass. I remember in spout if the ship was falling you had to really lay on the thrust to avoid hitting the ground because of inertia. Likewise you could thrust more in different directions without propelling into a wall.

I think increased mass would help with the stick too as it wouldn't be as "twitchy". I don't know if you have the older M1 verson. The stick on those is harder to use because of diagonal bias. Since the rotation is only left and right you may want to consider making more of the switches register. Like diagonals and ordinals on the entire right half would produce a "rotate right". For me it doesn't matter as I have a d-pad on mine :p

DaveC posted on Feb 17 2007 at 01:57 PM said:
Vilmos posted on Feb 17 2007 at 04:00 PM said:

Too slow :blink: I thought that it was a bit too fast, which is why it is tougher. I think the ship needs a bit more mass. I remember in spout if the ship was falling you had to really lay on the thrust to avoid hitting the ground because of inertia. Likewise you could thrust more in different directions without propelling into a wall.

I think increased mass would help with the stick too as it wouldn't be as "twitchy". I don't know if you have the older M1 verson. The stick on those is harder to use because of diagonal bias. Since the rotation is only left and right you may want to consider making more of the switches register. Like diagonals and ordinals on the entire right half would produce a "rotate right". For me it doesn't matter as I have a d-pad on mine :p

Heh I do have the older MK1 with an awful stick. This is why I did make it so right, upright and downright will rotate, and the same with left. It is handy that up/down don't do anything.

Thruster has a different feel than Spout, which is good! No reason to dump Spout, just more variety now. Since I plan more game modes anyway I can put one in with less gravity for you. There isn't mass just acceleration and gravity. Well ok the mass is 1 and is factored out. :p

So what you are saying is I should add a mode with less gravity and acceleration? Lots of options there. I had intended to make the variables accessible in the options menu. The problem is that replays won't work then. I'd have to add a custom mode that lets you mess with all the variables.

Hmm, lots to do still to finish this game. :lol:

Edit: Forgot to add that my current hiscore is 9834 with a height of 1720. My Zodiac hiscore is aroung 40K so I need more practice here. That is the problem with porting it, I haven't really playtested the gp2x version much!

Vilmos posted on Feb 17 2007 at 07:26 PM said:
Heh I do have the older MK1 with an awful stick. This is why I did make it so right, upright and downright will rotate, and the same with left. It is handy that up/down don't do anything.

So what you are saying is I should add a mode with less gravity and acceleration? Lots of options there. I had intended to make the variables accessible in the options menu. The problem is that replays won't work then. I'd have to add a custom mode that lets you mess with all the variables.

Hmm, lots to do still to finish this game. :lol:

Edit: Forgot to add that my current hiscore is 9834 with a height of 1720. My Zodiac hiscore is aroung 40K so I need more practice here. That is the problem with porting it, I haven't really playtested the gp2x version much!

MK1? Hmm I think you need a D-pad mod.

Less gravity would mean more "float". That might work. Less acceleration would make it a bit more forgiving so that could work.

Another option is to make a beta version with those adjustments in a .cfg file. Testers and you could fiddle around to get the best feel. Then these settings could be implemented in the final version. You could also in the final version give a choice of 4 or 5 setting combos or something if you don't want to make settings infinite.

Also another option would be to allow a user definable key config. Users could then bind buttons of choice to functions instead of the dodgy stick. For one example A could be rot left, y could be rot right, and L could be thrust.

Back