Official Wii Launch Details

Mosch posted on Sep 15 2006 at 10:24 PM said:
Ganepark32 posted on Sep 15 2006 at 07:25 PM said:
Bad luck then as nintendo UK as just stated that the announcement yesterday about games being region free was a mistake and that all games and online content will be region locked.

DAMMIT!! Have a source for me? Please don't.
look on IGN

Last edited by a moderator:
Game spot say about it in there Rumour Control sounds like it's region free/region coded same as the Xbox.
So its upto the developers.

Gamespot

Now that the final details are out, I can't help but feel considerably less excited about the Wii.

£179 is way too much for the Wii. Can anyone really say the expected it to be that much? It was touted as being the '2nd machine' that everyone would own...but at this price, is it still the case?

It's £20 less than the XBOX 360 - which is (and I don't mean this in a fanboy way) a superior machine in nearly every way. How can just a £20 difference be justified?

Then there's the very concept of Wii (i.e WE, together) - you only get one control in the box, not good. Shocking but that's the way consoles are launched these days - doesn't say much about the Wii though does it, I thought this was thiking 'outside the box - you know, innovation)? Ok, buy another pad...HOW MUCH?! It's gonna set you back another £45 to get another wand and analog stick. Then there's another £15 for the retro pad....at least you can use your Gamcube pad eh? (what with the nice d-pad on it).

The Virtual Console...£2-5 each for old game....do the kids really want these? And those that do...especially on a GP32 board, have all the games anyway - FOR FREE. I'll stick to my XBOX on this I think.

Nintendo USA say region free, Nintendo Europe say it isn't - then it's confirmed it isn't. What's going on, a mix up or lies?

Finally, there's the lack of HDTV support...ok, essentially the Wii is nothing more than souped up Gamecube with a magic wand, but still at least give us something nice to look at - if the Wii isn't powerful enough, then why the high price tag?Then there's the unconfirmed but likely PAL sting - when will Nintendo stop screwing Europe? (Price fixing case anyone) - not even progressive scan. Very, very poor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to get a Wii, I love everything about the concept...the machine itself should be great fun...however, I can't help but feel dissapointed by the above.

That's all I'll say on it.

They slapped an extra £20 inc VAT (I think) on there compared to US price, which I find hard to justify. They do it because they know people will still buy it. Could have been worse though...I'm looking at you, Sony... :angry:

VAT and the free copy of Wii sports in the box is what has shoved the price up. Awhile back, in another thread, I said it would be this price. Im not bothered too much about the price as such because in the end I know im not going to have to spend like £50 for a game. But come xmas time, microsoft will definitely bring the price of the Xbox360 core system down to £180. I think, however, the price for the console will be justified in the games. Maybe not straight away (wats up with metroid not coming till next year) but later games will definitely make that price worth it. Hopefully (although we all know it'll happen) there won't be any terrible porting from other consoles to the wii. Twilight Princess, i mean it doesn't need a free hand controller to play and because they are releasing it on Wii anyone wanting it on Gamecube will have to wait till 11th december. I mean come on. We've been waiting for it to be released on GC for over a year now!

How much is the Wii Premium? ;)

Why have they made WiiSports look so last-gen? It smells of a technology demo that's been tweaked and bundled, for that is what it is, but don't they realise that people expect to be visually wowed by a new console? Sure, those who are already converted to Nintendism will appreciate the new controller technology, but there will be many more who won't want to look like a dick swinging a remote control around in front of the telly.

Compare:
01.jpg
cod3ut5.jpg

i dont really care for graphics or realism in games. if i have fun and enjoy playing the games, then thats cool. Nintendo Wii is definately calling out to me and it looks like ill be preordering one soon :D

PokeParadox posted on Sep 19 2006 at 01:10 PM said:
You can't... they are different genres for a start...

I preordered today ^___^
where?

Yeah, Vimacs- in UK you can preorder almost anywhere. But here in Germany I haven't found anywhere yet. My local Saturn said "What's a Nintendo Wii?"!!!

So if you or anyone else here in Germany here of a good reliable preorder shop, please let me know!

Why are we so slow here???

meltbanana posted on Sep 19 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
i dont really care for graphics or realism in games. if i have fun and enjoy playing the games, then thats cool. Nintendo Wii is definately calling out to me and it looks like ill be preordering one soon :D

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the Wii :) I'm just wondering why they haven't incorporated fancy gameplay and fancy graphics in this launch bundle game? I mean they must have had enough people and time, it's like they just weren't bothered, which seems a little naive when graphics are a major selling point for a new console.

ste_167 posted on Sep 19 2006 at 12:30 PM said:
meltbanana posted on Sep 19 2006 at 01:05 PM said:

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the Wii :) I'm just wondering why they haven't incorporated fancy gameplay and fancy graphics in this launch bundle game? I mean they must have had enough people and time, it's like they just weren't bothered, which seems a little naive when graphics are a major selling point for a new console.

But if the graphics are good enough, then what more do you want? Beauty can be done in a minimal way. Why does everything have to look like a PC game?

Having spent a while watching the vids of these sport games, I am SO looking forward to them, and their simple, smooth and clean looks!

its always the same with launch titles though for any console. the launch games are just enough to keep people interested until better games come along.

wait until the Wii has been out a few months and then expect the level to be raised on graphics and gameplay. it always happens

Bundling wiisports with the console makes sense: You can get the hang of the controller and experience what can be done with it and not be distracted by a complex game. They also don't want to upset the 3rd parties by bundling it with a game that would keep people playing it instead of buying another one with the console.

But if the graphics are good enough, then what more do you want? Beauty can be done in a minimal way. Why does everything have to look like a PC game?

I don't need convincing (especially as I'm a bit of a Nintendo fan 'boi'..), I'm trying to view things through the eyes of someone less clued up.

I've read many Wii vs PS3 vs Xbox360 threads and to many, graphics do matter.

Compare:
xbwiiua7.jpg

ste_167 posted on Sep 19 2006 at 03:30 PM said:

I don't need convincing (especially as I'm a bit of a Nintendo fan 'boi'..), I'm trying to view things through the eyes of someone less clued up.

I've read many Wii vs PS3 vs Xbox360 threads and to many, graphics do matter.
but it's not necessarily people who argue about console graphics in forums that Nintendo are focusing on. Its more about people who care about gameplay, who want to try something new, non-gamers, and Nintendo fans.

Nintendo may alienate some of the teenage, male, "my console has better graphics than yours" market, but could well gain in other markets. Just like the DS has done. After all, they can't really financially compete with Sony and MS in the power stakes anymore.

I hope it does well. It has to be said the Xbox360 has been rather uninspiring so far. The new Mario game looks alot of fun, there's only so many PC FPS ports I can take in a year!