Ohboy Caanoo Port

Ohboy is a menu system for Gnuboy (They are separate projects, but are compiled into the same executable. I think they use different inputs.
There is caanoo specific code for the joystick in OhBoy, but there isn't in Gnuboy.
I increased the deadzones for Ohboy from 16384 to 24000 (values are fron 0 to 32768), to make the menu controls a bit better, but those changes only work for the menu, not when playing.
I've searched in the gnuboy code, but haven't found any code for joystick or deadzones.

OK thank you so much for the reply. Not all games have problems, its mainly puzzle games and RPG's and stuff from what I can tell. I'm just glad my thumbstick isn't broken like I thought it was.

Hopefully there will be a way to solve this problem, but if not, I will still be happy with all the other emulators I have for Caanoo and will be pleased enough with OhBoy as it is. Thanks for all the hard work.

BTW, i've done a new release. You can download it at http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,768

Enjoy!

cool, but is it possible to add a "quick scroll through roms" with L and R ?

yes, but for some reason, i get some graphic bugs in the menu when doing this (and a crash sometimes)... i will keep trying.

darklight1138 said:
Also, it would be cool if the rom browser remembered your last position. Thanks!

A Gameboy emulator with deadzones would be nice too. Tetris is a bloody nightmare to play on the Caanoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a new release. The changes over the last build are:

(2011-11-01)
- Replaced old 1.5x upscaler(8bit color, slower) with Ayla's 1.5x upscaler (16bit color, faster).
- Improved menu responsiveness on Caanoo (not perfect yet, but much better).
- 3 new color palettes.
- Reworked other palettes.
- Now there is support for 3 Custom border packs.
- Default Border Packs included:
-------- Default "OhBoy".
-------- Classic Gameboy: Grey, Black, Yellow, Red, Blue, Green, Clear(Transparent).
-------- Gameboy Pocket: Silver, Black, Yellow, Red, Blue, Green, Clear(Transparent).
-------- Gameboy Color: Yellow, Blue, Green, Teal, Pink, AtomicPurple(Transparent).

gbbordersanimation.gif

Already submitted to openhandhelds. util they update it, you can download it here.

In ALL these "unofficial" releases a lot of GBC games works with serious graphics problems that the old version worked fine.

Oh, and there is one thing that's missing ( at least for me )//correct me if I'm wrong // : The colors you get when you put a GB card into a GBA/GBC.

@spnx: The colors you get when you put a GB card into a GBC are available as color palettes (in the palettes menu, the palettes from "Blue" to "Yellow") For example when switching on a GBC and pressing Left+A, GB games have the "Dark Blue" palette. When pressing Right+B, GB games have the "Inverted" palette, etc... Hope this helps you.

@wild rat: As you may know, OhBoy uses the Gnuboy emulation core. It is a known issue that gnuboy 1.0.5 has some compatibility problems with GBC games, but it is compatible with more GB games. The older version is 1.0.3, which is outdated since months ago.
I based all my "unofficial" builds on the official source, which is version 1.0.5. I am sorry, but that "serious graphic problems" are not my fault. You are not being forced to install this version. If you don't like it, you can always use an old version.

If you are not satisfied with the emulator, you can help to improve gnuboy, and submit fixes.
Here is the official gnuboy site: http://code.google.com/p/gnuboy/
And the official OhBoy site: http://code.google.com/p/ohboy/

Gnuboy development is currently stuck, due to the lack of people with knowledge about GB/GBC emulation.
Any help will be appreciated.

hi-ban said:
@spnx: The colors you get when you put a GB card into a GBC are available as color palettes (in the palettes menu, the palettes from "Blue" to "Yellow") For example when switching on a GBC and pressing Left+A, GB games have the "Dark Blue" palette. When pressing Right+B, GB games have the "Inverted" palette, etc... Hope this helps you.

OMG, I own GameBoy's since I'm 7 ... and I didn't know that o_O
I already tried every palatte.. but I just can't find the right one ...
Here is a photo of the game :

xkc5smzz.jpg

qwykfpdp.jpg

hi-ban said:
As you may know, OhBoy uses the Gnuboy emulation core. It is a known issue that gnuboy 1.0.5 has some compatibility problems with GBC games, but it is compatible with more GB games. The older version is 1.0.3, which is outdated since months ago.
I based all my "unofficial" builds on the official source, which is version 1.0.5. I am sorry, but that "serious graphic problems" are not my fault. You are not being forced to install this version. If you don't like it, you can always use an old version.

Thanks that clarified the situation. I really like the improvements in new versions, but I have to use the old, as in new one does not work half of my games.

spn-x said:
I already tried every palatte.. but I just can't find the right one ...
What color is that in the pics?
i would say it can be the Orange or Green palette, but not sure...

btw, that's a gameboy advance sp, not a gameboy color...

jlenoconel said:
So, which date was the last time an official build of this emulator was released?

20110812 is the last official build. But i recommend you to grab the latest unofficial build (20111101) as it has more features than the official version. Both are based on gnuboy 1.0.5, so the compatibility is exactly the same.

I have a problem with the new build of Ohboy. I overwrote the last official build with this one but it won't load stating that it's an invalid file. I had no problems with the official one. Any help would be good. :)

did you copy everything in the zip file into the "Game" folder?

Try renaming the "ohboy" folder to anything else and copying again.(fresh install)

Or maybe the downloaded file was somehow corrupted. there is a mirror in http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,768 if you want to download it again...

Newest Ohboy build (20120224): http://www.box.com/s/78n9uqhfh16jzvc7dytl

among other things, it adds fast-scrolling and scroll-looping in rom list.

Back