Official Gp2x Complaint Thread

Paradox posted on Feb 8 2006 at 12:47 AM said:
icurafu posted on Feb 8 2006 at 12:16 AM said:
why no wireless? it's the 21st century....
yes, a wifi would be worth the extra $50 added to the cost, so I can play against the 2 or 3 people in canberra who have a GP2x, that I don't know or care about.

i would pay an extra £30 for wifi, who wouldnt? i'd even go out and buy a wireless router on top of that. multiplayer gaming, online RPG's? online racing games, puzzles, why the fuck not?

Meh. WiFi ,Schmi Fi. It is not worth the cost for something that 12 of us may use once or twice. It is not a laptop or PDA, nor is it popular like the PSP where everyone and their brother has one to play multiplayer with. You want online RPG's buy a PS2 or an Xbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
8-way? why? K.I.S.S.
8-way is better then fourway.
i know just one console which used 8-way and thats the neo geo and few arcades.
every other system all nintendo, sega, etc. used 4 way sticks.

so why use a different stick, if the GP2X is mainly used for emulating these systems plus homebrew, which mostly uses the capacities of these systems?

0-bake posted on Feb 8 2006 at 01:02 AM said:
8-way? why? K.I.S.S.
8-way is better then fourway.
i know just one console which used 8-way and thats the neo geo and few arcades.
every other system all nintendo, sega, etc. used 4 way sticks.

so why use a different stick, if the GP2X is mainly used for emulating these systems plus homebrew, which mostly uses the capacities of these systems?

The intellivision used 16-way, but we don't have an emu for that anyway.

Winterkid posted on Feb 7 2006 at 06:10 PM said:
Well, the buttons aren't too small, your thumb is too big, but just think about what they say about guys with big hands and big feet.

Just kidding, I find the buttons slightly small as well, but still workable.

Actually thats just hands and btw NICKSPOON i saw your comment on engadget. :lol:

DaveC posted on Feb 8 2006 at 12:58 AM said:
Meh. WiFi ,Schmi Fi. It is not worth the cost for something that 12 of us may use once or twice. It is not a laptop or PDA, nor is it popular like the PSP where everyone and their brother has one to play multiplayer with. You want online RPG's buy a PS2 or an Xbox.

I agree 100% it's not like the gp2x is extremely popular so you can sit on a bus or whatever and some dude 3 rows down is playing his. Then he can connect to your wi-fi and the two of you can have a merry old multiplayer time until it's time to get off said bus. :p
A lot of these niggles people have with it are ridiculous and most of the ones that are not can either be sorted already (using DaveC's cap for example) or will be soon, (firmware updates, official GPH ones or community ones when GPH finally release the source).
This console is never going to be as streamlined or as user friendly as a PSP and I like it that way, hell that’s why it’s a crap load cheaper for a start off. I’ve said this before it’s still really in a beta stage you just need to wait, be patient and you will start to see this system really shine.

I think one thing that would really add user friendliness to it is a little PC application that comes with the 2X that allows you to put a DVD in your drive and it rips it into the format the 2X reads, just a suggestion though.

Jester posted on Feb 7 2006 at 08:16 PM said:

I agree 100% it's not like the gp2x is extremely popular so you can sit on a bus or whatever and some dude 3 rows down is playing his. Then he can connect to your wi-fi and the two of you can have a merry old multiplayer time until it's time to get off said bus. :p
A lot of these niggles people have with it are ridiculous and most of the ones that are not can either be sorted already (using DaveC's cap for example) or will be soon, (firmware updates, official GPH ones or community ones when GPH finally release the source).
This console is never going to be as streamlined or as user friendly as a PSP and I like it that way, hell that’s why it’s a crap load cheaper for a start off. I’ve said this before it’s still really in a beta stage you just need to wait, be patient and you will start to see this system really shine.

I think one thing that would really add user friendliness to it is a little PC application that comes with the 2X that allows you to put a DVD in your drive and it rips it into the format the 2X reads, just a suggestion though.

My bus every day has me and DCGM playing right next to eachother... :p

Oh, and to that file browser comment, the new one has delete, move, copy, and paste.

Winterkid posted on Feb 8 2006 at 02:10 AM said:
Well, the buttons aren't too small, your thumb is too big, but just think about what they say about guys with big hands and big feet.

Just kidding, I find the buttons slightly small as well, but still workable.

Oh no, the buttons are fine, they're just too close to eachother.

Guys with big feet wear big shoes, I'd imagine. :unsure:

whiskthecat posted on Feb 7 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Feb 7 2006 at 04:01 PM said:
I got one ...

I find myself playing it so much, it's wearing a shiny spot around the buttons.

Seriously, it's starting to look ugly :(

Thats oil from your fingers. Try using a damp cloth on it.

Nope. Still there.

Should I return my unit, I mean ... I paid damn good money for this POS with the easy-to-shine plastic case!!

;)

A lot of people have 2 and 4gb microdrives that work in CF devices already...any it would be kinda nice to be able to use them....but not a huge deal...

PSyMastR posted on Feb 8 2006 at 02:29 AM said:
My bus every day has me and DCGM playing right next to eachother... :p

Oh, and to that file browser comment, the new one has delete, move, copy, and paste.

Won't there be some sort of link cable that would allow 2 player games?

Cbass182 posted on Feb 8 2006 at 03:11 AM said:
A lot of people have 2 and 4gb microdrives that work in CF devices already...any it would be kinda nice to be able to use them....but not a huge deal...

We have 4 gb SD cards so no need for a microdrive which would be a power sucker anyway. Now hopefully GPH will officially support 4GB. I think one 4gb brand was said to accidentally work, unfortunately it could also accidentally not work in the next FW upgrade. Of course by the time GPH releases the next FW there will be 8 gig cards out ;)

movies used to work for me, but then the sync broke in 1.2.1--and I refuse to downgrade.

as for other problems, I'm seriously considering moving the AC adapter since it looks like there's pleanty of room up by the SD (as seen in pictures). If this fails, I'll make a couple 'dummy' batteries out of some 1/4" machine screws and spacers to wire AC right through the back of the battery compartment.

I may even go as far as to put video out on a second phono plug up there by the SD--a lot of pocket TVs have similar for their TV-in. Assuming the pinout is correct on the wiki.

if there's a *ton* of room up there on top, some case shaving and a switch and I could have the two SD slots I crave.

joystick issues are starting to come together in software, and davec's cap makes me almost forget about the issue, but that doesn't make the control 'correct'.

these plans are nothing...my poor first gameboy really got it:
http://www.geocities.com/reaperman93010/

TelcoLou posted on Feb 7 2006 at 11:54 PM said:
Reaperman93010 posted on Feb 7 2006 at 10:58 PM said:
>snip<

these plans are nothing...my poor first gameboy really got it:
http://www.geocities.com/reaperman93010/

I'm reporting your ass to the police! Butcher! ;)

I wish I knew that much about hardware to just be able to consider doing that...

The only complaints I have are the following:

No Source.
Joystick is garbage.. and I shouldn't have to buy a 3rd party cap to fix it.
Battery life.

All of the above can be fixed one way or another. But I am most disgruntled about the source and joystick. Other than that I am a happy camper.

Paradox posted on Feb 8 2006 at 12:47 AM said:
why no wireless? it's the 21st century....
yes, a wifi would be worth the extra $50 added to the cost, so I can play against the 2 or 3 people in canberra who have a GP2x, that I don't know or care about.

i would pay an extra £30 for wifi, who wouldnt? i'd even go out and buy a wireless router on top of that. multiplayer gaming, online RPG's? online racing games, puzzles, why the fuck not?

why? it can be hooked up to the TV and be used in the exact same way, IIRC over 8,000 units had been sold, which was about a month or so ago, i think a lot more than 12 people would use the WiFi, considering just the amount of people here who talked about wanting SDIO wifi, etc.

timbobsteve posted on Feb 8 2006 at 06:01 AM said:
Joystick is garbage.. and I shouldn't have to buy a 3rd party cap to fix it.

I agree 100%

I also think It was a terrible idea to make gamers fit the screen themselves, If GPH had done it ,alot of confusion over the "3" protective strips would have been avoided.

Paradox posted on Feb 8 2006 at 03:17 AM said:
why? it can be hooked up to the TV and be used in the exact same way, IIRC over 8,000 units had been sold, which was about a month or so ago, i think a lot more than 12 people would use the WiFi, considering just the amount of people here who talked about wanting SDIO wifi, etc.

I have a hard time believing you really think surfing the web with no keyboard or mouse, clicking links with a button and D-Pad, is an appealing concept. Same for trying to type by pointing at letters and hitting a button. Entering your INITIALS in most games is a big enough pain in the ass. (Why do you think few games ever ask for your whole name?) As for games using it, they'd be so few and far between with the kind of complexity involved in taking a game and making it able to operate in synchronization with ANOTHER machine, and to add all the network code. There'd be so few it would not be worth it.

Back