Our Other Non-pandora Project, Iphone Dpad!

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Hello everyone, Craig here,

This is actually about another project I have been involved with called
the iControlPad - which basically gives the iPhone REAL controls.

We have been frustrated by the iPhone controls in homebrew games and
emulators so decided to actually make a case for it which has a proper
Dpad and buttons.

http://www.iControlPad.com

It's going to be cheap and it's going to totally open up the iPhone dev
scene to something near GP2X levels. But I need your help, I need you
all to digg the post on the page so people can actually hear about this thing.
Oh and tell everyone.

digg link thing

I hope you can digg that.

True the iPhone isn't up to even GP2X levels for emulation etc. but I still like the idea of it being opened up with real controls.

Yeah we are going to make a case which fits that too, Zod is doing a good job of porting over the best GP2X apps to the iTouch/iPhone.

Awesome idea! But the picture doesn't look too good, besides it looks like the buttons on the right side are not organised in a square. Great feat though! Almost makes me wish I had an iPhone although I love my N95

Ah it's just our mockup in that picture, the final one will have a diamond set up, and real 'classic' dpad.

We just wanted to get the news out and see what people think really, is there a lot of interest in iphone dev if it has real controls...

YES!

I have actually been searching and wanting something like this for ages, ever since i used zod's great emu's on my itouch

B) :)

Yeah the iPhone isn't in the same league as the Pandora but for people who have mentioned they want a phone and game system combination I think this is the best answer, if any of you are interested in iPhone dev check out zodttd.com which is the site of our very own zodttd (the PSX emu). The iPhone has an ARM cpu just like the GP2X so they can both help each other and the Pandora by giving us the biggest possible amount of devs.

Oh yeah and if any of you are reading this with a digg account dig the story! It's almost on the top 10 up and coming, the more devs we can attract to ARM the better (and we are hoping this device will pay for some of the money pit like pandora costs).

I just hope you won´t be creating a competitor for the pandora.

Just imagine noone buying a pandora because now the iphone has decent controls too :wacko:

Fishbong said:
I just hope you won´t be creating a competitor for the pandora.

Just imagine noone buying a pandora because now the iphone has decent controls too :wacko:
??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: ???

lol?

first someone compares pandora to the EEE PC, and now the iPhone???

Last edited by a moderator:
I despise the iPhone, not to mention most things with an 'i' before their name ;) but that is pretty awesome.

Of course i know the two devices aren´t exactly comparable, but in many occasions someone has to decide between the two, just because they´re rather expensive. And now the pandora has one distinct advantage less - usable gaming controls.

For what its worth, I would get one. Currently I haven't bothered to jailbreak my iPhone as haven't seen the point in trying to play games on a device with no controls. Perhaps ive been a bit negative - anyone think there are games worth playing with only the standard screen?

But the ability to have phone, iPod, web, email and games all in one is attractive. ;)

And if it helps finance Pandora, even better.

Hey I've been thinking that someone should have modded the iPhone to have real physical controls, just like this, and I'm glad its coming out!

One question, I can't tell from the pic, but shoulder buttons? Most essential!

andyB911 said:
Perhaps ive been a bit negative - anyone think there are games worth playing with only the standard screen?
The one "game" I really liked on my iPod touch is iPhysics :)

It's brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=554KB0Z52e0

http://iphysics.r4m0n.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

Puts the accelorometer to good use too

Last edited by a moderator:
If by brilliant, you mean its a direct fucking ripoff of the indie game 'Crayon Physics', the one and the true original, then I guess it's brilliant. But if by brilliant, you mean an original concept and execution, then far from it, my friend.

Those new renders are looking quite nice :)

I can see your worries about clones, and it seems you have applied for a patent :)
(not that this seems to deter some chinese 'manufacturers' :ph34r: )

Actually this project will be really intresting to follow with its release. With developer support and a quality build the Iphone Dpad will sell extremely well. On the other hand if its released before Pandora and has the same developer support it might just eat into Pandora's sales. People who purchase the Iphone Dpad for their Iphone/Touch will have no reason to buy into Pandora. The longer Pandora delays after the Iphone Dpads release might drive potential Pandora buyers to the Iphone/Touch. Could be shooting yourself in the foot. Mind you it will definetly be a bigger seller and if you don't someone else will unless Apple finds a way to sue on some kind of patent infringement. Iphone Dpad vs Pandora. Weird little Catch-22.

Back