Oh No Whate Have We Done, Tweet From Craig

BackAssward said:
Now, my only point is, that if the Pandora preorders have partially funded the development of the Pandora architecture (or more than half of it, more likely 75% +), then also the results of that, funded parts of this control pad too.

When people preordered they were only told they were doing so to get a Pandora. One they believed they'd be getting in a few weeks, but nonetheless, that's all it is. Open Pandora never outright said they were raising money for funding, and as such they don't owe anyone anything more than the Pandora they ordered. If people should have a problem with something then it should be that their money was being used for R&D without there being a call for it, rather than simply being used to pay for the parts of the Pandora.

Now, if we were talking about investments then that'd be something else, but no one was investing with the promise of dividends. Even if the people should feel entitled to something, what should OP give them when they weren't going to give them anything more than a Pandora to begin with? Should they get a free iControlPad too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
What I don't want to see is the iPhone scene getting their hands on these lovely controls before every first batch Pandora gets delivered.
Even though we don't own this stuff, I do feel like it's ours (and I reckon every first batcher will agree).

On the other hand, I'd like to see OP make a buttload of cash from side projects like this so they can invest more in Pandora's future. B)

Thanks for the fair response and reading my intent. I never thought the pre-orders were an an investment, but we did spend some money to help it be developed. If they can re-use the parts, great, but it cannot be denied that a year of pre-order of the Pandora helped the controlpad development.

I also want them to succeed and make cash on their investment.

As you said, I we would rather that the community got the Pandora before the iPhone people got the pad. Pandora will be shipping soonish (I hope), but will take a while to send them all.

craigix said:
The MP starts this month. The one in the photo is a little out of date, it's more finished off now.

The controlpad might ship sooner. :(

On a positive note, unless the picture is cut off, the controlpad had no keyboard. So there is one plus for the Pandora.

Gruso said:
I think that's a pretty logical assumption, and there's no reason for you to get flamed for saying it IMO.
Thanks for that, I have been wrong a few times, but flamed more often when I was just asking a question.

Might be a little late for this, but if you put a usb port on it it could be used as a stand alone controller for any device when not used with a ipod or iphone. Just a thought.

second exodous said:
Might be a little late for this, but if you put a usb port on it it could be used as a stand alone controller for any device when not used with a ipod or iphone. Just a thought.
MWeston indicated he might be open to adding Blue Tooth if it would actually work with the iPhone, but as an iPhone device, USB makes no sense. They aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. There are many usb controllers.

Remember, the target audience is iPhone/iPod users. They are not trying to make a new universal controller... I can get a USB one for like $40. Theirs will probably be a bit more.

Exophase said:
BackAssward said:
Now, my only point is, that if the Pandora preorders have partially funded the development of the Pandora architecture (or more than half of it, more likely 75% +), then also the results of that, funded parts of this control pad too.

When people preordered they were only told they were doing so to get a Pandora. One they believed they'd be getting in a few weeks, but nonetheless, that's all it is. Open Pandora never outright said they were raising money for funding, and as such they don't owe anyone anything more than the Pandora they ordered. If people should have a problem with something then it should be that their money was being used for R&D without there being a call for it, rather than simply being used to pay for the parts of the Pandora.

Now, if we were talking about investments then that'd be something else, but no one was investing with the promise of dividends. Even if the people should feel entitled to something, what should OP give them when they weren't going to give them anything more than a Pandora to begin with? Should they get a free iControlPad too?

I would say that the only reason people might have to complain about this is if the icontrolpad development took time away from getting the pandora produced. Since the frequency of icontrolpad posts are pretty few and far between, and since they seem to share some hardware, it does not seem like that is the case. Personally, I hope they make some money on this to keep their businesses afloat, so that they'll be able to keep producing pandoras for the foreseeable future.

Having spent so much time and money to perfect the "perfect" gaming controls for the Pandora, they'd have been ill advised to use any other controls on their iPod gaming controller add-on really, wouldn't they?

I must admit I like the idea of a USB controller using Pandora controls, mostly even more Pandora-ish than this so that a second (and third? and fourth?) player could attach - via USB or, better still, Bluetooth while my Pandora is attached to my TV, for multi-player gaming with the same quality/style gaming controls.

And yes - it's rough getting attacked for perfectly reasonable behaviour, but it happens :(

Monk said:
Having spent so much time and money to perfect the "perfect" gaming controls for the Pandora, they'd have been ill advised to use any other controls on their iPod gaming controller add-on really, wouldn't they?

I must admit I like the idea of a USB controller using Pandora controls, mostly even more Pandora-ish than this so that a second (and third? and fourth?) player could attach - via USB or, better still, Bluetooth while my Pandora is attached to my TV, for multi-player gaming with the same quality/style gaming controls.

And yes - it's rough getting attacked for perfectly reasonable behaviour, but it happens :(

I absolutely agree that they made the best controls for a hand held gaming device. But for an independant gaming control, where you could have elevated analogs, I would rather pay $40 than the $100+ this will cost. It will even cost more if you ad blue tooth, or USB.

It will have a huge hollow area where the iPhone/iPod should go. You can't tell me you want that over a cheap controller you can get in a usual store. One already mass produced and tested.

No, I don't see a business reason why they would even think about that. There is no cost/benefit there. It would cost more to make, than they'd get back in revenue.

Don't get me wrong, MWeston said he was interested in bluetooth for the iPhone connectivity. But if you add bluetooth, and usb (and someone will want wifi, then a camera, etc). It will go on for ever, and you will have a $200 device.

What color should the shed be painted again?

At some point you have to stop the design from slipping, and say, NO, this is the design.

Edit: Btw, if no one yet gets why the change of the battery cover was done. This is why: with the slide, it would pop off if you twisted the Pandora (even just a bit), pop right off. That is why it now has clasps. I don't know for sure who finally figured it out, might have been the company making them, or another. But it is the torque on the case that would dislodge it.

Sorry, off topic, couldn't find the right one for it.

Exophase said:
gp2xs said:
So the iPhone crowd gets the Nintendo-emulator-friendly Y/X, B/A button layout and the Pandora crowd gets the gp2x-like A/Y, X/B layout?

<snip>

The Pandora will likely be unprecedented in portable SNES and other Nintendo emulation performance.
Why did the Pandora not get the Y/X, B/A button layout by default?

How do you know that this isn't what Pandora's getting? The renders with A/B and X/Y parallel to each other are ancient, and were made before people started making a fuss about it.
I got that notion from the recent renders from ED (currently posted on most "official" sites) and this comment from Craigx:

craigix said:
You can just (carefully) open the case and move the buttons around if you want to. We tried to use a layout which had not been used by any other big consoles. Remember that if you do move them you might have to adjust any software which names the buttons.
Link to Craigx Comment

Upon seeing the Y/X, B/A layout of the iControlpad I am asking why they chose not to do this for the Pandora? Or has something changed?

Nice re-design. I don't have a i-Whatever but i like the Idea of this Device. Very clever to use already existing Pandora-parts. :) I don't know much about the iPhone but does it require special Firmware to run such a Device together with the phone or is the iControllPad supported straight after pluging in? (For example control the most Apps onto the Phone with the Controlpad)

Oh, are there Pix frum the Shoulder Butttons? ARE there Shoulderbuttons onto the new Device? The Fingers seem to have trouble to reach the Top of the Unit.

Back