Oidzone Gp2x

berighteous

Hi Everybody!

As some of you know I'm waist deep in building our first commercial game for the gp2x. I'm really excited about the progress so far, so I wanted to give you all a sneak peek.

You can't do anything but watch it and exit, but the animation is pretty nifty, and works pretty good on the gp2x. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Here's a couple of gp2x screen shot
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot.jpg

unzip to your SD card and run from the game menu.
OidZone demo 1

I'm producing this game with Game Editor, and there still are some issues with gp2x export, which I'm working with the developer to fix. Sometimes the background music doesn't play and sometimes the animated sprites are leaving artifacts behind. (boo!) The PC exported file doesn't do this, so there probably is a bug in the gp2x exporter.

I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanx!

edit 7/17/07
Here's the latest playable demo for the gp2x

OidZone Playable Demo 12

Joystick left and right turns
joystick up or B thrusts
joystick down or A hyperspaces
X Shoots

This one has 3 different enemies, bigger animated shots, brighter oids, and some other stuff.

From now on I'm going to post the latest executables on the first post of this thread so you can find them easier.

berighteous said:
Hi Everybody!

As some of you know I'm waist deep in building our first commercial game for the gp2x. I'm really excited about the progress so far, so I wanted to give you all a sneak peek.

You can't do anything but watch it and exit, but the animation is pretty nifty, and works pretty good on the gp2x. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Here's a couple of gp2x screen shot
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot.jpg

unzip to your SD card and run from the game menu.
OidZone demo 1

I'm producing this game with Game Editor, and there still are some issues with gp2x export, which I'm working with the developer to fix. Sometimes the background music doesn't play and sometimes the animated sprites are leaving artifacts behind. (boo!) The PC exported file doesn't do this, so there probably is a bug in the gp2x exporter.

I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanx!

You said this is a commerical game so you are selling it right and through who? If your selling how much will it be? Will their be a playable demo soon? The graphics looks pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...I've been developing it hard for about 2 days now... I think there will be something playable in about a week or so. I'm like a little kid who can't keep a secret when I do these things. (midlife crisis? lol) Odds are I'll post every milestone for y'all to see.

I imagine it'll be in the $9.99 range. I'd be happy to have it cheap and have every gp2x owner get it. There will be a free demo version, and the full version with extra bells and whistles (shields, cloak, more enemies, etc.)

Dude.. first rule of making a buck online -- don't say "commercial" and "2 days" in the same breath.

jeff

Don't scoff! It's actually a pretty good tool for producing games for PC, gp2x, Linux, Pocket PC, HPC, and all the Windows Mobile-based smartphones. You create your game and just hit export and what you want to send it to.

I'm planning on 5 games initially, but I have source and art from when I did them for Dos 10 years ago. This has been very quick to get started on.

I think Game editor is a pretty sweet prototyping tool. You should play with it. Most of the other games I've seen done with it are pretty weak so far, but it doesn't have to be that way. In the hands of someone who takes it seriously, it'll do pretty amazing things. It needs some real developers dong stuff to really shine.

This is a lot easier than the last time I wrote OidZone. In 1997 I developed it from scratch in Euphoria, designing the game engine from the ground up, sprite engine, virtual screens, simultaneous event processing, multi player scoring and record keeping, yadda yadda yadda. A lot of nifty multi dimensional sequencing. The language had no graphic libraries or anything more than drawing a rectangular block of pixels to the screen.

I even wrote a book on the game, and game engine.
ozbook.jpg
LGPGLOGO.JPG

When I got done I used the game engine to produce 4 other arcade games. If anybody is interested in the dos game I can give you download link.

BTW the art was created in 1996 with Autodesk Animator Pro and Autodesk 3D Studio. I spent all day yesterday trying to find AAPro from my ancient flaky backup cdroms, so I could rebuild the font I used so I could import it into GameEditor. Was pulling my hair out for awhile, but I got it working finally. It looks like this:
ALPHABET10.gif

Game editors don't suck, but the people that use them usually do. Someone with a good understanding of game design can create just as good a game using an editor as they could using C. In fact lets face it - the vast majority of commercial games these days have virtually no gameplay at all, and none of those were created using editors.

you people are so funny!

I have to run autodesk animator in dosbox on my pc. S-l-o-w. But it worked enough to do what I needed. All is happiness now!

hahahaha, wait, is it a fucking joke? some guy made some crappy asteroids clone with a game editor in a couple of days and wants to sell it for $10?? hahaha, no fucking way! lol, that guy's incredible.

If you're gonna sell that for $10 I'm gonna sell Run Hitler, Run! for $29.99! :lol:

The stuff I sell for $10 has thousands of hours invested into it, is all I know :) An asteroids clone can be good, and retro is classy .. consider all the retro action on Virtual Console, and XBoxLiveArcade, not to mention here.

But make sure its worth it.. don't demean yourself and customers by saying 'look how easy it is, but I want cash' :)

edit: Besides, devil is in the details; my latest game (sent to GBAX for _free_) took a week to get going initially, and then about 4 months of tweaking and slavering to get it where I wanted it; tweaking details is hell, and takes up enormous time. A game editor might save a lot of that by having already tuned code, where-as I wrote mine from ground up. People notice the details that you've slaved over months for :) But my point is.. its all about the end target; make it good, make it cloassy, make it worth peoples time to buy, and it'll sell. But don't hold a carrot in front of them.. its insulting :)

(sorry, point might be screwy as I'm typing withy a baby in the lap :)

One thign to note.. an asteroids clone is up against every SNES and Genesis etc game out there, on this platform ;)

jeff

xampi said:
This is so, not GP2x
i kinda of agree up top what their saying you cant expect people buying an asteroid like game. I mean there is so many of those type of games on for systems like the gp2x gp32 and zoidac for free. Do you have a website? I am not trying to be mean or sarcastic anything like that. This games does look cool and fun. You should listen to what people like skeezix are saying.

That really all depends on the final content of the game, you could say that about any genre really. Providing the game has professional values and has something new to make it stand out I see no reason why it shouldn't be a commercial game. Admitedly I think you should of held off releasing any info until you had more to show but I can understand being excited about your own project.

Man you guys are harsh! I have no idea why. I think the demo is pretty cool for what it is. If you don't well, sorry. :lol: Just trying to share.

I spent about 400 hours writing and playtesting the original game from scratch. I think it's nifty to have a tool that saves a lot of that time doing the port. I expect it to take about another 100 hours to get it to a playable beta, and then who knows how long tweaking the gameplay for the handheld. Should be fun.

I think right now I'm at about hour 34 in the port. I had to rework some of the art to make it fit the 320x240 screen. And Game Editor doesn't rescale the sprites, so I needed to make new scaled versions of all the animation frames of all the enemies and asteroids. Looks pretty sweet on the GP2X.

You could enter a 3 level demo into the GBAX comp (and later sell the full version). Even a 1 level demo in the GBAX comp would be free advertising for you (and if you win something, even better).

Hope it goes well, the game does look good.

berighteous said:
Man you guys are harsh! I have no idea why. I think the demo is pretty cool for what it is. If you don't well, sorry. :lol: Just trying to share.

I spent about 400 hours writing and playtesting the original game from scratch. I think it's nifty to have a tool that saves a lot of that time doing the port. I expect it to take about another 100 hours to get it to a playable beta, and then who knows how long tweaking the gameplay for the handheld. Should be fun.

I think right now I'm at about hour 34 in the port. I had to rework some of the art to make it fit the 320x240 screen. And Game Editor doesn't rescale the sprites, so I needed to make new scaled versions of all the animation frames of all the enemies and asteroids. Looks pretty sweet on the GP2X.
i dont think people are being harsh i think people dont wont to pay for it. i think the game is cool but i dont think i would pay for it. you should enter your game in that competition. btw whats your website/blog?

Back