fishybawb

Hired Geek
Website
Visit site
Hello,

Here's a quick port of UBYTE's Gameboy emulator for the Caanoo:

Binary download
Source download

Extract the OhBoy folder and ini file to the "game" directory on your SD.

In menu controls:
B = Select
X = Back
Stick = Directional

In game controls:
A = Gameboy B
Y = Gameboy A
I = Start
II = Select
Home = Back to menu

Let me know if you run in to any problems :)

The A button acts as B and the Y button acts as A? WHY?

It should be XB=B/A, not A/Y=B/A

Anyhow I'll have to give this a try for sure.

This is pretty nice, but there's quirks too it.

First is the emulator menu is slow and unresponsive, there's a long irritating delay moving between selecting something on a list. It often freezes up after pressing enough inputs.
The actual menu is very nice looking though, very very nice.

Second is the lack of control configuration. I'd be much more comfortable using something such as A/X or X/B to input the Gameboy's A and B buttons.
A/Y should definitely NOT be the default in-game.

Thirdly is you can't change the clock speed, which WILL be supported in the updated caanoo firmware on Sept 15th (I have an advance update)
Although since this is only gameboy emulation is doesn't hurt much.

Finally, I don't know if it's just me needing to adjust to the caanoo or not, but it's difficult to play tetris on this emulator, when I press down I often find the tetromino shifting right instead. I think the directional input may need adjustments, like deadzones and diagonal tightness.
The diagonals are WAAAAY too loose on this, I push all the way down on the analogue stick, but a *slight* shift to the left or right makes it input a diagonal.
There's a total lack of dead zone, the slightest nudge of the analogue stick registers an input and that's not good. You should have a deadzone of about 50%

I'm loving the upscaler on the caanoo screen, it's beautiful, Scale3X+Sample .75x looks gorgeous.
I expect a few flaws like these on a quick release though, but this is a fine emulator! I hope you can fix these.

I have to agree on the lack of dead-zone, the slightest touch sets you in motion

Thank you very much for this :)

I also noticed that the controls need dead-zones, I tried Kriby and it was horrible.
Donkey Kong on the other hand was awesome.
On my Caanoo the OhBoy-menu lags quite a bit. Does anybody else get that?

Finally some Gameboy lovin on my Caanoo! Thank-you so very much!
Although, I, too, noticed the menu lag, but only on the in-game menu, not at the main screen/start up menu.

SONY said:
Damn! Tetris is 100 times harder (on the highest level) without a D-Pad...I guess GP Holdings didn't think about MK and Tetris games. :(

No no, that's just what happens when you don't put a deadzone on the analogue input.
If OhBoy has some deadzones put in then the controls will be MUCH better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your work, works great for a quick port. One quirk is, that the emulator crashes, when you try to load a zipped rom. According to the readme, it should work.

I didn't notice the control sensitivity in the games I tested, but when I get time I'll see what I can do about that and take a look at zipped ROMs too :)

fishybawb said:
I didn't notice the control sensitivity in the games I tested, but when I get time I'll see what I can do about that and take a look at zipped ROMs too :)

Keep up the great work ;)

Neither, but I was playing harvest moon 2, seems to work fine but that game doesn't support diagonals so that's probably why I didn't notice.

Here is a version of OHBoy with the correct a+b button mappings that rikku2000 did for me.
also start is mapped to the home button and select is mapped to the II button. Button I brings up the menu.

Now that firmware 1.0.6 has been released, Ohboy's controls are much better.
Playing tetris DX feels much more natural.

RupeeClock said:
Now that firmware 1.0.6 has been released, Ohboy's controls are much better.
Playing tetris DX feels much more natural.

Good to hear! that makes me happy! :)

i made some change to oh boy for caanoo and change the buttons configuration (for example:a= run x=jump for mario land 2) but im unable to compile with the caanoo sdk. i think its configurated correclty. thanks for help

My Wiz sdk is configurated with DEV-CC+ and works great. and i compile Tong homebrew with different speed and titles it work great !!
But my Caanoo sdk is configurated with Codeblocks, and i cant compile anything with gp2x caanoo project. it said nothing to compile everytime.

OR if someone want to compile my caanoo oh boy source for me i uploaded the file
THANKS

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7JN8IJ6I

note: i will reinstall codeblocks with caanoo sdk in a few days. i hope to get it working this time.

Back