Gp2x Versions And An "official" Release?

retro-haven

Still Fresh
Is it possible to clarify exactly what versions of the GP2x are available and also what the position is concerning what I read on this forum as the "official" release?

I understand the 1st edition as being badged (and constructed) slightly differently but then after this, how many versions have been available?

I bought mine last week from gp2x.co.uk and have no idea what it is I have excepting that it is not the 1st version - I note the thread concerning the GP2x Mk2 with dismay.

It concerns me that I read here about "Official" release dates etc. for the hardware when despite buying the machine from the official UK supplier on spec as being the finished article.
At no point was I advised I was buying something that was not complete or "officially" released and would be interested in the official word on the subject.

Don't take the above as a wholesale bitch about the GP2x because the machine as it stands is truly wonderful. It has already provided me with hours of enjoyment and no doubt will continue to do so.

However, if it turns out that I could have waited a few short weeks and been able to purchase a superior machine I would feel disgruntled and misled at the least if the hardware I bought as the finished article is actually in "beta".
I fully understand hardware revisions and updates and have no issue at all with that as improvements can only enhance the GP2x experience. If its just my timing being off in my purchase then its a case of shrugging the shoulders and carrying on as before.
Its just the whole "is it finished or not?" thing that has me posting this topic.

Perhaps I do have the most recent version but am missing the information and experience to confirm.

If anyone can clarify it would be great.

Many Thanks.

Well, there were a few editions with slight changes in them.

Here are the one I am aware of by fixing a lot of gp2x ;)
I'll only list the new changes they added.

1. First Edition: Original release.
2. First Edition: Headphone better soldered, resistor manually exchanged, piece of stick cap cut off as
the original cap mostly always prevented pressing to the left or right.
3. First Edition: Some rubber pads removed (and they are now red instead of black) to reduce the
Plasma Effect when pressing stick button
Also: Speakers now have longer cables (yay!) and have some protective coat.
And: They manually cut off some rubber from the DC / USB Plug so that it fits better in.
4. Normal Edition: The coating on the battery contacts is no longer there. The headphone port gets fixated
by some glue, the LED cover is now milky white instead of totally transparent
(some First Editions, though only a minor few, also seem to have this already!)
5. Normal Edition: They put some tape on top of the battery contacts right below the case.
Don't know what for.

That's all I can remember now... so there always had been minor hardware changes :)

Wow. I guess I dont have to worry about my headphone port anymore, as Ive got a milky white non 1st edition. :D

EDIT: If I were to buy an Arm 920 that was the exact model, and one that wasn't a rejected 266, would it be compatable, if I were to machine sodder it back into the board?

PSyMastR posted on May 4 2006 at 01:16 AM said:
Wow. I guess I dont have to worry about my headphone port anymore, as Ive got a milky white non 1st edition. :D

EDIT: If I were to buy an Arm 920 that was the exact model, and one that wasn't a rejected 266, would it be compatable, if I were to machine sodder it back into the board?

Nice idea, but somehow I doubt something like that would work =( Let's hope though :p

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on May 4 2006 at 03:16 AM said:

So, they've started producing different colorschemes, then... ;)

PSyMastR posted on May 4 2006 at 02:16 AM said:
If I were to buy an Arm 920 that was the exact model, and one that wasn't a rejected 266, would it be compatable, if I were to machine sodder it back into the board?
Nope, afraid not. For one thing, soldering a chip will take more than a £20 iron from maplin and I doubt you have access to a PCB plant.

Secondly, it isn't a 920T chip, it's a MMSP2 chip that contains the two processors, the accelerator chip and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Basically, it's a system on a chip, not a system made up of a bunch of processors on a board.

Sorry, but no upgrades for you!

FluffyPanda posted on May 4 2006 at 01:30 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on May 4 2006 at 02:16 AM said:
If I were to buy an Arm 920 that was the exact model, and one that wasn't a rejected 266, would it be compatable, if I were to machine sodder it back into the board?
Nope, afraid not. For one thing, soldering a chip will take more than a £20 iron from maplin and I doubt you have access to a PCB plant.

Secondly, it isn't a 920T chip, it's a MMSP2 chip that contains the two processors, the accelerator chip and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Basically, it's a system on a chip, not a system made up of a bunch of processors on a board.

Sorry, but no upgrades for you!

Not that fast! ;)

There are at least two options to augment hardware capabilities of GP2x.
(and no - I'm not talking about my small converter here)

hint1: there is one FFC/FPC socket inside...
hint2: there are some data busses exposed as well...

But question is - would it worth the effort? So far software weren't using the MMSP2 chipset to full extent, even to the half of it.

hmm, i have a first edition unit, and i get that plasma effect thing when i use the stick. I've never been overly bothered by it, but how easy would it be to remove these "pads"?

Cheers Dave

pretty easy, but you probably dont even have to.
You can just try to loosen the screws a bit, should fix it in about 80% of the cases.

Yep. It's easy.
If loosening the screws won't help, open up the gp2x and simply remove the pads.

Cool, cheers i'll try it when i have a screwdriver to hand. As i said, it doesn't bother me much at all, so loosening the screws should probably do the trick.

Cheers Dave

Back